Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What motor for under $50?

What motor for under $50?

I'm looking to get into drag racing and I was looking at either the WRP C-6 or C-10 and a hardbody, but I wasn't sure what motor to go with. I was looking to spen around $50 on the motor. What would the fastest and most dependable motor be in this price range? Thanks

Kyle

I usually use a proslot FX setup, and a .550 big block arm. Blue print everything and add a can bearing and it cat about 50.00. They tend to run around 9.2 with a hard body in the 1/4. I also use ablot of Best O' The west S16D High timed arms in the same setups. Super consistant, relaible and still fast.
    Gilbert, AZ
    Falcon Wing/G12/Flexi/Nascar/Drag Race

Kyle,

Is $56 close enough to your price of "about $50" ?

If so, then there is no question what way to go:

BOW #220R - Super 16D Motor - Standard with the Big Diameter Armature. Specify small diameter armature if required. - FX Setup
    Florida Slotter, aka Marty Stanley,
    A "Double 60's" Slot Racer
    Killer X Raceways Team Racer

Monty is using the FX setups now exclusively I believe. You can also get a Kamen.

Keep in Mind Monty ( BOW ) is atleast 30 days out at any given time, but it's well worth the wait or find somebody that has alot of his stuff brand new that will part with something
    Gilbert, AZ

Thank you, Thank you - update and errata

All of you, thanks for the kind words. I always try to build the highest possible quality.

I do use the FX setup for D size motors nowadays, and Shawn's observations on built vs. DIY are pretty accurate.

The price has increased mildly, however. The complete Super 16d (or 16d, for that matter) is now $61.40, including the most recent USRA allowed armature price increase. You can order the same motor with ballbearing in the can for six bucks more. I no longer stock the Kamen or G2 cans. If I did, they would cost about the same as my C motors.

Sorry about the prices being out of date. I'm not capable of editing the BOW website, which is hosted by my dear friend Chris Radisich on his Otinga server. Since moving to Pennsylvania, Chris is even more elusive than before. You can be sure that on any given weekend, he's pulling the trigger somewhere - I just don't know where the where is except for major races like the Nats or Worlds, and he's understandably distracted then.

FWIW, the magshifter can and the wing style bodies are also unavailable.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

This one is easy, but just a couple dollars over 50.

Proslot Speed FX setup PS-2004 $12.00
    Proslot AMERICAN Grp 20 arm PS-107 $40.00
    Golddust brushes/champion light springs $5.00

This setup is easy to glue and should run in the mid-upper .8's about 65mph.

Thanks for the replies everyone. This was going to be a Christmas gift for me, so the wait would be a slight issue. When I was looking for some of the pieces to the setup I had some trouble finding the Proslot Speed FX setup and the Proslot American Grp 20 Arm. Also, b.rad is that with a hardbody or lexan? Thanks for all this help I'm pretty lost when it comes to this.
    Last edited by Kyle Raden; 12-04-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Question

the Bigblock 550 is a G20 arm. they run about 28.00 bux and american made. Mine run .820's with a lexan but every track is different. Power, lenght, setup ability ECT.

I prefere high timed arms as they leave softer and come on strong mid track. PCH has great prices on setups and you will have it in 3 days. He also has about every arm in stock you can imagine. Goldust brushes and cohoza light springs is what I use. Remember fast doesnt win in this game, but consistancy does. If you want to go fast build a open motor
    http://www.e-slotcar.com/catalog/281

Setup 15.00
    Arm 28.00
    B&S 5.00
    Gilbert, AZ

That's great. I couldn't find that armature on that site, but this is what I put together; Kelly 16D/S-16D Motor Setup - KE-2100, Champion Group 20 Armature - 512-A-HT, Proslot Goldust Pro Motor Brushes Pr., Cahoza 3 Coil Springs - Pr. - CAH-254. Would that be a good, reliable setup?

http://www.e-slotcar.com/products/7682

this what you want kyle. The rest of the setup sounds good to me. get yourself a brush alignment tool and bushing alignment tool aswell. The inexpensive koford tool will work fine

Also keep in mind the FX setup has adjustable timing built into the can. I usually will break mine in on a power supply and then adjust the timing to max RPM and lock it down there.
    Last edited by AZHOTSHOE; 12-04-2010 at 09:09 AM.
    Gilbert, AZ

That was very helpful. I'll get that set-up. Thanks

One more thought to ponder as your just getting into drag racing is that is much easier to leave 1st when bracket racing. Rarely will you see the fastest car win the night and most of the time a 15.00 proslot S16D does
    Gilbert, AZ

That is with a hard body. Quickest I have seen with that setup in a hardbody is .830's at 120 grams and .770s @ 90 grams in a lexan car. The big block arms are garbage. http://www.e-slotcar.com/products/3064 is what I would use.

What else would I use in that setup besides that arm? The light springs, gold dust brushes, and the kelly motor setup? I can't seem to find the Proslot Speed FX setup.

The kelly and the proslot are the exact same product. Kelly buys it from proslot and puts a pink lable on it and raises the price. I have never had an issue with a big block arm. a 510 gap IMO is to much for a Dcan 560 magnet setup. If i was going to build a 20 id use a koford C can and the koford .518 HT arm
    Gilbert, AZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast