Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Keeping tracks open

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    One of my pet peeves about MOST tracks I have ever been at is that they put ill handling cars in customers hands for rentals! I mean, how do you expect people to enjoy renting cars that handle so bad you don't want to drive them?
    Amen, Gary.

That's a sermon the Rev. Jay Guard has been preaching for years! Heck, if I'd been introduced to the hobby via a battered old WhisperJet fitted with an .040" body, rock hard tires, and recycled braid, I would have never come back.

Economics 101.... Economics Basics: Demand and Supply and hard times.

I think we need to hear more from track owners and a little less from customers and customers that no longer race due to this obamanation of an economy that is on its hands and knees as our wealth and savings head east to china! Did I spell that right?
    All customers would enjoy paying less than MSRP, and some do get that option but how often?

With R/C you can always play in your yard or parking lot, but slotcars you still need a track!
    Which last time I looked requires a storefront which requires income to stay open?
    A vicious cycle, not really the cycle is when you come and go and expect the storefront to remain open for you and you feel you don’t have to purchase anything there because you can buy whatever it is you feel you need online for that 8% less than the storefront and track operator has invested his own savings and credit into said storefront in advance and in anticipation of you, the said loyal and faithful customer, and as said customer has asked for and ordered or given the operator the opportunity to provide to you the latest and trickiest part or tool or gizmo that floats your boat and gives you that intangible and secret or advantage over your friend, competitor or what have you decided they are.

It’s a hobby. Still is and for me always will be, I go to have fun and waste my time with people like me. I could do other things with my time but I’d rather slotrace. It’s frustrating sometimes and sometimes it’s hard on the wallet. Most of the time it’s a blast and the people are always fun and helpful and let’s face it nothing is perfect.

If you want to have a track you got to pay your dues….THERE’S NO FREE LUNCH!

If you want to save online than race online, if you want something the storefront doesn’t have in stock ask for it! If you see something online and want it fast faster fastest order it and see if it works and then if you want it again ask for it at the shop since you do want to race there. I cannot recall not being able to order any part or item from my shop for essential the same price I would have paid online for it.

Quote Originally Posted by balln68 View Post
    I don't feel the same as you, fastvince. The hardcore guys are the ones that want the newest parts so they can be ahead of the rest of the racer's thus having other go fast parts for the regular hobby racer...
    The basic problem is that there are (relatively) so few hardcore racers in each raceway and the commercial hobby's focus is almost completely centered on their desires and preferences. And the evidence over many decades indicates that there aren't enough hardcore racers to support the raceways.

That's not to say that the hardcore should be ignored or driven away, but that the non-hardcore "players" need to be encouraged and marketed to at a much higher level than has been the case in the past. I do think the two groups can co-exist but so far most raceways have not been able to accomplish that goal.

Anyone else with positive ideas to add to the list I started?

Funny how forums work... you ask for positive input, and you can hear the crickets chirping...

But when people start pointing out all the things that are wrong... then the posts come quickly.

It's always easier to find fault then to come up with solutions.

added to the list:

- clinics (love that idea)

- decent rental cars ( I am in total agreement there)

- coaching new rental customers (more good input Gary)

- membership (been there done that... it is possible to work in some cases I suppose...)

I'm drawing a blank now... anyone else got some POSITIVE ideas for keeping tracks open???

(wondering what ever happened to John Cauthen???)

( I found out... http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=184659 ) LOL
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-09-2010 at 09:09 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Keep it simple s..... That’s an old rule, adage or self advice...and it's really a good one.
    In other words don’t over complicate it, be it rules or even when it comes to buying from the shop.
    When racing keep the rules simple and the cars simple which to me means not expensive!
    What else…

I like the sound of the membership idea, how did it work where u raced Paul? would it be to much to have a monthly membership for 50 dollars a month for just track time, no discounts on parts its unlimited track time, you still have to pay to race, would that be to much money? I think it would be a pretty good deal, pending on how much u wanna practice, and. The shop would have a 50 dollar ring, and you would have people driving the crap out of there cars using up parts. Figure if you got 10 guys to do it monthly that's 500 dollars I big part of the rent, then if you had a decent weekly race that would generate another large portion of the rent. Is this a good idea guys, do your regular guys buy 50 dollars worth of track time monthly? I only go to my raceway 3 times a month because of my work schedule and its an hour away from where I live and its Been 15 years since there was a track in my town, I know I use to have my parents drop me off at the track couple days a week during the summer so I could drive my cars, and that was kinda expensive because of the track time daily, I think u could possible get quite a bit of people to buy a monthly card. What do u other track owners think

Quote Originally Posted by fester View Post
    i would rather go to a real raceway instead of a cheesy plastic home track,and thats another thing that has turned people away is they buy there kid a little home track they saw at k-mart not knowing that big ones exist. dad tries it for a little while and gets bored with it and so does junior.dad goes to a big track that he saw through advertisement or a drive-by and tries it out .junior gets bored .dad thows junior in the car with some candy and dad starts buyin stuff hiding his spending from his old lady ,soon dad is not home on saturday nites dad is hooked on slotcars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yeah baby!!!! wifey gets mad,so dad stays home on saturday nites but works on his cars on the kitchen table,tiny balls of solder,burn marks,soon momma says get the hell out of the house!!!!slot-cars??
    Do you know my wife! In trouble for taking my son every Saturday to the local slot car track, then mad when I take over the kitchen to work on the cars.

Glad I'm not the only one .....

One Idea I had would be to have a weekly or monthly give away for best attendance . It doesn't have to be high dollar, but just a little something. Track bucks to use towards parts or track time.
    I know some tracks still use track bucks, but what I'm talking about is not just for winning a race, but for being a valued customer. People love free stuff, and It doesn't really cost the track owner all that much to promote something like this.

Remember, word of mouth gets around real fast.
    Keep your finger on the trigger ,and your eye on the slot

I have seen club setups that have worked reasonably well... at least for a while... but it always boils down to a few committed people winding up carrying the load (and expense) to keep it going. Most others jump on board, then either bail out or are never around to support it.

For any successful club to survive, just as for any successful commercial business, requires enough committed participants in order to cover the overhead. It's not much different, other then the goal of trying to make a profit in the commercial business.

A good scenario might be if the building is already owned, or available very cheap.

Any more positive ideas???
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Quote Originally Posted by balln68 View Post
    I like the sound of the membership idea, how did it work where u raced Paul? would it be to much to have a monthly membership for 50 dollars a month for just track time, no discounts on parts its unlimited track time, you still have to pay to race, would that be to much money? I think it would be a pretty good deal, pending on how much u wanna practice, and. The shop would have a 50 dollar ring, and you would have people driving the crap out of there cars using up parts. Figure if you got 10 guys to do it monthly that's 500 dollars I big part of the rent, then if you had a decent weekly race that would generate another large portion of the rent. Is this a good idea guys, do your regular guys buy 50 dollars worth of track time monthly? I only go to my raceway 3 times a month because of my work schedule and its an hour away from where I live and its Been 15 years since there was a track in my town, I know I use to have my parents drop me off at the track couple days a week during the summer so I could drive my cars, and that was kinda expensive because of the track time daily, I think u could possible get quite a bit of people to buy a monthly card. What do u other track owners think
    The only prob you may have with that is, the guys may not be to keen on paying a monthly membership and then paying every time they race on top of that.

Here at S.C.R.A.M. were goin on our forth year as a club. The only reason we can do what we do is we're in a warehouse and the rent is 20 cents a sq. foot. ( we have 3200 sq feet rented) Its not perfect but it works. The club dues still dont cover overhead but its getting close. Ther are several of us that are willing to subsidize what ever is shy every month to keep it going. Our goal is to grow the club to substain itself. Our club dues is cheap. $35 a month for unlimited track time and that includes any club races you want to enter.$10 a night for those that want to race a couple times a month.When we have bigger races with prizes and awards ther will be a entrance fee to cover the cost. We have weekly races that do a club points series. No awards other than bragging rights. All our classes run a sealed motor ranging from a stock nascar with spec gearing(out of box) to our fastest which is also our most exspensive F-Wing. Still under a Hundred bucks. One of my selling points to newbies is its cheap for hobby grade racin. When we get the club base large enough to open up to faster classes to support we will do that but we try to ,keep a cap on the cost. .................As far as parts sales, its seperate from the club and is a legit business............................Bottom line is it cost us all,some more than others,No one is making money and we do it for the enjoyment of being able to play with friends and toy cars............As far as a Slot Car Business, I feel its a very hard road to be able to pull a legit living out of it. Ther are the ones that doit but they are few............Trust me. Im a owner of two tracks and a rental aggreement and ther is nothing Id rather do than make a living with slot cars but I hav yet figuared the angle to feel comfortable enough to make that pludge. Hav to have some other type of income. Untill I figuare it out, I keep welding "Junk Yart" and pedaling it to pay the bills and Playin with slot cars for my giggles!!!!!! As far as the club, its growing with the addition of the "Green Hornet" last night we had 16 racers on a weds night. All with smiles!!!! Hillbilly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slot 028.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	7700  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slot car track 055.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	7701  

Name:	greenhornet11..jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	7702  

Name:	004..JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	7703  

Name:	greenhornet7..jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	7704  

Hey Billy,
    The place is looking real nice and it gets better every time I see it. Glad to hear things are going good for you guys.

Vic

Awesome ideas folks Im taking them all to the track to let the management look them over,Untill we get a good base I will continue to fix.build,teach and help the track anyway I can and I believe thats the best any of us can do. Fatboy
    TEAM B.O.W
    In memory of Gordy Root a great mentor and friend
    One time at Slotnerds camp

i like and am getting alot of ideas hillbilly.the membership gig seems like the ticket for longevity it can work!have the guys pay for parts,if they buy on-line oust em,a legal binding contract like a gym. im glad i started this thread lots of good input. im tired of 30 years plus in the hobby and seeing my local tracks close down, put my stuff in mothballs and wait for the next one to open up,it cost more to restart than it does to stay in it,tires for 6+cars,latest technology,the list goes on and i will never quit!but its not feasable to drive long distances to do so!takes the fun out of it.herald or whoever set up this website,kudos,and i mean that!let the old dogs play,beats sittin in a friggin bar!

I race rc cars as well as slot cars, there's two rc tracks that have survived longer than I've been doing the rc racing thing, four seasons and tacoma rc racway, I started in 1998 and have seen at least a half dozen rc tracks come and go, but 4 seasons and trcr continue to go on, since the internet has become so much of our lives the one thing both those tracks do is post race results, EVERY RACE, not a couple of days or weeks later, but as soon as the race is over,EVERY RACE, trcr races three times a week Tuesday Friday and Sunday, If they forget everyone ask's what happened who dropped the ball, I really think it makes a diffrence for the regulars as they can see who's doing what if they can't make it, plus it keeps interest up, and best of all it dosen't cost a thing, they have a web site just like this one, I live on it, it's called rctech.net, I try to keep up with the race's here but it's very speratic at best, I guess I'm just saying it's free advertising and if you run a track you should be using it, like I said since 1998 I've been running rc, since 1965 I've been playing with slot cars and I'd like to keep doing it, were very lucky to have such a nice place to race here in the northwest at Pacific Slot Car Raceway, just my two cents.