Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Tracks are Left In The Chicagoland area

How many Tracks are Left In The Chicagoland area

some one please let me know where and who are all the tracks up home gona come for visit soon Talk later
    Go Fast and Have Fun
    Thanx Rick

Just check the OWH Raceway Directory!

http://www.oldweirdherald.com/raceways/

Type "Chicago, IL" in the search box, and select the range of miles, and there you go!

I'm showing 5 raceways within 50 miles of Chicago, and 10 within 100 miles.

As always, be sure to call ahead. Hours & days open can vary, and although I do depend on racers helping keep the listings up to date, unfortunately raceways do tend to come and go from time to time without my knowledge.

Here's the closest 5:

World Raceway
    5209 W Lake Street
    Melrose Park, IL 60601
    Directions
    Home of the 1989 Worlds MTT track and American Racing Royal 95. Need more info!
    Phone: 708-344-7110

Mid-America Raceway & Hobbies
    2035 63rd Street
    Downers Grove, IL 60516
    Directions | Website

Gerding "Midwest Monster" flat road course, 155' Gerding King Track, 8 lane "Lazy 8", & Drag Strip. Roger & Laura Schmitt - owners
    Phone: 630-484-8574

Chicagoland Raceway
    2255 Maple Ave
    Downers Grove, IL 60515
    Directions | Website

155' King Track "One", & Flat road track "Two" - both built by owner Mike Swiss
    Hours: sales@chicagolandraceway.us
    Phone: 708-203-8003

K&K Speedway
    931 Plainfield Road
    Joliet, IL 60436
    Directions | Website
    1/24th Scale 8 lane 70 foot TriOval. Located inside Kalbo's Performance Cycle.
    Hours: Monday & Saturday 10 am. - 4.00 pm., Tuesday thru Friday 10 am. - 7.00 pm., Sunday - Closed
    Phone: 815-727-2511

Lake Barrington Speedway
    28156 Northpointe Pkwy
    Lake Barrington, IL 60010
    Directions | Website
    115' 8 lane Ogilvie Grandstand, 4 lane 65 foot "Lazy 8" with magnetech braid. Flush steel braid on the "Lazy 8". Great for Scale plastic magnet cars!
    Hours: m-f 4p.m.-9p.m. Saturday,sunday 12-6p.m., Additional times by appointment
    Phone: 847-382-3433

updated above info 12/11/2010 - PK
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-11-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: updated info
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Downers Grove Il Slot car Capitol of the World

Wink Chicago!

If your planing a visit to Chicago, I recomend a short trip west of Chicago to beautiful Downers Grove IL.
    (My Home town) There you will find 2 world Class facilities, Mid Ameraca & Chicagoland Raceway Both tracks are within walking distance of one another! Frendly owners,exelent tracks, lots of slot car goodies to choose from!

I am lucky to live in the "Slot car capitol of the world"

Steve M

Paul:

I hate to reply here but please amend the listing for Mid-America Raceway to eliminate the HO track reference.

Mid-America has 3 8-Lane 1/24th slot car tracks and a scale 1/4 mile drag strip presently in operation.

Thanks!
    ‎‎"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Oops!

It does need some updating!

I'd like to include better descriptions of all the tracks as well. If you or Roger could post or PM, or fill in the form on the raceway directory, with track names & length descriptions, etc... then I can update it even better.

I updated it from what info I have... but would like to add better descriptions of tracks.

I depend on track owners and racers like you to help me keep these listings up to date!

Thanks!

PK
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-09-2010 at 07:56 AM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Thanks sir. I will talk to Roger about supplying you with the needed information this weekend.
    ‎‎"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Rick:

Larry is affiliated with World Raceway in some capacity?

Not sure when your coming to town, but if your in town this weekend than there is Raffle being held at Chicagoland Raceway this Saturday to help Dave Fiedler who has had some health issues recently. Lot's of nice prizes have been donated.

I'm not sure if this is a help to you but I was told there is a slot track in Matoon right across the street from NAPA on 19th and prarie,south west side. I haven't been there to verify or even know it's name. Sure would be a closer drive then up to Chicago to get a slot car fix?

Rob
    Last edited by Scale Series; 12-09-2010 at 12:52 PM.
    NONE

Do not forget "Dads Raceway' in Des Plaines with the Chriss Dadd built backwards oval, dragstrip, and modern built to original dimensions Orange with the dip.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Paul, Lake Barrington Speedway now has a 115 foot ogilvie grandstand to go along with the 4 lane 65 foot lazy 8 with magnetec braid.thanks, John
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!

John,

I'll update the Lake Barrington Speedway info. I'm assuming the 115' Ogilvie Grandstand is there IN PLACE of the tri-oval now? I deleted the info about the tri-oval... let me know if I got that right or not.

So I updated to this:
    115' 8 lane Ogilvie Grandstand, 4 lane 65 foot "Lazy 8" with magnetech braid. Flush steel braid on the "Lazy 8". Great for Scale plastic magnet cars!

How come they don't have anything about the slot car tracks on their web site???

You should submit info on your Wanker Valley Raceway also. If it is in your home, as a "club" track, you can simply note that in the description and leave off the street address. Include a phone number and email so people can contact you for race or practice schedule times.

Larry,

I never heard of "Dad's Raceway" before. can you get more info, or get them to submit info so I can include them in the Raceway Directory?

I also need more info for World Raceway, to update your listing.

Rob,

Any more info on the track in Matoon also appreciated!

It's strange how these slot car tracks can get set up and running... and yet nobody knows about them! ????

OWH Raceway Directory
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-11-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Larry and Paul, Dad's is in the downtown area of Des Plaines, however, the last time I drove by, (3-4 months ago) there was only one oval track. They do not hold any races, just rent track time. When they first opened, (maybe about 8-10 years ago) they held some races, the racers started to argue during the races, so they decided to not have any racing. I believe they also have an ice cream shop inside. They are about a block away from the famous "Checkered Flag Raceway" in the 60's.
    Racing for the Racers, by the Racers!!!
    USRA Member #806

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    John,

Rob,

Any more info on the track in Matoon also appreciated!

It's strange how these slot car tracks can get set up and running... and yet nobody knows about them! ????

OWH Raceway Directory

That's all I know. On a different blog this guy made a statement about his local track in central Illinois. I PM'd him asking about it since I wasn't aware of any. What I posted is what he sent me. When I PM'd him about aditional info he never responded.

Maybe they don't want any Chicago racers comming down? LOL
    NONE

Quote Originally Posted by sirslotalot1 View Post
    When they first opened, (maybe about 8-10 years ago) they held some races, the racers started to argue during the races, so they decided to not have any racing. I believe they also have an ice cream shop inside. .
    More like 16 years, and I don't ever remember them running any races.
    NONE

Quote Originally Posted by Scale Series View Post
    Maybe they don't want any Chicago racers comming down? LOL
    Hmmm... or even USRA racers... could you blame him???? I think any "racers" was bad enough... LOL
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

I stand corrected. 16 years it is. I stopped in there many years ago and spoke with the lady running the place at the time and she told me the story why they don't run races any more.
    Racing for the Racers, by the Racers!!!
    USRA Member #806

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast