Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TNT Raceway in Modesto, CA

TNT Raceway in Modesto, CA

I drove out to TNT Raceway today; nice little place with lots of pit space, carpeted floors & a clean bathroom!

The Hillclimb is about 110 feet & pretty easy to drive, no kinks or weird spots that I can tell.

Next, I tried the famous BOW corkscrew; nice little road course with a good rhythm. You do have to gear it low, otherwise it's easy to drive (IMHO). The people are friendly & Roy Axford makes you feel welcome. I'll have to come back again in the new year, check it out yourself.
    Last edited by team burrito; 12-28-2010 at 10:46 PM.
    Russ Toy
    I am team burrito and I approve this message.

thanks thats about 3 hours from me but a good rain day gig,can you get a telephone # for me?come to our roseville track fast trak hobbies sat nites

Quote Originally Posted by fester View Post
    thanks, that's about 3 hours from me, but a good rain day gig, can you get a telephone # for me? come to our roseville track, fast track hobbies sat nites
    I'm wait for the flat track to get running, but that might be awhile. Meanwhile, the phone number is (209) 544-2550.
    Russ Toy

yeah im sick of the puple angel,he,s got the small black flat track we used to run 20 years ago in yuba city but wants to carpet it for r.c. i like flat tracks

I don't understand that, they're r/c cars. They can run on the ground like the rest of them.
    Russ Toy

Nice tracks! A couple from Foster's are wanting to go to Fresno Hobby City soon. Modesto is just up the street a ways. Are they running NorCal Retro and /or USRA style?

NCSCRA has a race slated for March 5 & we would like to do a retro race in April.
    Stay tuned for a confirmation date.
    Russ Toy

Glad to see someone has TNT up on here I live in manteca which is about 20 minutes from there great place go there 2-4 times a week great times and great people

Hey Guys! I posted in previous thread but didn't proof read before posting. Roy has several race classes going. Tuesday nite is wing-car with box 12's running. Friday nite is rattle chassis Nascar with three classes running, about thirty entries. Saturday morning is Super-Wasp Lmp on the Corkscrew. This class may get moved to Wednesday nite. there were eleven entries last Sat. so far Roy does not have a retro program going. Gus in Sacto

It's hard to believe it's been over 6 years since the Korkscrew was taken down at Kal's.
    I'll always be proud of us building that track.
    I hope to get to run on it again soon.

Greg G.
    How Sweet It Is!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slidergreg View Post
    It's hard to believe it's been over 6 years since the Korkscrew was taken down at Kal's.
    I'll always be proud of us building that track.
    I hope to get to run on it again soon.

Greg G.

Hey Greg!

Does that mean you'll be venturing away from your home area of Alabama back to California for a visit soon?
    Owl Chump

In the Slotcar Racer thread, there was discussion about setting up for the Modesto tracks for a NorCal race coming up this weekend.

In the thread, Monty O mentioned that the Hillclimb track looked like the former Chico Hillclimb. I asked for pictures and was pointed to this thread.

Since IDing the tracks fits better with this thread about Modesto, I thought I's post here instead of the Slotcar Racer thread.

I was still curious if this is the former Chico Hillclimb - as I raced in the 1st two Enduro de Chico 6 hour enduros in 2001 & 2002. I only saw the Foster's Hillclimb once... I think in 2002. I managed to dig up only a couple pics of the Chico Hillclimb - to compare with the Modesto pic posted above:

Chico Hillclimb - @ Enduro de Chico 2002

Modesto Hillclimb (from Team Burrito's post #1 above)

The Chico Hillclimb had no donut - but it had a very short switchback. Two drivers on the right panel, and the other six on the left panel.

That would be the tell-tale sign - if that is different.

Does anyone here know if the Modesto Hillclimb was previously at Chico? or at Fosters? or somewhere else???

Either way - it is GREAT to see these two nice tracks (I LOVE the Corkscrew!) get another life and see them enjoyed by many new (and several old) racers in Modesto!

I'm just curious!

PK

P.S. - I just looked at the pics - and I am now positive it is NOT the Chico Hillclimb! (I'm pleased that my memory did not fail me for once ).

The Chico Hillclimb was a mirror image of the West Seattle Hillclimb (now at FunTime Raceway in Gig Harbor WA) - except for the different "almost but not really donut".

It still had a full bank on the left side. The Modesto track has an Engleman style left side - with underpass.

I rest my case...

I'm still curious as to the track's history, however... or at least it's last location (Fosters?)

PK
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 03-02-2011 at 07:27 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think that someone said that the hillclimb came from Bakersfield?
    that's a wrap!

yes Roy mentioned it when it was been put togheter .

someone chime in ,running my falcon in the amatuer nascar class on the 5th what gearing!were running 9/27 on the angel at fast track.it'll be fast enough just stay on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast