Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Keeping tracks open

There is not sufficient market in the USA for the manufacturers to be able to afford the kind of advertising that would be seen by potential new customers. Even the largest 2 RTR entry level car mfg's, Parma & JK, do not sell anywhere nearly enough to do any mass market advertising, so there would be no return on investment. Keep in mind that even basic RTR cars still require a commercial or club track in order to use them.

Companies producing 1/32 scale home set cars & tracks like Scalextric, Ninco, SCX, Carrera, and Slot.It, have grown in popularity in the USA over the last 10 years, and I am sure are outselling 1/24 by a considerable amount. Even so, the USA market is a drop in the bucket compared to European sales, where the vast majority of slot cars are sold as toys. In the UK Scalextric does advertise on TV, and is well known as a popular toy - even more so then Aurora or Tyco HO were when I was a kid. I can remember seeing several pages of Aurora & Tyco HO, and Eldon, Strombecker, & Revell sets in the JC Penney or Sears Christmas catalogs when I was young.

Even 1/32 scale is now mostly marketed through hobby shops, since the "big box" toy companies require a much smaller price point for something normally regarded as a disposable toy. There is insufficient market in the USA for even a multinational company as Hornby (Scalextric parent company) to justify mainstream advertising (I know this for a fact, I worked for them).

Those of us reading and posting on this thread and reading online forums, and those of us attending weekly or monthly races, hanging out at the track during the week, or even traveling to big races, still represent a small percentage of the general slot racing clientele. As addicted as we are... we still don't spend enough. MOST commercial raceways simply can not survive on just the regular racers, no matter how loyal we are, or much we spend. There are not enough of us. So we do NEED to get more NEW butts in the door (I'm in total agreement with Team Waa on THAT point).

Therefore - we are back to not passing off the responsibility and expecting somebody else (mfgs & dist) to pay for advertising. We need to look for advertising that will fit the budget and generate the results to fit the local market of the local slot car raceways. Since most commercial raceways are not owned or funded by anyone with deep pockets or money to burn... then the advertising is going to have to be FREE or VERY CHEAP.

This is why we are pooling our knowledge here on this forum - to try to generate ideas for KEEPING TRACKS OPEN (back to that thread title again... clever, huh?).

So rather then simply saying "it is up to the manufacturers and distributors" - what we CAN DO, is to see how many ideas we can come up with to advertise and promote the local raceways, without requiring the kind of capital that simply is not there.

So under the sub-topic of "ADVERTISING" - let's see how many FREE or CHEAP ways we can suggest that a raceway (or it's loyal racers) can advertise or promote with little or no investment. We as the serious racers can help - because without the raceways, all of our fancy high-tech complicated classes of Group F, 10, 12, 27, 7, Falcon, Flexi, One motor, Cobalt, Open, Euro, Wing, Scale, Retro, Womp, LMP, GT, GTP, F1, NASCAR whatever slot car.... they all are nothing but shelf queen dust collectors, or rusty toys in a box in the garage or attic.

Here's a start:

- FREE online local directory listings (already covered)
    - Fliers... posted or handed out on local bulletin boards, laundromats, auto parts stores, schools, churches, fast food & restaurants, etc...
    - Invite Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Brownies, Church youth groups, School groups, college fraternities, Fraternal orgs, etc.
    - Corporate parties, Police, Fire Department, Unions, etc.
    - Put on an event for a local charity or fund raiser, canned food drive, Toys for Tots, Children's Hospital, etc.
    - local newspapers, radio, TV often will do stories on slot car racing, if you have an event or just ask
    - bumper stickers, signs, posters, fliers
    - coupons - free track time... in local coupon mailers, community newspaper, shopper circulars, handed out at events, etc...
    - business cards - hand them out, get racers to hand them out (can also print coupon on back)
    - Web site, Facebook, MySpace - all with local keywords, & address, city & state listed
    - Promote a Special or FREE race event - NO CAR NEEDED or "IROC" style - for new racers
    - "Bring in a friend" race, promo, competition, prize - to get the "regular" racers to recruit friends & family
    - Party/Race - have a big race with a pot luck dinner/barbecue - tell the racers to invite friends, coworkers, family... then let them race (as above)

Wow - I just typed all those off the top of my head... anyone else have some ideas I missed???

FREE or CHEAP ways to advertise or promote a raceway...
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-15-2010 at 06:56 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Just an Idea I watch some TV on my computer hulu and others they run 3 15 second adds at a time since they are short you watch them instead of turning channel on regular TV could be an affordable way for slot tracks to get air time.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    SppedZoneNJ
    www.TheISrausa.com

I really don't think they are affordable since there are so few spots the Air time goes for a premium.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Hahahaha....only echoing everything that was said years ago buddy

Paul, Those comments you posted were said YEARS ago by me and others on this blog and others. When I mentioned those points all I got was wisea$$ comments from you and others. So these things are not new ideas.

I especially like the "New one" you suggested about entry level classes. Around here and other places it is done. And when I mentioned years ago about low cost classes like the "Cheetah motor, nee Falcon now that WE started years ago), most said that would not work. And guess what...IT is the Premier class now for raceways. Falcon class racing has been going on around here for ever dude. IT is one reason we still have tracks in the USA. Jerry Kulich of JK Products saw the need for an inexpensive motor and filled that need, didn't he. And with out the track owners getting behind this it would not have succeeded as a class. Flexi Falcon, Flexi Retro and others.

Same with advertising buddy. The issue with this hobby or industry is getting the word out. And ALL forms need to be tried. But the most effective is ADVERTISING in the media. YOU KNOW that as well as anyone.

Because this industry thinks small it will always just be a niche hobby. That is no ones fault but the people in this hobby.

People in this INDUSTRY like you and others want to foist all the advertising and promotion of this industry on one group of people: THE SLOT CAR RACEWAY OWNER.

When anyone in the past (Me and others) even mention things we get the typical wise$$ answers. So nothing has changed has it Paul, Roman and others.

Time for the manufacturers to put their MONEY on line and promote this hobby in a real way. but you have already said they can't or won't haven't you?

So who do you expect to do this advertising and promotion> ONE ANSWER from you and others...THE TRACK OWNER.

The track owners need to band together and set down the rules of this hobby from how ALL who are in this hobby will act, promote, and advertise.

The BACKBONE of this industry is the track owner Sir. NO NEW suggestions.

What will the other cogs in this industry do? What will the manufacturers do? The racers do?

the only group that care it seems is the track owner as he opens a track and all he gets is pi$$ed on by some of you. You expect the track owner to do the heavy lifting and promote, advertise and keep this hobby going all by himself.

Even going so far as to say or complain:

Free Track Time
    Discount parts
    Payouts for racing
    Prizes donated by the tracks are not enough

And you Paul and Roman K think giving away a few prizes at a National Event is supporting the tracks. That is not what is needed. We don't have a national championship. IT is for a few people only. We can discuss that at another date as that is not positive is it?

The biggest suggestion is a NEW track owners association that has some bite. Tell the Manufacturers what they want. This hobby has been a$$ backwards for years. The tail (Customers, manufacturers, and distributors) have wagged the dog (the industry) for years. An what have we gotten?

And the track owners have let them ...This needs to change now...

Track owners need to unite and set the rules of this industry. Time for change gentlemen.
    Last edited by Team Waa; 12-15-2010 at 08:11 AM.

Wow Best of the Best comment. As usual you are so right on point with the positive suggestions. I can only hope that track owners and those who wish they were owners take heed of your sage advise. I have this argument/discussion with my local track manager on a weekly basis. I feel lucky that I have a great raceway open & close to me. The business world has changed drastically, everybody is on-line. You either get on-board with a online business model or risk going out of business. On-line competition is not going to go away in fact it's growing larger every year.

My closing point: there are more hand-held computers (smart phones) in service than there are PCs. You don't just have to be on-line with your business, you have to be mobile! Your future customers are on their phone right now. Where are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My other car is a Manta Ray

Advertising gets new people in the door, that's a good thing.

Making sure they have fun is what ensures they will return. No different than bowling, laser tag or Chuckie Cheese.
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but anything you catch comes home with you!

You can preach advertising all you want. The key is actually doing it. maybe some suggestions on what you guys feel advertising is and what kind of budget is needed for advertising.

Track employees could play a big roll in this as they spend alot of time during the week doing very little. Most track employees are younger so its a great time to teach the valuable traits and set goals just like they will see in the real job market.
    Gilbert, AZ
    Falcon Wing/G12/Flexi/Nascar/Drag Race

Quote Originally Posted by Team Waa View Post
    And when I mentioned years ago about low cost classes like the "Cheetah motor, nee Falcon now that WE started years ago).... BLAH BLAH BLAH....
    I still want to know.... who is WE????? Who the heck ARE you, what is your raceway name and address???

And as far as who raced Cheetah and then Falcon classes first... it is possible that other raceways were doing it, since Cheetah motors were available through the major distributors to all tracks... but I know that WE, and by WE I mean the PNW AMCA club, run by Lee Gilbert and racing then (I believe) at South Hill Slots in Puyallup, WA, started racing the Flexi/Cheetah/LMP/GT1 class back in around 2000 or before... I can't remember for sure, but I could look in my race reports if I needed proof (or wanted to waste the time to prove it). It might have even been before that at Lee's Scale Motor Speedway in Maple Valley. (Edit - I just found Plafit LMP results from the 2000 Slugfest... so it was active before then... but I think my results from before 2000 are back in my storage in Tacoma).

Lee, and many of us PNW AMCA racers posted about how much fun the class was here on OWH, and how we thought it produced closer racing at lower costs then 16D motor classes. At around the 2000 Slugfest, later change to the Flats, many traveling racers loved the class, and started it up in their raceways (ANE AMCA, NorCal, SoCal, etc...). I'm not saying WE should get all the credit or not... (I think Plafit gets at least SOME of the credit... LOL) but I know darn well we didn't get the idea from YOU or any "WE" at your secret raceway in AZ. I can find proof when WE started racing the class. Can YOU???

Why do you keep repeating the same stuff over and over and over... yet anything anyone else says, you put down or say you already said it???

I guess because you're the only person you even hear talking.

I really should give up. I keep trying to keep this thread on topic. You'd think that by starting a list and even adding several items to start it off, it would get the ball rolling... but you just ignore it and keep preaching... but I suppose I'm doing the same thing right now!

"A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds." - Mark Twain

"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." - Mark Twain

"What a good thing Adam had. When he said a good thing he knew nobody had said it before." - Mark Twain

(I wish I could make a thread like the POLL feature, but where it only allows you to add 1 item per post to a list...)

Anyone else??? Any POSITIVE suggestions for FREE or CHEAP advertising to help in KEEPING TRACKS OPEN????

Next idea:
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-15-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

WAA, ONCE AGAIN, WHO ARE YOU AND WHERE IS THIS PERFECT OPERATION OF YOURS?

What are your credentials?

What do you have to hide?

Put up or shut up please.

Otherwise you are just another nut less wonder behind a keyboard!

3 legitimate questions and 2 "smart a$$ed" comments just for you!

Next idea............Free popcorn!
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

Paul,

When I started racing at WSSH in Nov 98 we were running Plafits with LMP bodies. A few weeks later Justin and I started racing at SHS. I only know the time frame as it was right after we moved into the house in Fall City
    Gary Johnson

I really think that Team Waa should track down John Cauthen, so the two of them can get together and open up a raceway.

Then they could both sit on the computers all day, posting all their theories about what's wrong with the hobby, while sitting in their empty raceway in their secret location. They could put all their ideas together in their own minds... while scaring off anyone who accidentally stumbles in the door with their bizarre ideas.

I've raced at a bazillion raceways, and I've worked at, managed, or helped out at more then I remember. Yet I am also well aware that in spite of (and hopefully not because of) all of my efforts, many of them are now gone. I have a lot of experiences to share what did work and didn't work, and in many cases what works in one, may not work somewhere else... but I never claim to have all the answers.

Here's one of my favorite pieces of wisdom... and as far as I know, it's my own:

"If it's true that you learn from your mistakes... I should be a damned genious by now." - me (Paul Kassens)

Preach until your fingers bleed, Mr Waa... but unless you back it up with some credentials or examples, it's just words on a post.

Big John - I LOVE popcorn - I nearly LIVED off of the antique 10 cent popcorn machine at West Seattle Speedway & Hobby... for about 35 years!!!

but unless you plan to advertise "Free Popcorn" on the sign, fliers, and other ads... that will only feed the owner/ manager, and/or the regulars already hanging around the otherwise empty raceway.

If used to get NEW butts in the door... then you might only get mall rats who come in just for the free popcorn!

It might indeed entice racers to come BACK, however! (hey, it worked for me )

PK
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Edit: Free popcorn with all payed track time!

I was thinking more towards that wonderful aroma wafting out the door....................
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

That would be sweet I love when i go to the Hardware store and they give out free popcorn.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Paul,

When I started racing at WSSH in Nov 98 we were running Plafits with LMP bodies. A few weeks later Justin and I started racing at SHS. I only know the time frame as it was right after we moved into the house in Fall City
    I searched my hard drive, and it only goes back to 2000 race results... then I remembered why. I was using Macs until my Mac died in 1999 and I had to use my son's PC at the 99 Boise Nats. I have boxes of race results & photos & Mac floppies going way back in my storage locker in Tacoma, but I'm glad your memory is much better then mine!

I think "we" might have started racing Plafit/Flexi cars at Lee's shop in Maple Valley on Saturdays, and then used them for Friday nights at WSSH. That was when my son Kris was racing with me, and we'd race Fri at WSSH & Sat at SMS. I think Lee either "pioneered" or at least adopted the Plafit Cheetah's, because they were low cost, sealed, and he loved that they were lower and handled better then 16D's, which Lee hated (still does). I know that many of us PNW racers loved the new class, and pushed for it to be used for entry level beginner as well as an expert class in the PNW AMCA series races.

If Team Waa thinks he invented the class... then he sure didn't tell anybody about it (at least not until much later).

But then... he won't even say where that was.

"Remember--Hindsight is 20/20--that's why they don't make glasses to fit your butt!" - Craig Landry
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-15-2010 at 01:55 PM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

That was my point Paul, it was before Justin and I started racing again in Nov 98. Remember, I started racing that Fri at WSSH and after talking with you and Craig, the next weekend we started racing at Kirk's as well.

It still amazes me that we recognized each other that night after not seeing each other for nearly 20 years. Even if it were at WSSH where we had last talked.
    Gary Johnson