Thread: converting a R/C Xmods to a slot car

converting a R/C Xmods to a slot car

Anyone ever done it? I have a couple of the Nissan Skylines and a Acura RSX.. looking to do the conversion with the R/C chassis and running gear (everything but the R/C electronics) I'll shoot some pics in a bit of what I am talking about..

the one I'm doing this on has:
    full ball bearings
    st.2 road racing motor(probably comparable to a old falcon motor w/ 10t pinion says 30k rpm)
    upgraded springs and suspension
    semi locked difs front and rear
    AWD (4 wheel drive)

this is what I came up with so far (I'll be adding a drag motor or falcon 7 and a piece of paper to the guide to keep the braid from touching/arching)

Last edited by Zac Fick; 12-25-2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: added pics

With the right setup these cars FLY.. have yet to try the circle track but 12v@6 amps they are a rocket lol. Still trying to tune it for a decent launch off the line but the near silicone low profile tires are super sticky on a wood track not to mention 4wd there is no wheel spin....

I used Carrera digital long braid and a piece of styrene tubing screwed threw the front of the chassis and shaved down to fit in the groove.. still need to use a label(printer paper with a sticky side) to make a divider for the braid to go around corners- but it's only on the drag strip at the moment so it really don't need it.

the styrene tube length will vary on your track and suspension setup- for the ninco/scalectric track it will have to be shorter and off coarse shaved down til it fits in the groove.

You also might want to consider the Ninco X-slot or a plafit 1/32 chassis. A custom IRRA/ D-3 frame is very doable....
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

I used the R/C chassis lol it works pretty damn good on the strip

The motor in those cars are 130 size, same as a Falcon 7, etc.... They have some cool hop ups for those motors. We use the neo magnets for those motors in drag cars. You could always stuff a pair of those neo magnets in there along with a .480 g27 arm and have a real screamer.....

lol it already scream on 12v I can't wait to see what it does on 16v down at my local track... It will need wheelie bars for sure...

My Falcon 7 (1/24) cars get close to 40 mph on the World Raceway 1000' (1/4 mile in 1/32). Looks like a new class to race up with the Carrera hot rods and muscle cars.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center