Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Does this fuse look familiar to anyone, something readily available?

SCR, Just for future reference, When in a pinch (as in what happened to you Saturday) you can also find a few spares in most 1/1 vehicles fuse blocks unless of coarse they have already been used.
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

George,

Is the armature floating in the magnetic sweet spot????

Or does the camera lie?

Gary, George,
    Vitula makes an end mill just as you describe. I'm told it's an ordinary end mill with a 2mm (also available in 3/32 for axles) hole spark eroded through the centre.
    Anyhow, if you want one I'm pretty sure Dave Harvey could get on from Mr. Vitula.

Woody
    Woodyatoaklands

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,

If you do that, put the bushing you took out of the can in your drill chuck on the tail stock to support the end of the shaft while cutting the spacer. Should be a relatively simple process to cut down the spacer. I didn't do it that way as my lathes are in the garage and I was in the office when building the motor at 2am. I didn't feel like going out in the rain to get to the garage!
    Yup, that's what I do, but I use a 6mm unflanged bearing for years. The reason I said I need to be CAREFUL is I did this to a Pro Slot 16D arm about a year ago and accidentally dug into the arm shaft!!! I was just in too much of a hurry and was a knucklehead. It then rattled around in the bearing. Oops, fishing weight. So, I will err on the side of the tool not touching the shaft at all, I might have to trim the spacer a tiny bit with my Magnahone diamond tool. I think you mentioned using this diamond tool, Gary, and for sure, to remove .020" would take all night....but I suppose I could sit there and twist it while watching my tape of the Texas race from yesterday. Kyle Busch sure looks like a cool dude with them Oakley sunglasses on as he watches McDowell wheel the #18 around the track.....
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    George,

Is the armature floating in the magnetic sweet spot????

Or does the camera lie?
    That is a great question Ron, and I think I did mention in my first post about this project that it seemed like the arm wanted to travel towards the endbell bushing when I ran it at 2 volts with no spacers. Then, without the brushes and spinning the arm inside the set up, it didn't seem to really load up on either the endbell bushing or the can bearing! That's why I asked people who have previous experience with this particular type of motor, and luckily Steve Forsyth responded. I know he has built some bullet GTP motors for Jonathan. Of course in general you want the arm to spin in the set up so it is centered in the magnetic field and the last thing you want is for the arm to get pulled into the endbell bushing.....heat + friction=our enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheslot View Post
    SCR, Just for future reference, When in a pinch (as in what happened to you Saturday) you can also find a few spares in most 1/1 vehicles fuse blocks unless of coarse they have already been used.
    Big John, went to Radio Shack at lunch and picked some up. While I was there, a couple scammed the guy behind the counter with a stolen debit card, then manager found out and they were out the door trying to catch those two.....when I left I saw the scammee taking down the license number of the car with the scammers inside....they looked a bit giggly in their car....I think they bought an iPad....oops....the guy who got scammed was definitely from the Land of the Undialed.

SR,

If GTP is to be on the flat track, why not start with a typical B-production car and the high downforce body? If do you need a hotter motor, which I'd think that you'd want to prove, you could get there lighter with a 45 deg 0.518 contender or super wasp.

Greg

Greg,

Surprisingly enough, I have found the S16C to be the better arm over the Super Wasp and Contenders in our GTP racing on the Twister. I've never found a motor as strong for our class as I can build with the S16C. I guess it just suits my driving style. The last one I built (I'm going to save it for the Nats) was so much faster than anything I have built before it isn't even funny. I was 2 1/2 tenths faster than the field at the Wade 500. The motor was just wicked!
    Gary Johnson

Greg,

Surprisingly enough, I have found the S16C to be the better arm over the Super Wasp and Contenders in our GTP racing on the Twister. I've never found a motor as strong for our class as I can build with the S16C. I guess it just suits my driving style. The last one I built (I'm going to save it for the Nats) was so much faster than anything I have built before it isn't even funny. I was 2 1/2 tenths faster than the field at the Wade 500. The motor was just wicked!
    Gary,
    What are you using for an arm? Your the second person I've heard say that.

Vic
    Keep your finger on the trigger ,and your eye on the slot

Quote Originally Posted by trickyvic3 View Post
    Gary,
    What are you using for an arm? Your the second person I've heard say that.

Vic
    ProSlot .540" Diameter S16C in a Cahoza UL can with T5 magnets honed to .560".
    Gary Johnson

Last night I glued in the single mags on what used to be the 18 mag Camen set up....18mags to 2 mags is the new program for this particular can and endbell. This set of mags is .420T X .330L, it's a new combination magnet size I haven't used before, .020"-.030" taller than usual. My other two single mag Camen set ups have .390T X .330L and .400T X .330L mags. These are very good for ES32 cars.

The gluing went the best I can remember. I made a new .479" slug with a slot so the endbell screws don't go into the slug, and it was a perfect tight fit with the Skinner on the mags. The mags did not move and a perfect .300" gap on top and bottom. Next I honed out to .490" per Speedshop spec. I have a .492" if it is too tight, but Lee uses the .490 for his singles. I managed to hone carefully enough that I didn't chip the magnets at all, so she came out real purty. I loaded up a Valiko 23t25 in it and just need to brush and spring it this evening, then it will go into my newer Horky ES32 for Sunday.

Yessiree Bob, this Sunday is the next "Eurosport Club" meeting at Frank's. All my eurosport stuff is ready to race....I have both ES24 cars ready to go. The Horky has the Mystery motor with 22t24.5, the Big Piero has the Voki 18 mag with the 84.5 arm.....runs best with a bunch of choke! I have two F1s that run great, the Horky and the Mack. My Baby Piero is running incredibly well with a six mag Gulliver and a Valiko 23t25 ground to .470"....that is REALLY sweet. So, I have cars, just need to race them. Hope somebody shows up this Sunday, otherwise it'll be another test session and then over to Black Bear Diner.

Gary, the motor I built last night is pretty close to GearBear Spec except I used one of the UL Production set ups instead of a purpose built set up like yours. The cutting down of the spacer on the pinion end of the arm went really well, I put on magnifiers and watched what I was doing carefully for a change. Finished it off with the magnahone tool and when I slipped it into the set up, it centered perfectly in the magnetic field (as Zippity pointed out yesterday). I put in one of those Slick 7 brass motor spacers on the comm end. The brushes are completely on the comm, but a bit towards the end of it. I'm going to test this motor this weekend in a NORCAL LMP and see what lap times I get with it compared to my good Super Wasp.

Hermanator told me that the GearBear S16C was just stupid fast in Idaho, so there's no reason to believe the S16C WON'T be faster than a Super Wasp, but I do like to take down lap times and be thorough with my testing. I will also mount an Outisight Bent Lee. Something tells me that for GTP, if you can almost full punch an LMP Audi R10 on the Testarossa with a Super Wasp, it doesn't make sense to go a super high downforce (and high drag coefficient) body such as the Starfarter....but of course we'll have to test both just to make sure. May as well do a Caddy too while I'm at it.

Thanks Gary,
    I'm thinking about building one up myself just to compare the differences.
    Keep your finger on the trigger ,and your eye on the slot

You should like that motor George! And the setup I'm using is actually a BOW setup I got prior to the 2010 Flats for my Group 10 car. It doesn't have really high gauss readings on the magnets, but it has been a really good setup so far. I am now on my 2nd replacement end bell as I have worn them out!

I hope to put together a Bag Cahoza setup with a new S16C tonight when I get home from work. It has the new bevelled magnets. I'm curious to see how well that combination will work on the Twister for Group 10 (our GTP class). I'll then stuff it in the X25 that I bought for the Wade 500 LMP car. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the rocket I raced in GTP at the Wade 500! Although I won't be racing the Rocket... It is to be saved for the Nats.

Hey, don't you have to run the HD Bentlee? The nice thing about it is, you can lower it much farther than the Starfighter. Hence giving you some tunability.
    Gary Johnson

I didn't anticipate getting it finished, but last night I painted eight bodies on a fairly cold evening in the garage. One body is for a 1/32 eurosport that'll be on the used car lot soon, the other seven were the USRA legal LMP bodies for GT12 at the Nats. Painted the Parma Dome & MG Lola, the JK Audi & BMW, and the Red Fox Cadillac, Peugeot and the Audi R18. I left them in the garage overnight and will process them this evening when I get home. It'll be really interesting to get these all mounted and try them out, take notes on how they handle and the lap times. I already have the JK Mercedes CLR painted, mounted and tested but it will be added to the full test whenever that is. I tried the Mercedes out in Modesto last Saturday and it was only two to three tenths off the Starfighter which kind of amazed me.