Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    I run the red fox Audi r-8 on my euro and like it a lot without the diaplane.Which gives it a lot more rack then your JK r-8
    Mic, the testing we are doing is for the USRA Scale Nats and the Red Fox Audi R8C is not on the body list. I like the Red Fox Audi R8C without the diaplane too, great body, but we can't use it. Also in USRA our maximum spoiler height is limited to 1-5/8" so not as much rake as you were pointing out.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

SR
    Sorry thought the red fox was on the list.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    Sorry thought the red fox was on the list.
    Oh, that's OK Mic, it's the USRA rules. I just got an email from CRASH CODGER who looked over the test results and he said that the JK Audi 8 is pretty much the same as the JK Products Audi 8...that's my impression too. I think on my JK Audi 8 I might be able to slam the front a bit more too. The Audi 18 kind of blew my mind! I think that dorsal fin has quite an effect on side bite. Have you tried that body Mic? Or is it not on the ISRA list?

George,

Seattle testing:

Red Fox R 18 Very bad, felt like it was running on pebbles.
    Red Fox Caddy Unstable and loose off the turns.
    JK BMW Smooth but could not be pushed to hard in the turns. Best body so far.

Looks like we are going work hard finding good handling with the bodies on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Oh, that's OK Mic, it's the USRA rules. I just got an email from CRASH CODGER who looked over the test results and he said that the JK Audi 8 is pretty much the same as the JK Products Audi 8...that's my impression too. I think on my JK Audi 8 I might be able to slam the front a bit more too. The Audi 18 kind of blew my mind! I think that dorsal fin has quite an effect on side bite. Have you tried that body Mic? Or is it not on the ISRA list?
    SR it's not on the Isra list .kind of looks like a speed boat to me .Still don't get what USRA is trying to do with the gt-12 class with these body's But there's not a lot I do get from the whole Usra rule book.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Speedshop View Post
    George,

Seattle testing:

Red Fox R 18 Very bad, felt like it was running on pebbles.
    Red Fox Caddy Unstable and loose off the turns.
    JK BMW Smooth but could not be pushed to hard in the turns. Best body so far.

Looks like we are going work hard finding good handling with the bodies on the list.
    For those of you who are not familiar with Speedshop testing, it is really the best, so this is great data. Question Lee: with the Audi 18 where did it feel like pebbles? How was it in the lead on, dead man, and sweeper versus the twisty bits up on top? Another question, out of curiosity, when you say the Caddy is unstable, what does that translate into?

My criteria is based on two things: 1) lap time, 2) how the car looks particularly in the esses on the Testarossa. With Lee's comment on the Caddy, I would guess that on the Testarossa "unstable" means it looks sloppy when changing direction in the esses. Those turns are at the end of a short uphill banana straight, you have basically 180 degrees to the right, 180 degrees left, and 180 degrees right again and on to the main chute. Unstable, to me, would mean the car looks "jerky" or "sloppy" in the esses...and that's where you can lose a lot of time on the Testarossa. The rest of the track is pretty high speed, especially the downhill donut...really, really, really fast! The Ninety is another place to watch as you are coming off the full punch donut with A LOT of speed and you want to go through the Ninety smoothly. But the esses are the best place to assess how a car/body is handling.

That said, I also found the Red Fox Caddy did not produce very good lap times, and it looks relatively jerky in the esses. Car would get bite, then kick out suddenly.

As previously noted in an earlier thread, the two bodies that stood out in my first test were the JK Audi R8 and the Dome because they were running 4.0s consistently....probably because they were very clean in the esses, very smooth looking. The other bodies were second stringers. But, I need to get back there on another day, different conditions, and try those again. It would be interesting to see if the results are the same.

I was just a spectator to the testing, but the Caddy looked unpredictable and the R18 was very loose out of the turns. The BMW was able to put down smooth consistent laps.

It amazes me that Lee is still one of the premiere slot car builders around even after close to 50 years ! While he is at his best with Eurosports and cobalt power, he also builds and prepares some of the fastest Hawk 7 powered cars. Last Sat LMP race results had Lee 1st (new total lap record) and Chris Everett in 2nd with a brand new Speedshop car in Chris's debut in the NW Challenge Cup Series. BTW, Chris recently gave Beuf a run for his money at the Wade 500.

Maybe with a little prompting we can get Lee to elaborate a little more on his tests.
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    I was just a spectator to the testing, but the Caddy looked unpredictable and the R18 was very loose out of the turns. The BMW was able to put down smooth consistent laps.........Maybe with a little prompting we can get Lee to elaborate a little more on his tests.
    Absolutely, I am all for it!

Has anyone tried the Parma Caddy body on their 1/24 G12 Eurosport chassis?

They are the body of choice on our flat track
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Zip
    It's not on the USRA approved body list.This thread is about the USRA body's
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

SR,
    Do you think that different bodies will work better on different chassis? Or do you think you will discover a body of choice on all chassis?
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Has anyone tried the Parma Caddy body on their 1/24 G12 Eurosport chassis?

They are the body of choice on our flat track
    Hi Zip, as Mic noted above, we were talking about the USRA bodies, but in answer to your question, tons of racers in our local northern California series run the Parma HD Caddy....you're right, it's a great body. Not surprised you guys use it in NZ. Our local series runs HD bodies in GT12 class, but at the same time we are working on the lower downforce LMP bodies for the upcoming USRA Nats in March 2012. Oh, by the way, have you tried out the Red Fox Starfighter, the long version? I really like it, but mount it as low as possible so the inside top of the body is nearly touching the motor.

I never realized that the Parma body wasn't an USRA "approved" body How weird.

I haven't tried the RF body. Unfortunately, out here, a lot of the lower DF bodies that you guys race, have not been approved or accepted by the NZSCA

And of course, that really pi55es me off
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Gt12 is the only class left with a Pro/Am split. The bodies tested above were the only ones listed as legal for LMP and "Pro" Gt12.

Forgive me if I am wrong but, This leads me to believe that the HD bodies such as the Caddy are still legal to run in Am Gt12. Of coarse confirmation of this seems to be a little tough to obtain since we do not as of yet have a 2012 rule book!

Now back to you SCR.
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

George,

I was present for part of Lee's body test. I didn't see the R18 run but I did get to see the difference between the BMW and the Caddy. The BMW was better on most of the track but didn't like the transition coming out of the key hole. It was by far the smoothest body and resulted in the best lap times. The caddy was a bit slower and was looser in the key hole and very loose on the lead on. It was also a bit unpredictable. One time it would be full punch on the lead on, the next it would blow up and come off. Also, the Caddy had the diaplane cut off.
    Gary Johnson