Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

There's gotta be a limit. If you're blind,dyslexic, too big, too little, arms are too short, nervous or otherwise impaired, all you should have to do is get a sub to turn marshal. I have seen some parents doing an excellent job of teaching their kids how to turn marshal correctly.I don't have a problem with anyone who is doing their best and I try to say please and thank you. Occasionally a bit of sarcasm creeps in. Drivers are also human!

I agree, turn marshalls are doing the best that they can, I sometimes think that I take turn marshalling a little more serious than driving, just because I dont want to make a mistake. As far as drivers getting frustrated when a marshall makes a mistake, it doesnt bother me because its just raw emotion during a race. A few thank yous from a racer when you put their car back on the track always goes a long ways. I have to agree with the previous posts and say there are way too many track calls, and people requesting work to be done on their car. 9 races for me this week between me and my daughter, SWEET!!!!!!

yeah but some of them are dip****s out of control lame,wrecks are hard to avoid especially the way the norcal drivers drive on the flatrack.for 3 minutes to focus is not asking too much!

all the racers have to marshall it s not a chore we all have to do it and do it right pay attention for 3 minutes track calls should only be used for ugly wrecks but if a guys car putts out in a turn??track call?gee you think
    Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Having been a trackowner and race director, I do not critique turn marshaling. When I hear racers critiquing marshaling, my ears close. Racing is the fun part, the marshals are doing a "chore". Racers should always be thankful. Over the years I have observed some racers almost always thank the marshal for putting the car back on the track no matter how long it took. Usually turn marshals are trying too hard and tie themselves in a knot. Compassion my friends, compassion. Nothing in slotcar racing is that important to think we can criticize another human being for doing his/her best. If you are off the track, you made a mistake, end of story.

Another thing about racing that Mike mentioned is race directing. That is another thankless task. Racing is the fun part, race directing is a public service.

Then we have the issue of track calls? What the heck are those for anyway? Usually during the driver's meeting we review what a track call is for. If the turn marshal cannot reach a car, he calls "track". That may be for a car under the track, or in front of the driver's panel....anything out of reach. Also in some series a rider is a track call....not all series though.

What happens during a track call? Cars are back on the track. End of story. Race director should ask, "track clear?" Marshals reply, "clear". Hit the space bar and off we go. That is ALL track calls are for.

I think sometimes we forget that track calls are not for repairing cars. Some racers feel it is imperative for marshals to fix their braid. No, that is a courtesy....optional. I like it when somebody says, "check the braid" and the marshal looks and says, "yup, they're both there". That is the correct attitude. If you got caught up in a wreck and your braid is messed up, then you, the racer have to pull the car off during the green and fix it. Last week I even heard complaints about the poor service they got on fixing braid. Come on people, that is not what a track call is for. Fix your car yourself, you'll do the best job. Track calls are not for other more major repairs. If your car needs ANY repair and the track is clear, guess what? The track power should come back on. The racers should not be waiting around for any repairs.

Those are a few thoughts besides race format that have come up for me during this discussion. It has been a really great discussion too, I've learned a lot from all presenters.

And you wonder why I don't participate in NorCal races. It's like going to war every month & bringing back broken cars. Track calls are way too many & unwarranted and the turn marshals are never appreciated. Spending a $100 for a 16D motor is just plain stupid; aren't they supposed to be the cheapest form of racing? If it's not fun, why are you still doing it?
    Russ Toy
    I am team burrito and I approve this message.

Quote Originally Posted by team burrito View Post
    And you wonder why I don't participate in NorCal races. It's like going to war every month & bringing back broken cars. Track calls are way too many & unwarranted and the turn marshals are never appreciated. Spending a $100 for a 16D motor is just plain stupid; aren't they supposed to be the cheapest form of racing? If it's not fun, why are you still doing it?
    If you add up the price of all the parts plus a small fee for building, they cost close to $100. American arms, can bearing. Makes for a more reliable motor that will last years. You will end up spending much more on handout motors in no time.
    In the long run 16D Nascar is the least expensive class ive seen.
    I thought you did race NorCal Russ. You were fun to race with at Nats, hope to race with you again soon
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by team burrito View Post
    I have to agree with Dub on this one. A well built 16D will last a very long time and be competitive. In fact I had Dub build my motor for this years NorCal series. I raced it in 3 races with tons of practice laps and when I tore it down to freshen it up it was in amazing condition. BTW it was as fast as anything out there ( I wasn't, it was).

Really getting tired of people calling ANY form of racing stupid!!! If YOU don't like it then don't do it ! Personally I'm not interested in Retro but I think it is great that it is growing. Why would you call out the STRONGEST and BEST supported racing class in California ? Don't we want slot car racing to grow ?
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post

Really getting tired of people calling ANY form of racing stupid!!! If YOU don't like it then don't do it ! Personally I'm not interested in Retro but I think it is great that it is growing. Why would you call out the STRONGEST and BEST supported racing class in California ? Don't we want slot car racing to grow ?
    I agree with this statement. I went to a wing car race over the winter that I traveled over 4 hours to get to. I had set up in my pit area and was going through my motors when a racer that was local t the track set up next to me. He then proceeded to tell me how lame this race was, that glue racing was awful he made fun of the fact that a lot of us brought multiple setups, motors, tires and a variety of glue. I just sat there and tried not to pay much attention to him. In my head all I was thinking was if your so opposed to wing cars and glue racing then why are you here today? I don't show up to scale car or retro races and insult that type of racing.

For me, last night was time to get back to working on the cars now that my NORCAL season is completed (having run eight events). Got to work stripping old worn rubber off hubs and cleaning up the hubs. Probably sometime this weekend it'll be time to get out the 3M #80 spray adhesive and glue up some more donetti. Also pulled motors out of chassis and did a thorough cleaning of the Bulldog 3s, oiled them and bagged them. Won't need those until the Flat Track Worlds, I don't foresee any testing.

Speaking of testing, in the next few weeks I should be putting in some eurosport testing with some new arms.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    I thought you did race NorCal Russ. You were fun to race with at Nats, hope to race with you again soon
    It was great racing with you at this year's Nats. Out of the four Nats I've raced, this was the most fun I've had in a long time. I did race NorCal for a couple of years, but the racers became too aggressive & it wasn't fun for me anymore.

I still stand by my opinion (& it's just my opinion) about $100 16D motors. I do prefer the American arms over the puny Chinese arms, but I do not like the more exotic set-ups such as Camen & Red Fox. IMO, this just pushes the cost to race oversized C-can motors. I prefer the stock Parma & Pro/Slot set-ups, but there's no turning back now.
    Russ Toy
    I am team burrito and I approve this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    For me, last night was time to get back to working on the cars now that my NORCAL season is completed (having run eight events). Got to work stripping old worn rubber off hubs and cleaning up the hubs. Probably sometime this weekend it'll be time to get out the 3M #80 spray adhesive and glue up some more donetti. Also pulled motors out of chassis and did a thorough cleaning of the Bulldog 3s, oiled them and bagged them. Won't need those until the Flat Track Worlds, I don't foresee any testing.

Speaking of testing, in the next few weeks I should be putting in some eurosport testing with some new arms.
    Are you planning on going to Slugfest also or just The Flats ? Are you thinking of putting together a couple of wing cars and vie for that coveted "pie"
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Are you planning on going to Slugfest also or just The Flats ? Are you thinking of putting together a couple of wing cars and vie for that coveted "pie"
    Hi Alan, not enough vacation time to go around! Wife and I enjoyed our one week trip to Vashon last October we are planning another week long trip for this October too....but probably somewhere else warmer. If my full time job was slotcars, I'd go for the air cars, but there's enough on my plate for the Flat Track Worlds to keep me more than busy. Saturday is LMP and Group 10....those are good warm up races although I don't look forward to running a Falcon type motor. Sunday is going to be a long day with GT12, 1/32 ES and 1/24 ES....R E A L L Y L O N G D A Y. That's why I am flying home on Monday.

I was given a Chec GT12 chassis I was told it is a copy of 2009 worlds champion.
    My question is is it worth my time to put it together an mount a body.Is it out dated and will I be wasting my time and tires to dial this puppy in.
    Our club is having a GT12 light race for falcons and puppydogs with LMP bodies it looks like a good cadidate for that race!
    It looks like a slick7 to me?
    Has any one tested any redfox LMP coupe bodies Audi r18, Puegot, Mercedes which works better.
    Last edited by Flyin Brian; 05-12-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    Go fast or go Home.

Brian,

I don't know of a GT12 world championship, and if there were one it would be an Open 12 world championship. That said, Open 12 (and I presume that your chassis is actually an Open 12) is a very popular class in Europe and in all of the various US ISRA regional series. The Horky Open 12 chassis is either the best or one of the best Open 12 chassis. I suspect that your chassis is either a Horky or a Horky copy, and 2009 is recent enough to make me think that it makes sense to build it and try it out.

One word of caution though, if your series is using strict USRA rules, only chassis on the USRA list are legal for GT12. (This is the only important difference I know between GT12 and Open 12.)

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    Brian,

I don't know of a GT12 world championship, and if there were one it would be an Open 12 world championship. That said, Open 12 (and I presume that your chassis is actually an Open 12) is a very popular class in Europe and in all of the various US ISRA regional series. The Horky Open 12 chassis is either the best or one of the best Open 12 chassis. I suspect that your chassis is either a Horky or a Horky copy, and 2009 is recent enough to make me think that it makes sense to build it and try it out.

One word of caution though, if your series is using strict USRA rules, only chassis on the USRA list are legal for GT12. (This is the only important difference I know between GT12 and Open 12.)

Greg
    That's good you clarified that Greg. Actually, Brian and I race together in the NORCAL series which runs GT12, not Open 12. I would say the technical difference with GT12 is the restricted price limit on the chassis. As you know, a Horky Open 12 chassis is upwards of $300 whereas the USRA price for a GT12 is just north of $60. All we have to do is get Horky to drop his price down to $60 for his Open 12 chassis and I think everyone would be happy, except Vladimir would be losing money on that deal....