Thread: sodering chassis

sodering chassis

Could you give me some tips on how to soder stainless i am having a terrible time the soder will not bond with it, is there a trick to it or am i doing sumthing wrong. HELP Thank's Andy

Are you using any flux? I use Lucky Bob's (as I think most people do) and have good success with it on both JK and Parma stainless chassis. Sometime you have to grind the edge of the Parma chassis a little to get a "clean" edge and the solder sticks much better.
    Phil Matthews

I use the lucky bobs or sta brite acid flux and never had any problems the other question is what kink of soldering iron are you using some of the cheap irons don't get hot enough or don't have a big enough tip to heat a good amount of the chassis to solder to I use a hakko or ungar 45w iron just a thought
    Give me my glue bottle!!!!!!!!!![B]

yes i am useing flux and i also grind the surface . how much heat, very hot or just hot and would it help to drill hols for the soder to hang onto Thank's Andy

I use a Hakko 45W too and with the heat setting at 700-750 F. Also using the large chisel tip (I think it is 1/4") to keep heat in the tip when applying it.
    Phil Matthews

Soldering chassis like JK's is not problem. When you do anything you need proper tools. There are a lot of slot racers who like to cut corners on their tools and a good soldering iron is one of the tools you can not cut corners. I personally use the old Ungar 50w iron (now called a Weller). A lot of slot racers I have seen do not have irons that produce enough heat to solder correctly. Don't try to buy other irons with a high wattage because most of them will not do the job. With a Ungar (Weller) 50 w iron all you need to solder properly is some Stay Brite acid flux and some 94/6 silver solder also called "bearing solder". Have you local shop order you a Weller 50w iron. They can get them though Eagle Dist.

Weller wes51 0-950 deg. In 40 seconds GOT MINE AT FRYES !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weller 002.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	7841  

Where abouts in mi are you from I usually teach the new guys at my raceway how to solder motors in their cars and I thought that the other raceways did the same if you need help or your local raceway won't get you the right parts feel free to give me a call at 5179368503. My raceway is in michigan center mi. I also have both the hakko and weller(ungar) irons in stock.
    Give me my glue bottle!!!!!!!!!![B]

Hi Mike I live in cadillac and our track just came to town and thay don't have much, and no teck help . how much do the irons cost and can i buy the silver solder and acid flux at a hardware store .