Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I'm pretty sure I understand the issue, sometimes the luck of the draw is pretty discouraging. There are very few clean heats. However, it would also seem that anything that adds to the overall length of the event will be a killer. This includes qualifying and split mains, most likely.

It looks like racer turnout is a double-edged sword?? Could there possible be a seeding system based on driver point totals after the first race of the season? Maybe the top 4 or so in each driver class get A main spots, everyone else has to race their way in, maybe in shorter-heat qualifiers.... I don't know, but the more ideas that pop up the better.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I'm pretty sure I understand the issue, sometimes the luck of the draw is pretty discouraging. There are very few clean heats. However, it would also seem that anything that adds to the overall length of the event will be a killer. This includes qualifying and split mains, most likely.

It looks like racer turnout is a double-edged sword?? Could there possible be a seeding system based on driver point totals after the first race of the season? Maybe the top 4 or so in each driver class get A main spots, everyone else has to race their way in, maybe in shorter-heat qualifiers.... I don't know, but the more ideas that pop up the better.
    Dave, we did it once in Modesto last season and it was great. We run the same number of entries. The only added time is between the finish of the first race, and the start of the second race. My theory is there will be many less track calls which add an incredible amount to any race. I believe running two separate groups is the way to go and will make the flat track racing more successful. It can't keep going the way it is.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

SR, you could well be right on the split mains vs track calls. I'd say give it a shot on the flats and see what happens, maybe it would help on the other tracks as well?? I'd like to see the race directors be assigned or appointed as well, rather than anyone who can find the space bar on the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post
    I looked at this too and came to two conclusions from just looking back at the races this year so far. Some of the races would have had 4 or 5 Am/Ad guys marshalling 18 Ex/Pro guys. .......
    I know I'm not there any more but quick math tells me that 18 Ex/Pro guys gives you 10 Ex/Pro marshalls plus the 4-5 Am/Ad guys at any one time.
    Alan Ingram

what does marshalling have to do with anything alan ? norcal flat track racing association exp and pros only.if your slow and make us crash were gonna quit?.why dont more people get involved with slotcar racing? why is this hobby dwindling? d-3 next year f-this

Quote Originally Posted by fester View Post
    what does marshalling have to do with anything alan ? norcal flat track racing association exp and pros only.if your slow and make us crash were gonna quit?.why dont more people get involved with slotcar racing? why is this hobby dwindling? d-3 next year f-this
    Hey Fester,
    I was only responding to Ryan's comment.
    Alan Ingram

Can anyone tell me what is the braid depth on the NJ Devil?

Loudcat
    I am pretty sure .015 give or take .001
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

I do not believe that anyone enters a race to finish last or become a moving target.

There is a lot of talent within the ranks of NCSCRA. Would it be beneficial to all, if those who posses that talent would take a few minutes out of their race day to mentor those of lessor talent on the finer points of driving technique and car/controller set-up in order to help them improve their program?

Could this improve the racing for all and promote greater participation split or no split?

Just a few thoughts................
    Last edited by backintheslot; 02-19-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: fat finger..............
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

In Great Lakes ISRA we have been having a end of year team race. Try to match up A & B drivers so they can learn in a little bit in a laid back setting. I think it has went over well and really helped the new people not just with their racing, car setup, etc..... throughout the year they have a new friend that will lend them a hand and offer some good advice.
    Why do I do this to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Loudcat
    I am pretty sure .015 give or take .001
    Mic, if you run a Bulldog 3, how do you set up your guide with the .015" braid recess?

Just measured my 12 car the anaconda has braid recess is 10 thousandth and I took 6 thousandth out of it from the last time it was raced at speed zone. So on the anaconda I run cut down flag and no spacers and at Speedzone I add about 6 thousandths, I used the red braid depth block to check the way the 12 car was set . So the braid at speed zone is just over 15 Thousandths. I also sand the flag just to make sure it has no high spots.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Just got my new lane stickers

photo-102

And with shameless plug, available from Pavel Flaisig

photo-103

Scr
    are you going to use these for special races . very cool idea but we get them for free around here with your race entry. Have to talk to the club guys maybe get some for the club.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Scr
    are you going to use these for special races . very cool idea but we get them for free around here with your race entry. Have to talk to the club guys maybe get some for the club.
    Wow Mic, that's cool. You mean you get the personalized lane stickers with your photo in the background and your name on the bottom? You guys run a class act!