Thread: 16 D motor

16 D motor

Monty,

What set-up and hole size do you like for a 16D race motor with a .560 arm? Track power is 13.8 and they are 155' to 220' in length.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Jeff714; 09-17-2010 at 10:18 AM.

Jeff,

I use the FX setup as marketed by ProSlot or Kelly, naturally doing all the good stuff like hardware alignment, magnet matching, and moving the magnets a bit forward in the can to accomodate a wider range of armatures.

I beleive in running the largest hole you can get, which will turn out to be .577' - .580". 16d magnets and armatres are BIG, and its easy to be overmagneted. I prefer to run high RPM motors over high torque motors, because that improves handeling.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

Thanks Monty!

One last thing. What is a good baseline to use for amp draw when test running on a power supply?
    Last edited by Jeff714; 09-18-2010 at 06:35 AM.

For me, 3-5 amps on a 16d, high timed. The first thing to try when you don't get enough current draw is different brushes. After being lucky for a long time, I have now had two bulk packs of cr*p and close to c*ap for brushes.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

Hi Monty!

At what voltage should we be seeing that current?

I did some testing on a 16D motor that didn't have enough oomph to it .:. before touching it, I ran it at 3 volts and got 3 amps. I then changed from original springs to champion light springs. The original springs had noticibly more tension. I then ran the motor at 3 volts again but the voltage went down to around 2.75amps. I brought the voltage up to 6 volts and the amps stayed about the same.

Any thoughts, or comments? The motor is a kelly set-up with a viper .560 arm.

Thanks,

Mikey D