Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Frank builds the fast stuff. :-)
    Michael Colvin

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    ...so Vegas, what are the specs on your ride? and how do I get one? Bert
    You know Jason, that's a good question!

I ran a beat to death Bulldog 1 with an Outisight high down force Mercedes. The motor is a Cahoza setup with a ProSlot arm, geared 8/42. With the tires tall it was hard to drive, as reflected in my lap total. Once the tires went down it was really fast!
    that's a wrap!

You know Jason, that's a good question!
    Seemed relevant at the time-

mmmmmmmmMercedes! I like it. Turns out, I think I have one of those! This is at the heart of the Slot Car Racer Philosophy, returning to the land of the past pays dividends.... Speaking of dividends and the past, where is the Apple Stock from 92' that I almost purchased. Can you please pass the mustard?
    Asking all things relevant-

Thank God I can get back on OWH. Yesterday I got this malware error message telling me I could not go to this website or something bad would happen. Lots of posts on the other blog said the same. Seems like it was OK for some users, not OK for others like me. Anyway, good to see the website is back for my viewing and posting pleasure. I'm gluing in some T5 magnets this evening, two O cans and two UL cans to make some brand new set ups for NORCAL. Heading out to TNT Raceway for some testing next weekend (after this weekend), all top secret testing of course. Nobody knows about it, so don't talk about it.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I better get to work!!!
    Frank Sarkela
    Slot Car Raceway & Hobbies
    305 Southwest Blvd
    Rohnert Park, CA 94928
    707-795-4156
    Visit our Raceway Website: http://www.scrhobby.com
    Visit our Online Store: http://shop.scraceway.com

Back from the grocery shopping this morning, then finished up a brand spanking new Bulldog 3. Built this one to the same spec I ran at Unca Frank's Birthday Race...seems to get a lot of laps. Getting things together for the first NORCAL race now only a few weeks away.

DSCN4772

.047 rails? Or do my highly "cali-prated" eyes deceive me?

Also I was "speaking" or rather "face-booking" with another racer the other day and he asked me if I knew how to make treated tyres- If I recall correctly, you had a recipe for just the occasion. Was your venture into the treated tyre world successful? If it was, would you mind sharing your process?

Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    .047 rails? Or do my highly "cali-prated" eyes deceive me?

Also I was "speaking" or rather "face-booking" with another racer the other day and he asked me if I knew how to make treated tyres- If I recall correctly, you had a recipe for just the occasion. Was your venture into the treated tyre world successful? If it was, would you mind sharing your process?

Bert
    Bert, same old configuration for Bulldog 3....I find it works, so I am stuck with it....Yup, .047" highly calibrated rails at 3.321" long, unsoldered rear tubes with minimum steer. As for treated tyres, I don't know a thing about them. I am going with Hermanator's comments that "it is a dark art". Kind of scared me away, I had visions of witches and hobgoblins.

Bert,

Good luck getting someone to post what the "black art" of treating tires is. I sure don't know what they use, but I do know that I rarely if ever need to use treated tires in the racing I do.
    Gary Johnson

SCR
    Thanks for you advice on the baby Piero got it built just in time to race it was awesome even with big tires didn't have time to cut them before the race started. Also built a 1/24 Horky got that done 1/2 hour before the race what a great chassis after 1 Minor ride height adjustment that killed me in qualifying . fixed it with a couple .003 spacers in the 2 minute warm up probably could have got away with 1 it was just unbelievably good . got into 2nd place for a time but some problems with braid burning that extra .003 didn't help and 1 body pin and a horrible heat on red put me well back then a hit in traffic in the beginning of the last heat moved the motor and the spur shredded and that was that .Will be starting work on the cars well in advance for the USRA Nats ( think I learned a lesson) . rushed my motor building for my stuff just ran out of time my 12 motor was great for 6 heats then lost all the brakes it was coasting for 10 or 15 feet from full speed just pulled it didn't want to ruin anyone's race.Well have to start prep for the first Garden State Isra Race at the Race Place in 2 weeks .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic what caused the brakes to go away. Did it lose spring tention?
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Mike not sure haven't taken box out of truck yet will be checking it later this week and will post what I find. I'm thinking a spring .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Well got rained out at work so pulled my stuff out of the truck and pulled the 12 motor out of the dog 3 and to my surprise the springs where both there but the new motor brushes I put in it 2 days before the race where almost non existent . opened a new bulk pack of gold dust pro brushes and had a few size problems but not on all sets I used . had a loaner b-pro motor go flat on a buddy after 6 heats no brake lose but it slowed a tenth or 2 it was a rocket for 6 heats. Will check that 1 later. Thinking I need to contact scott at PCH and ask for a new pack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 motor brushes..jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	11506  

Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

so now I'm curious the b pro motor showed way to much brush wear for 1 race built same day as 12 motor. Measured a new brush .236 positive side .1825 difference .0535 negative side .1740 difference .062 . next I will have to check my group 10 motor it was a missile the week before i rebuilt it and a dog when i was testing ended up with a motor that had 2 races on it.I won the b main and finished 6 overall with it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b-pro brushes..jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	11507  

Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

are we starting to see bad brushes again, this happened a while ago with both sbfII's and gold dust i believe.