Thread: Kids and interest in slots

Kids and interest in slots

With all this talk lately about keeping our hobby alive, it's had me doing a lot of thinking about what we could do besides what we're already doing. Things have changed and not for the better.

To me it seems like the younger kids today have little interest in cars period, let alone slot cars. I have a 17yr old grandson who couldn't tell you where the dip stick is in a car. I'm not very proud of this, being that both me and my son are major motor heads. None of this rubbed off on him or any of the kids he hangs out with.

The number of kids interested in slots today are far less than when we were kids, that's a proven fact.
    One thing that has changed is that many of today's slot cars don't resemble real cars. Do you think that may play a roll?
    I, cant help but wonder if that's one reason 1/32nd scale racing has picked up. SCX style racing seems pretty popular and the selection of cars are great. Also their cars look like real cars.

What are you guys thoughts on this?
    Keep your finger on the trigger ,and your eye on the slot

I don't think it has anything to do with the way they look. Its the physical part of standing up and walking to put your car back on the track. People want to say video games take over. But in reality it just means they can sit on their butt for hours on end and get just as much thrill.

Quote Originally Posted by b.rad View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with the way they look. Its the physical part of standing up and walking to put your car back on the track. People want to say video games take over. But in reality it just means they can sit on their butt for hours on end and get just as much thrill.
    Oh for sure, we've talked about this many times over on here. I think we all agree that video gaming plays a major roll in this. Also this generation of kids are lazy and just don't give a damn about much of anything except where the next party is, or who will smoke the next joint with them. My how things have changed!! I'm not saying all kids , but alot of them.

My son is a big gamer still races slots I don't think its kids at all its the time needed by a parent to devote to slots its easier to toss your kid in a room with a video game and then sit on your duff

Ody,
    I agree to a point, but I;m not sure its all the parents fault either. Your right though, alot of kids today are what we call latch key kids, and yes, I blame the parents for that.
    When I was a teenager my mom would give me $5.00 and drop me off at the raceway for the entire day on a Sat. Now granted, 5 bucks then was prob equal to 20-30 bucks today, but the average paycheck back then was much less than today. My point is, I didn't need my parents involved other than to drop me off and pick me up that night.

Today we have to worry about the safety of our children. This was never given a second thought when I was a kid.
    As I said, not all kids dislike cars or anything to do with cars, but it seems the interest level of many of today's youth just isn't there.

Ody, I know your son and you race together, and this is what we need to see more of, but sadly we're seeing much less father son racing.

My son Joe and I raced together when he was 7ys old, and are still doing it today. BTW- Joe's now 38ys old and a total quad.
    It's just that were seeing much less of this these days.

Not sure there is a fix.

Vic