Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Mike Kravitz, bet you aren't flying into Midway today! .
    You are CORRECT! But I did leave O'Hare on Sunday!

I had two Speedshop DR40s in an earlier life (before my interest in flat track racing....). Just wondering if there was a different set up. Still want to see what Mr. Mazur is doing with controllers. Hopefully will see his efforts in February at the Masters.

Thank you Hermshow- I will try to adjust the pin tube and see what that gets me- I do not run a TON of body reinforcement, usually a piece of the bulletproofing and the koford strapping tape on a 45 degree angle so that the lines form perpendicular angles to each other inside vs. outside.
    I will be there for sure- I might see if I can get "permission" for a Friday test session- FINGERS CROSSED!!!!
    Jason
    Asking all things relevant-

Last night I started to build the new motors with recently acquired ($$$) parts (Cahoza$$$). Of course, the Cahoza parts practically fall together with no work at all...maybe the most work is scoring the inside of the can for the Skinner glue! So far I've loaded up one Koford G12 arm 42* into one of the Cahozas, still need to put a new BOW G12 arm in the other. Got the BOW Contender rebalanced after putting a race on it, that will go into the Kelly four hole with the T5 magnets, the Brute Set Up. Hopefully get that all done tonight. Fred and I are planning a chassis and motor building workshop out at TNT Raceway in Modesto. Our first workshop Fred built a Champion Turboflex and I rebuilt a bag motor. This time, Fred is doing a Cheetah 11 (a lot more work!) and I'm building a motor from parts. We're looking at Feb 12 or 19. Uh oh, gotta go...

At the club last night and did some testing for Area Nationals qualification round next week. I ran a replica of your 32 esport. Old Horky chassis with Camen speedshop single mag set up with Valiko 23/25. Car was very smooth and easy to drive. Thanks to you may have finally found a stand by car to my new Horky with horky 12 mag motor.

all your talk of controllers ahas spurred me on to get used to my new defalco. I've hooked it up to a Koford choke and got some new chips made by Mike read here in the UK. It came with a 180 chip (not much use) and a 148 chip (falcon cars) main purpose of the test was to find a controler to tame my new Horky f1 motor 36/27. I used a new 52 chip with full choke and bingo I can now drive the car. It felt awesome. I ran a new 29 chip for the 32 Es and it felt great. Then moved onto our gp 12 32 saloon class using the 52 chip. it felt great as well. The relay and brake circuit is a real step up from the Kapriwa so I guess I'll be using the defalco from now on. Brai Saunders has been on at me for 6 months to do this. Should have listened earlier but it did require a choke which I have only recently acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    At the club last night and did some testing for Area Nationals qualification round next week. I ran a replica of your 32 esport. Old Horky chassis with Camen speedshop single mag set up with Valiko 23/25. Car was very smooth and easy to drive. Thanks to you may have finally found a stand by car to my new Horky with horky 12 mag motor.

all your talk of controllers ahas spurred me on to get used to my new defalco. I've hooked it up to a Koford choke and got some new chips made by Mike read here in the UK. It came with a 180 chip (not much use) and a 148 chip (falcon cars) main purpose of the test was to find a controler to tame my new Horky f1 motor 36/27. I used a new 52 chip with full choke and bingo I can now drive the car. It felt awesome. I ran a new 29 chip for the 32 Es and it felt great. Then moved onto our gp 12 32 saloon class using the 52 chip. it felt great as well. The relay and brake circuit is a real step up from the Kapriwa so I guess I'll be using the defalco from now on. Brai Saunders has been on at me for 6 months to do this. Should have listened earlier but it did require a choke which I have only recently acquired.
    OK Pat, more info! Who did the Horky knock off? That's great it's working so well, sounds pretty much like the Speedshop formula...in fact on Sunday I just rebuilt my older Horky with the same motor you describe. Good luck on qualifications. You may want to elaborate on that process a little for those who read this thread....this is qualifying for the British 32 Nats....when is that?

Interesting stuff about controllers, Pat. One of my buddies, GearBear, is testing Difalco controllers right now and says they are great. I may have to try one myself now! Your F1 wind is pretty stout!!! We've been using much softer winds per Richard Mack instructions.... Sounds like your #52 chip really softens the sensitivity then? Hmm, this Difalco sounds kind of like a CZ troller with the chips. I've heard that with that type of controller, often racers kind of settle on a "favorite chip" that seems to work for anything. Good tip on the troller.

For those who didn't know, my daughter living near Mid America Raceway in Naperville has been expecting a child. Baby Andrew born around 6am Chicago time this morning. Smart kid, stayed inside where it's warm during one of the biggest blizzards in Chicago history, then decided to appear this morning on a clear day with the roads all plowed. My wife is still in the air as I write this, landing in about an hour, then she takes a cab to the house. I talked with Dad Mashuli (he's from Rwanda), he was beaming over the phone! It was planned as a home birth with a midwife who lives a few miles away. The midwife said things went perfectly, both baby and mom got through it just fine. It was a short labor time of only about 8 hours or so. I'll be visiting the little guy in April during the USRA Nats.
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 02-03-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Downers Grove Il Slot car Capitol of the World

Thumbs up Congrats Grandpa!

OK Pat, more info! Who did the Horky knock off? That's great it's working so well, sounds pretty much like the Speedshop formula...in fact on Sunday I just rebuilt my older Horky with the same motor you describe. Good luck on qualifications. You may want to elaborate on that process a little for those who read this thread....this is qualifying for the British 32 Nats....when is that?

Interesting stuff about controllers, Pat. One of my buddies, GearBear, is testing Difalco controllers right now and says they are great. I may have to try one myself now! Your F1 wind is pretty stout!!! We've been using much softer winds per Richard Mack instructions.... Sounds like your #52 chip really softens the sensitivity then? Hmm, this Difalco sounds kind of like a CZ troller with the chips. I've heard that with that type of controller, often racers kind of settle on a "favorite chip" that seems to work for anything. Good tip on the troller.

For those who didn't know, my daughter living near Mid America Raceway in Naperville has been expecting a child. Baby Andrew born around 6am Chicago time this morning. Smart kid, stayed inside where it's warm during one of the biggest blizzards in Chicago history, then decided to appear this morning on a clear day with the roads all plowed. My wife is still in the air as I write this, landing in about an hour, then she takes a cab to the house. I talked with Dad Mashuli (he's from Rwanda), he was beaming over the phone! It was planned as a home birth with a midwife who lives a few miles away. The midwife said things went perfectly, both baby and mom got through it just fine. It was a short labor time of only about 8 hours or so. I'll be visiting the little guy in April during the USRA Nats.
    Congratulations Gramps! baby Andrew is indead a smart one Weather here has been awful!
    I live Close to Mid America See you at the Nats!
    Cheeto Racing

George,

Congratulations Grampa! I know you have been looking forward to this for quite some time! Won't be long and we'll hear that you have taken Andrew to the track for his first race!

Pat,

When you say you used a 52 chip, what do you mean by that? As George stated, I have been testing the new HD30 Genesis Difalco. I am pretty happy with it for everything but Euro's. It has taken a LOT of changing of resistors to come up with a series that I like. Since I've been a Speedshop Controller guy for many years, I prefer a fairly linear feel. I've actually got a resistor block setup now that feels a lot like my favorite Speedshop, but it won't work on the Eurosports so I need to do yet more testing.

I've actually created an Excel Spreadsheet to graph the resistor values so that I can see the curve to try to get a better idea of what it should feel like before I get to the track. When I get home tonight I'll see if I can upload the spreadsheet for others to play with. I think maybe I'll start a new thread later in the Controller section to see if we can exchange chip settings with people to find out what people like
    Gary Johnson

Re: Difalco Controllers..........DD260 is the Fastest Response Network Kit offering 64 resistance value (2.2 ohm). Do you know what resistors are being used to get 52?
    2 ohm resistors would make sense..........but I'm wondering if different resistors are used thru the 29 sockets to achieve 52

BTW...Congratulations Granda George!
    Last edited by MantaRay; 02-03-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Congratulations and best wishes!!!
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Congratulations George, I'm glad to hear Dorothy and baby Andrew are doing well. He already sounds as ambitious as his Grandpa, ready to get started even if he is a week early.

Sounds like a visit is in the cards, maybe you can make it out in a couple weeks ( Feb 18 )and just happen to bring your cars with, I hear there is a race going on that weekend.

Congratulations George!

Congratulations george Grand kids are great you get to spoil them and suger them up then send them home
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

George,

Congratulations!!!

Gearbear,

I have a newer difalco, tho not the genesis one. For flat tracks I use a 148 chip for falcons thru contenders and an 89 for 12s and ESs. Both chips are linear.

The controller has a 2' to 36' built in relay choke and it works just great for Euros. When I'm running 1/32 F1 I hook up a Bugenis toroid choke, I think at about 24' and add with the relay choke till it feels right. The F1 feels great with the Bugenis choke, even tho I never go above 36' total when using both. I need to test more carefully if the Bugenis choke really makes the car any faster. That said, a Bugenis choke makes a great add-on for F1s and enables one to use more normal chokes for the faster Euros.

I do have a larger heat sink on the transistor, other guys have fans. Without a fan or a larger heat sink, the transistor gets too hot with both 1/32 F1s and 1/32 ESs.

I love my controller.

Does the Genesis board add anything useful for flat track racing?

Greg

Congratulations George!

Guys,

Let's move the Difalco controller talk over to the controller thead so we don't get George's thread too far off topic .

As for Chokes for Eurosport. My Speedshop has a rotary switch controlled choke with a full throttle bypass relay built in. I rarely use more than 9ft of choke with this controller (my switch advances the choke 3ft for each position). The choke is a wire wound choke on an aluminum tube. I'm not sure what gauge wire Alex used to build the choke, but more than 12ft will drastically delay the controller response. So, 3-6ft of choke is usually enough to drive just about any Euro. If I get up to 12ft, it usually means the car is not handling well and I'm searching for a magic bullet that I don't have!

I now have a week to get my cars ready for the next series race. In that time I'm going to have to rebuild 2 Euro motors, rebuild a Contender motor, paint 4 bodies, and do some chassis work on my flexi cars. Gonna be a busy weekend for sure!
    Last edited by GearBear; 02-03-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    Gary Johnson