Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just thought I'd mention....

Ken - I agree with your comments which is why I took the effort to photograph and share Brian's work for everyone to admire.

I'd like to have seen Jack Beers enter a couple of cars in the ISRA Worlds...
    ‎‎"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs 1955-2011

MG,

I kinda knew that you felt that way, and why you posted the pics. Just wanted to throw my two cents in.

I actually spoke to Jack last night on the way home from the track. I asked him why he hadn't done some bodies for this race. From that, conversation, and other recent ones, I don't think he fully understood just how big of an event this was going to be.
    Ken Swanson

Team BOW
    JK Products
    Chicagoland Raceway
    Mid-America Raceway
    ISRA USA Great Lakes Region
    BOWskateer Founding member # 001
    R.I.P. Monty. Miss You My Friend

Interesting sidebar info Thanks.

FYI Jack still has time to paint up a couple duplicate 1/24th ISRA R10 for 1/24th Euros tommorow if he pulls an all nighter and hands it to Lee to mount on one of his customers.....insert wink....

Raymond

I would love love love to see Jack do just what Raymond is suggesting.
    ‎‎"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs 1955-2011

I was just told that Kevin Van Pelt is withdrawing his car and feels that Brian Meharry should be awarded ES32 Concours.

I wanted to take note of Kevin's gesture of good sportsmanship.

That’s an impressive gesture by Kevin, says a lot about a man.. Very cool and very classy.

There have been questions raised about the team name in the Plafit PanAm "Roundheads".

While only the team members can be sure of why the name was picked; it could be referring to a group of supporters of Parliament during the English Civil War. Also known as Parliamentarians, they fought against King Charles I and his Cavaliers (Royalists) who claimed absolute power and the divine right of kings.

Most roundheads appear to have sought a constitutional monarchy, in place of the absolutist monarchy sought by Charles I, but at the end of the Second Civil War in 1649, republican leaders such as Oliver Cromwell were in a strong position to abolish the monarchy completely and establish the republican Commonwealth. The roundhead commander-in-chief of the first Civil War, Lord Fairfax, remained a supporter of constitutional monarchy, as did many other roundhead leaders such as Edward Montagu.

Roundheads tended to be Puritan or Presbyterian but also included many smaller groups such as the Independents. Roundhead political factions included Diggers, Levellers and Fifth Monarchists.

The Roundheads' enemies, the Royalist supporters of King Charles I of England, were nicknamed Cavaliers.

"Roundheads" appears to have been first used as a term of derision toward the end of 1641, when the debates in Parliament in the Bishops Exclusion Bill were causing riots at Westminster. Some, but by no means all, of the Puritans wore their hair closely cropped round the head, and there was an obvious contrast between them and the men of courtly fashion with their long ringlets. One authority said of the crowd which gathered there, "They had the hair of their heads very few of them longer than their ears, whereupon it came to pass that those who usually with their cries attended at Westminster were by a nickname called Roundheads." According to John Rushworth (Historical Collections) the word was first used on 27 December 1641 by a disbanded officer named David Hide, who during a riot is reported to have drawn his sword and said he would "cut the throat of those round-headed dogs that bawled against bishops".

Or they could have been just referring to "Roundheads Pizza Pub" a few steps away from the raceway, where many participants gathered at the end of the racing day to consume an adult beverage and the like. It should be noted that Roundheads Pizza Pub was an official sponsor of ISRA Worlds 2010 and as such the business logo appeared on the back of the Worlds 2010 event t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by M G Brown View Post
    There have been questions raised about the team name in the Plafit PanAm "Roundheads".
    MG:

Thanks for the claification, I was beginning to think it was because Mike Stahl has a round head. Insert round headed smilie here....

Raymond

I'm locking this thread, because once again, the kids can't seem to play nice together in the sandbox without arguing.

I have deleted the quibbling... as I did not see any ill will intended in any of the posts I left above.

(I really think the concours issue was not meant to degrade or offend anyone... and certainly was not meant to start trouble. I deleted all posts regarding that non-issue)

It's a shame that after a week of such great racing with great racers from all over the world, meeting & racing together... that some people just can't seem to help but toss a wet blanket over it when discussing it online.

I am positive that everyone in attendance had a fantastic time. Those of us who watched online got a taste of it.

Let's focus on the positive and quit trying to spoil such a good thing, ok?

Paul K aka "mom"
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 10-13-2010 at 12:47 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12