Thread: Wheel hubs and donuts

Wheel hubs and donuts

Hello guys,
    can someone please tell me who sells 1/24 scale wheel hubs and donuts?
    Thank you.
    Alvin b.

Check with Paul Peiffer at Alpha. Remember that you can recycle hubs from worn out tires, just give them a soak in lacquer thinner, old rubber will pop right off. Use solvent based contact cement from hardware store to attach new rubber.
    Improving performance one hazardous material at a time.

Thanks stevedee for the recycle tip i have ten pairs to work with and i'll check out peiffer in a few days.

SteveDee, I did like you said except I used paint thinner and it worked like a dream. I put the tires in a glass jar with a lid and let them soak for 24 hours occasionally shaking the jar. The only thing I have to add is when opening the jar and removing the tire off the hub, try not to do this indoors because the aroma is strong. Now I have to study the threads on how to glue on donuts and I'll be fine. Thanks again.

Rear wheels are made of primarily two rubber compounds: Natural and Wonder. Natural sometimes referred to as "Fish" for its unique smell are softer tires which are best suited for scale and flat track racing where the cars lack the aerodynamic downforce prevalent in wing car racing. With such they wear faster and provide much more traction (bite).
    Wonder rubber is a harder compound and provides less traction and longer wear. They work best for wing car racing where the aerodynamic downforce is greater due to the wings making traction less of an issue.

Raw unmounted rubber available in several compounds for those that want to save money by mounting new tires on old wheels.
    Mounting Instructions:

1. Remove rubber from old wheels by soaking them in a glass jar with lacquer thinner overnight. Old rubber will easily slide off of the wheels.
    2. Thoroughly clean any leftover glue residue from wheels, wash in soapy water and rinse thoroughly
    3. Check each wheel on an appropriate axle to ensure set screws are not stripped. This can also be chucked up in a dremel or similuar moto-tool and simplify cleaning and roughing the wheel.
    4. thoroughly coat inside of tires and outside of wheel. It is recommended that you apply a second coat after the first has dried.
    5. firmly slide the tires oto the wheel ensuring the wheel is centered in the tire. (A quick dip of the wheel in lacquer thinner will aide in getting the tire to slide onto the wheel
    6. Roll the glued pieces to ensure the tire is properly glued to the wheel over its entire diameter.

Your new tires can be trimmed to size using a Hudy tire truer or equivalent.

Regards,
    Jim
    Jim Radford
    Pacific Slot Car Raceways
    http://www.shoppscr.com
    Visit us on Facebook
    (253) 446-5039
    Host site of the 2014 & 2016 DIV II USRA Nationals

There was a very good how to about mounting tires floating around a while back. I'll do some digging and see if I can find it. If not, I can email it to you.
    Last edited by Firerescue127; 11-18-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: because........
    When you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humor have an increased sense of self-importance...
    Nick D

MORNING-WOOD MOTORSPORTS
    We are stiff competition!

What adhesive do you use?

Jim Radford
    Pacific Slot Car Raceways
    http://www.shoppscr.com
    Visit us on Facebook
    (253) 446-5039
    Host site of the 2014 & 2016 DIV II USRA Nationals

Weldwood is a great adhesive(buy at Walmart or any hardware store). Coat the hub evenly and coat the inside of the donut let them both dry, usually for 24 hours. Then side the hub on a tire wrench with a 3/32 (tip saves many blisters on your fingers), Dip in Lacquer Thinner and slide into the donut quickly move it around to the correct position let dry for 24 hours at least, no harm if you wait longer the glue will be activated by the lacquer thinner. Then you can true as you need them.
    The easiest way to coat the hubs is to put 30+ on a piece of 3ft piano wire tighten the 2 end set screws so that it looks like 1 giant hub the paint them with a foam paint brush, easy to get an even cover and no paint brush hairs, throw the brush away after using. Before you start bend a 45 degree angle in your wire then you can hang on a nail to air dry.

This is all excellent information, just wanted to confirm that this is exactly how I do it. I love Weldwood, the best stuff for tire gluing. I've also heard of reactivating the glue with plain old thinner, but I also use lacquer thinner. Good work gentleman!

Quote Originally Posted by jradford View Post

Mounting Instructions:

1. Remove rubber from old wheels by soaking them in a glass jar with lacquer thinner overnight. Old rubber will easily slide off of the wheels.
    2. Thoroughly clean any leftover glue residue from wheels, wash in soapy water and rinse thoroughly
    3. Check each wheel on an appropriate axle to ensure set screws are not stripped. This can also be chucked up in a dremel or similuar moto-tool and simplify cleaning and roughing the wheel.
    4. thoroughly coat inside of tires and outside of wheel. It is recommended that you apply a second coat after the first has dried.
    5. firmly slide the tires oto the wheel ensuring the wheel is centered in the tire. (A quick dip of the wheel in lacquer thinner will aide in getting the tire to slide onto the wheel
    6. Roll the glued pieces to ensure the tire is properly glued to the wheel over its entire diameter.

Your new tires can be trimmed to size using a Hudy tire truer or equivalent.
    Jim,

Nice instructions, but you omit one step we do and that is checking the wheels for run-out. In a normal batch of used wheels and tires, we find we toss about 15-20% of the cleaned rims because they're too bent to re-use.

Well, there's an excellent tutorial on re-rubbering wheels on that "other board" under the Technical Info & Advice forum.

The title is "Mounting new rubber on old hubs" and the key post in the thread was made by some backmarker named Jay Guard...LOL!!!