Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

And the first of the two Parma bodies, I think will be a bit handicapped in testing because the lexan seems thick, weighs 5.9 grams, the MG Lola

DSCN4436 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4437 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4438 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 11-11-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: body correction per Fast Freddie
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

And the other Parma body which I really like the looks, the Dome at only 4.0 grams. The driver kind of looks like he's squirming in his seat...

DSCN4442 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4443 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4444 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 11-11-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: body correction per Fast Freddie

The next Red Fox body is the Cadillac....weight is 4.7 grams

DSCN4439 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4440 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4441 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

The third and final Red Fox body, the favorite in the Chicago area, the Peugeot at 4.9 grams including interior

DSCN4448 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4449 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4450 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

And finally, the favorite of the Seattle area, the JK Products BMW at 5.1 grams

DSCN4445 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4446 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

DSCN4447 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

George I think you have the Parma body ID's reversed. I have a Parma MG still in the bag and I don't remember ever buying a Dome. I believe the body with the indents on the front fenders is an MG. Good testing George I'll be waiting for the results. By the way On your original BD chassis with .047 wire, do you solder it at both ends or use rear steering? Why do you leave so much meat on the front edge of the body? Is that just for testing? Thank you Fred
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    George I think you have the Parma body ID's reversed. I have a Parma MG still in the bag and I don't remember ever buying a Dome. I believe the body with the indents on the front fenders is an MG. Good testing George I'll be waiting for the results. By the way On your original BD chassis with .047 wire, do you solder it at both ends or use rear steering? Why do you leave so much meat on the front edge of the body? Is that just for testing? Thank you Fred
    Thanks Fred, I made the corrections.

For the Bulldog 3, I've been using rear steer, just a touch. On the 2009 Bulldog, soldered both ends always worked best for me.

As for body meat, I like to leave something there for guide clearance and for trimming when I get to the track. If you have it trimmed really low profile and get to the track and it is dragging in front.....that's a real drag.....means you have to pull the bullet proofing all apart and basically remount the thing. The other reason why I leave so much meat on the front edge is because I like to!

Hey George,

On the Caddy, do we have to leave the Diaplane? Or can we cut it off? I suspect we will have to leave it as the rules require 1mm of verticle body on the nose and I don't see how you could do that if the diaplane is cut off.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Hey George,

On the Caddy, do we have to leave the Diaplane? Or can we cut it off? I suspect we will have to leave it as the rules require 1mm of verticle body on the nose and I don't see how you could do that if the diaplane is cut off.
    Gary, get yourself a Caddy and try it yourself. My impression is if you cut it off, there won't be much of a vertical lip on the body like you said. I studied the Caddy for a while and could not see cutting the diaplane off. The good news is, this is the best Red Fox diaplane I have seen on any of the bodies I have worked with. In NORCAL the rules require cutting on the stupid cut line, so we have to leave the diaplane on the Audi R10 and the Acura.....it is HORRIBLE that way!! Don't know if you ever tried it. The diaplane tends to kind of arch up in the middle and you get a body with a fish mouth....looks like a slot car bottom feeder.

On the Caddy, it actually has a decent diaplane, seems like it will retain it's flatness.
    Gary, I have to say that all these bodies appear to look good, I can't see anything BAD about any of them...but of course the whole point of this exercise will be to try them each on the track and get impressions of each one. They look good now, but I will be adding pin holes to move these bodies forward and back, and eventually will lower them to see how they work with lower spoiler. By the time I get done with them, they'll look pretty Frankensteined. Right now the spoiler heights are all the same at USRA legal maximum of 1-5/8".....gotta take them down to 1-1/2" eventually.
    By the way, for full test results send a stamped self addressed envelope, a box top from a Cracker Jacks and a $20 bill to:

SLOTCAR RACER TESTING SERVICE
    PO BOX 48
    BATTLE CREEK, MI 49014
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 11-11-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: correction per Wallbasher

What, no box tops?
    Why do I do this to myself?

Bill for $20.00 sent today- expect payment in full soon
    Asking all things relevant-

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    Bill for $20.00 sent today- expect payment in full soon
    Bert, if you're on the way to Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif., site of the 2006, 2008 and 2012 USRA Scale Nats I'll bring the test bodies with me and you can try some on the Hooperdog3. I hope to have enough time (although the schedule is tight with the birthday party) to try out a few myself. Hopefully see ya at Frank's later this morning!

Tested all the LMP bodies on my best GT12 yesterday with the help of Paul Gawronski. He called out the lap times and helped with a second set of eyes to see how the different bodies looked going around the green lane on the Testarossa. We were both surprised at how equal all the bodies were, they were all within a few tenths. A few were for sure more awkward looking going around the track, but they still ran between 4.23-4.28 laps....just not very pretty to watch. There was a mid pack batch of bodies, but the two that stood out as the fastest and smoothest looking were the JK Products Audi R8C and the Parma Dome. Both were knocking on the door of 3.9...both ran 4.007. The Audi looked a little better in the esses, very smooth.

Gary, the JK BMW was a mid pack body, I could get 4.11 out of it and it didn't look very smooth. For Chicago guys, the Peugeot was similar, only high 4.1s to low 4.2s and looked quite tail happy. Reinforced my original impression that it has a lot of front downforce and sort of lifts the back end.

Our time was limited, but we did get through all the bodies and retested a few after going through the entire batch. I need to get back for another test session to recheck all of this because our time was kind of rushed yesterday, but we did find out a lot about these bodies.

Its a shame Bert didn't make it. I would like to see the results on his Hooperdog.
    Alan Ingram

SR
    I run the red fox Audi r-8 on my euro and like it a lot without the diaplane.Which gives it a lot more rack then your JK r-8
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com