Thread: C-can ceramic magnets

C-can ceramic magnets

what makes one better then another one? you have mura,t5,koford,just to name a few, all around the same price except for the T5. does one have a better field then another,? whats the real deal? is a $20 magnet the same as the $10 ones?

The first thing to note is ignore the package hype. They're ALL radially oriented (unless you find a decade old set of RJR's), and they will all fit a C can, more or less. None of them is very well matched, especially the ones that claim to be (Mura red dots excepted. they're better than random) on the package.

The Mura mags are the most accurately sized. The latest Koford magnets - allowing that they are a wee bit thicker - are consistantly stronger, by just a bit. However, strong is not always best. On a modest powered track, a lesser magnet will prevail. Tip shape becomes crucial if a lot of honeing is contemplated, and here the T5 magnets seem to be the ticket. For flat track gt-12 racing or even LMP/B prod., what you want is pure RPM and the T5 mags deliver, when gapped large and in the matching Cahoza can. The higher price on T5 magnets is mostly because they're an import.

Even the old ProSlot SMQ magnets have a place on truly low powered tracks.

I personally will not even consider an angled tip C can magnet, but you can experiment and you might get lucky.

Finally, NEVER mix magnet makes in a motor, even if your metrology says they are matched, since minor differences in shape do play a role. Mura red and blue dots are essentially identical. The 'cryogenic' treatment was never established as useful for magnets by anyone, although it did seem to make aluminum drag gears a bit tougher. On the other hand, note that Mura magnets are longer than T5 or Koford mags. The difference is about 1 gram.

All ceramic magnets on the market take a charge well from a decent zapper. NOS Mabuchi magnets from the 60's and 1980' vintage D can magnets do not.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

Thanks Monty, I have a set of T5's just the honeing is giving me pause. I did some research and this was very helpful also. Thanks for your time.
    http://slotmonsters.com/slot-car-tes...-strength.ashx

neuspeed,

Careful with applying HO car lore to 1/24 stuff - it doesn't always relate. For instance, HO cars have magnets machined from a block: C can mags are cut extrusions or sintered in a mold, and the field is radialized before firing the ceramic. Block magnets in an HO car are used to pull the car down to the rail. In a motor (pretty much any per-mag motor, not just a slotcar) they are repelling the armature. Therefore the measuring by picking up BBs is largely bunk. A tRIK-Trax meter will resolve modern C magnets into the mid 4xx range (not gauss units) but you ain't gonna pick up 450 BBs with a T5. Modern C magnets are beyond grade C8, there are actually dozens of grades and coersive force is only one of several criteria. I could go on, but you get the idea...

One important factor I didn't mention before is resistance to heat. Here the T5 is king, and I have the singed fingertips from some unintended testing to show for that conclusion. Long story...

Honeing isn't hard, just tedious. Use a well charged portable drill, do it in the sink under a slow water flow, and slow down as you break through the back side to avoid chipping. A water blast will get most of the dust out, the rest can be wiped up with damp cotten swabs. Go for it!!
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

well thanks again for putting me on the right path, I will build a motor using the T5 and compare the two motors using all the same components including air gap. I am using all koford parts including the m606 magnets. I am using a 45deg arm with a 534 air gap I am seeing 2.5 to 2.6 on a 160" king at PCH. I don't know if its fast as the rest of the world but gets the job done at our races.