Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Keeping tracks open

Team Waa may be a little rough around the edges, I believe his point about the manufacturers and distributors financially helping to promote the slot business is valid. On a much larger scale, GM, Ford and Chrysler don't own the car dealerships (for the most part) but they advertise to drive the custmers to their franchise doors. No way can the solt car industry afford that kind of budget. BUT, there shoud be carved out in there accounting a budget they can afford, no matter how small it is, to participate in the cost of advertsing for their customers.

Oh, just so everyone knows, I have never owned a slot car track before, never worked at one. I am drawing on many years of experience in the business world, the way it's done in the United States.

Sorry I don't have any new idea's for this post.
    Racing for the Racers, by the Racers!!!
    USRA Member #806

how bout them raiders?lets talk football this is a nerdfest!pages1-4 summed it up for me.raiders not bad this year?the saints are kinda dissapointing but doing well.and those damn chargers are choking snot.excuse me where were WE?i,ll figure it out just looking for cheap space .the king is 55'feet long,ovals bore me to death perhaps i would add a small road course something that takes skill.

If your thinking about opening a raceway, you may also want to consider taking in a partner or two. Someone who loves slots as much as you. This way you also have the added help without having to hire outside help. Also, it would help with funding stock and other expenses needed to start up.

Just some food for thought.
    Keep your finger on the trigger ,and your eye on the slot

Quote Originally Posted by sirslotalot1 View Post
    On a much larger scale, GM, Ford and Chrysler don't own the car dealerships (for the most part) but they advertise to drive the custmers to their franchise doors. .

It's been years since I worked in a dealership, but believe the dealers have to contribute to the advertising? Contact Gene D, he worked for Ford for years before he retired and went to work part time for a dealer. He would know best.

Nevermind, most tracks in the same region can never agree to classes let alone on how to advertise LOL
    NONE

Quote Originally Posted by backintheslot View Post
    Edit: Free popcorn with all payed track time!

I was thinking more towards that wonderful aroma wafting out the door....................
    Mmmmmmmmmm.... POPCORN....

I'm half expecting to see Team Waa chime in now... I'll beat him to it....

Orville Redenbacher should pony up and pay for some advertising for the raceway... if they serve his popcorn! He makes tons of money! He can afford it! (OK... I know he died, but he died rich... so his company can afford it!)

In fact, why not serve free pop, and get Coke to shell out for some ads, free burgers and hit up McDonalds, and how about free beer? Budweiser spends GOBS of money sponsoring racing - why not slot cars???

And raceways have been providing toilet paper for free for years! Where the heck are those darned toilet paper companies??? Charmin should be "giving back" to the raceways & racers that use their product! Here's a possible TV ad spot: "Race at Joe's Raceway & Ribs in McCalla Alabama! We're proud to provide Charmin toilet tissue for all racers! When you wipe out - you'll be glad you use Charmin!"

And what about that darned eBay??? If racers are just going to be racing those restored obsolete wire Int 15 cars they bought for way too much hard earned cash on eBay... then eBay ought to start sending bags of money! Maybe put PC's in the raceway, so racers can shop online and order direct from eBay or their favorite online dealer when resting up from all that free track time! Just pull up a chair, grab some free popcorn & a free pop or beer, and check out all that old crap on eBay... better get that free toilet paper handy... ppppppptttttttttttttt! Ahhhh.... pass me another Bud... I'm gonna snipe this guy on a Champion Group 20 RTR... It sez it's hand built by some dude in Arizona! Buuuuurrrrrp!

When they get done spending all their PayPal money on eBay & direct ordering from the manufacturers, they can logon to OWH and argue about rules, gripe about product quality, and complain about their raceway!

Just be sure that on all that advertising you got with all those sponsors money - that you never bother to include the raceway name or address! They'll be dieing to come flocking to your raceway - if they could ever find it!

OK... I've lost my marbles now... but at least I beat Waa to the punch this time.

It doesn't matter though... he'll just ignore me and go on babbling away anyway...

Question: How do you make a small fortune by owning a slot car raceway?
    Answer: Simple! Start with a very LARGE fortune!

Gotta go... I'm gonna call up Bill Gates & Paul Allen... those guys oughta be sponsoring a slot car raceway! They're into philanthropy!
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-16-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: more overkill
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Paul, you are too much. You want to discuss a topic and all some of you do is personal attacks cause you don't like the message, comments or responses.

Some of you this "Game" of slot cars is not a game Gentlemen. It is a BUSINESS or hadn't you heard?

Sir Paul of The Philippines writes:

Question: How do you make a small fortune by owning a slot car raceway?
    Answer: Simple! Start with a very LARGE fortune!

So if this is your true position as stated by this old worn out pun, then why do you even bother with slot cars?

The idea was to get the ball rolling maybe by discussing the issues. Mr Paul of the Philippines you have a good forum o discuss things that we all can agree on. And sometimes disagree with at times Sir Paul. Sometimes in discussing things a few eggs have to be broken to wake people up in this industry.

To state the obvious like what can be done to keep the tracks open is fine. To rehash the same ideas is fine also. But NOTHING has changed because YOU and others have not changed, acknowledged or want to accept the obvious need for change in this industry. NOTHING will change unless the people involved in this industry change and include advertising in their plans. And that includes the manufacturers in advertising plans in mediums OUTSIDE the FREE ones or the internet. ALL who have a vested interest in this BUSINESS need to help out. Not just rely on the track owners to pull all the weight like many of you feel is the case.

ALL advertising works to a certain degree. To constantly harp and state that advertising is too expensive or does not work like some state on this and other blogs is sort of funny. And then Sir Paul of the Philippines you ask for advertisements that are paid from by and large by tracks and manufacturers?

So what is it Sir Paul? Advertising DOES NOT work? Or does it? Or is it ONLY your blogs advertising that works?

You might get more advertisers is you and others would stop harping that advertising does not work. That slot cars are a bad business to start or be in at any cost. That you can lose a large fortune in the slot car business and so forth and so on.

So when potential "investors" look to blogs like this and see the comments running down the business of Slot cars, why would they want to invest their money?

Maybe time for your nap Sir Paul?
    Last edited by Team Waa; 12-16-2010 at 03:01 AM. Reason: spellcheck on sire does not work

My, you're up late... (just get up from YOUR nap???)

1 - Where did I say advertising doesn't work?
    (it was the one point you made ad nauseam, that I did agree with)

2 - My post above was called "sarcasm".
    (If you bothered to read it, you might have noticed I was making fun of YOU.)

3 - What did you say your name is?
    ( I think we all already know... just wondering why you hide it)

4 - What is the name of YOUR raceway, where you employ all your genius?
    (we all know you don't own a raceway, the one you bragged about last year is closed, and the one you're working at now hopefully takes your rambling with a grain of salt)

5 - Why do you sell outdated overpriced junk on eBay, then come on here and preach against such a thing?
    (do you race YOUR cars on eBay?, or are you simply a hypocrite?)

6 - Actions speak louder then words, and real examples of your theories add credibility.
    (YOU, SIR KENNEDY, have none)'

Game, set, match. Anyone else tired of this guy?

I know I broke my own rules... but I'm cranky... Time for my nap!

Next suggestion...

not Sir, just Paul Kassens
    not OF the Philippines... just IN the Philippines
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 12-16-2010 at 04:46 AM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Downers Grove Il Slot car Capitol of the World

Smile Queen WAA

Now that Queen WAA has Knighted you Sir Paul, Do we all have to use your proper Title?

WHY WONT YOU LISTEN I AM GIVING YOU ALL THE ANSWERS,WHY CANT YOU UNDERSTAND! I"M TYPING AS LOUD AS I CAN!!
    Cheeto Racing

Oh, advertising works alright. Place an ad for a slot car, a chassis, a motor, or a piece of slot racing equipment, and buyers are generally easy to find.

But if the goal is to sell "organized slot car racing" as a viable leisure time activity, there has to be a "product" to offer. And that product needs to be easily accessible to new participants, well managed and organized, and widely-supported.

Advertising doesn't work very well when there's no real product to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by mccr3328 View Post
    Now that Queen WAA.......
    Too funny.....
    Had a feeling it was Mr. Kennedy....all that wind and no substance....

Hey, I went to your damn raceway with the free toilet paper and came up a few squares short! What now?
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

I'm hungry !!!

Quote Originally Posted by backintheslot View Post
    Hey, I went to your damn raceway with the free toilet paper and came up a few squares short! What now?
    Perhaps you could use the rapper that came with your free hamburger ??

Great point about track employees. I think the problem maybe management. Most don't have the knowledge or skills to impart or train their employees to do anything outside of running the register. It's sad as these newbie employees are on the front line and could make a difference in converting the lead (from your advertising) into a sale. I have seen new visitors (walk-ups) ignored, told to come back when we're not racing, or given incorrect info over the phone about what the raceway offers. Allowing your least experienced or untrained employee to answer the phone is a great way to lose new business.

Although this thread is about advertising, I submit that after advertising comes conversion. Employees have to be taught how to do it. I would suggest the owner/manager sit down and create (write it out) what's called a value proposition. It explains what or why someone would get from doing business at your raceway. It's key to come at this from the prospective of the customer not the raceway. A good way to think about it is asking "What problem do I solve for this customer." Once done you can communicate this value statement to your employees. If you don't they will make it up as they go. Not a good way to run a business. Here are 3 simple steps that could help.

1 Greeting- You don't get a second chance to make a good first impression. On the phone or in person a good scripted opening like "Hi I'm Joe, how can I help you" goes a long way. If you can't be up-beat & friendly then you don't belong in front of a customer. Positive attitude and enthusiasm should be considered when hiring instead of they live close & fit into our schedule.

2 Qualify -This is where you have only a few seconds to figure out what problem can you solve for the customer. For new walk ups you have to ask some probing questions to find out where the customer is coming from. Mgt. should script the questions for new employees. You'd be surprised how well "I'm Joe the manager, how can I help you" works as opposed to "Do you need help with anything" or the shorter "Can I help you." the latter are closed end questions (Yes/No) where the former is open-ended and promotes conversation. The customer is more apt to tell you who they are, why they came in, and what their problem is. For existing customers you should rank them, beginner, novice, advanced racer, pro so you know what might interest them and begin the conversation at the right spot. Mgt. will have to ID who's who for new employees.

3 Convert - This is where you solve the customers problem. You are either making a sale or providing info that may lead to a future sale. For walk-ups you need to capture who they are and why they came in. Before they walk out offer to add them on your "Newsletter" to get updates about the raceway. Caution, don't ask for their email address as it feels pushy. It's all about that value statement you created. The customer has to perceive that there is value in giving you personal info. Again it's about solving their problem not yours. I can't stress this enough.
    Offer them handouts about hours, racing schedules or parties, whatever fits their interest for coming in. Every one should at least be offered your business card so they can call you. Think about re-designing your business card if it doesn't provide basic details about your business. Pretty graphics don't tell the customer anything.

Role playing these 3 steps with new employees can help. Practice makes you better, start with yourself and then teach your employees. If you can't or won't do it then hire someone who will.
    Love to hear your thoughts on these basic steps.

If you see new people in your store and they walk out without someone other than the racers interacting with them then you just missed an opportunity to add a new customer.
    Can your business stand to ignore possible new customers?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My other car is a Manta Ray

Wow - great post. Obviously you've had some retail sales management experience!

Yes - unfortunately most raceway owners are basically addicted slot car racers who wound up with a track, and are struggling to ressurect it and keep it alive, mostly out of love for the hobby. Many raceway owners have little or no retail management experience.

Worse yet... the help at most raceways is most likely voluntary. Usually regular racers or even young new kids help out at the counter. They are either unpaid or given free track time or parts, in trade for their help.

Previous retail training probably consisted of being taught to say: "Do you want fries with that?"

Again - great post, and good info on how to help raceways convert NEW customers into RETURNING customers.

This is the kind of POSITIVE information that makes reading this forum and this thread worthwhile! Thanks!
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald