Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Sorry kids, I am just in my own little (so called ) "pro" world....I forgot about the (so called) "amateur" race (aren't we really all amateurs?). Frank posted this program:

Wed. March 28th
    F1 Testarossa
    1/32 Euro Testarossa

Thur March 29th
    GTP Testarossa
    LMP King track
    Meeting

Friday March 30th
    GT-12 Testarossa
    4.5" Nascar king track

Saturday March 31st
    Kids Race King track
    Nascar 4" King track

Sunday April 1st
    1/24 Eurosport

So, I didn't realize both driver groups were on the Testarossa. Anyway, back to Zippity's question, I believe the HD Caddy would then be legal for the (so called) "amateur" class....hard to say what the bodies are for the other race, I know the HD Caddy has been run before.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,

I was present for part of Lee's body test. I didn't see the R18 run but I did get to see the difference between the BMW and the Caddy. The BMW was better on most of the track but didn't like the transition coming out of the key hole. It was by far the smoothest body and resulted in the best lap times. The caddy was a bit slower and was looser in the key hole and very loose on the lead on. It was also a bit unpredictable. One time it would be full punch on the lead on, the next it would blow up and come off. Also, the Caddy had the diaplane cut off.
    Gary, like I said I will be going back to the track we are racing on for the Nats shortly to go through these bodies some more. One thing we haven't talked about is HOW ARE THE BODIES MOUNTED? Some bodies may work better when mounted further forward. Be cautious about assuming that all slotcar bodies have to be mounted as far back as possible, you may accidentally step on some dogma poo. When I am done with these test bodies, they will be mounted in two to three more positions each, and the spoiler height (now at 1-5/8") will eventually end up around 1-1/2". Of course, if you only mount the bodies as far back as possible and as high as possible, naturally one, maybe two bodies will emerge as the best. But, you might be missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheslot View Post
    Gt12 is the only class left with a Pro/Am split. The bodies tested above were the only ones listed as legal for LMP and "Pro" Gt12.

Forgive me if I am wrong but, This leads me to believe that the HD bodies such as the Caddy are still legal to run in Am Gt12. Of coarse confirmation of this seems to be a little tough to obtain since we do not as of yet have a 2012 rule book!

Now back to you SCR.
    That should be correct John.

Although the "body" rule change did not go to a membership vote, and I can not find any printed info on it other than Rodger's posting of the legal bodies, so who knows ?!?!
    Alan Ingram

Alan, Not to hijack SCR's thread but, the rule has not changed. Pro gt12 has used the LMP body and Am gt12 has used the GTP body for at least a half of a hand full of years now.
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

Quote Originally Posted by backintheslot View Post
    This leads me to believe that the HD bodies such as the Caddy are still legal to run in Am Gt12.
    John,

The body list for AM Gt-12 did not change from last year.

rog
    Roger Schmitt

MidAmerica Slot Car Raceway LLC
    109 1/2 West Monroe st.
    Bloomington, IL 61701

630-484-8574

Mid America Raceway Naperville
    1223 E Ogden ave
    Suite 139
    Naperville, Il 60563

Hey Ron
    instead of bitching that a body is not on the NZSCA approved why don't you submit what bodies you want to chris d or even better bring it up at a agm,
    ever heard the saying put up or shut.This about covers it.
    Split

Thanks very muchly for the clarification Rog. Nice and simple for the Am bodies then. What's more, this makes it great for the regular NORCAL racers who run the same HD bodies every month. I think the race at Modesto had 30 GT12 entries.....if most of the NORCAL racers make it to the GT12 races on Friday the 30th, that could be a huge class!

Just put a couple of new Super Wasp arms in some "break-in set ups" to bring down to Fresno on Saturday. Hopefully the raceway owner will give us an all day pass for a flat rate and we can put in at least 1,000 laps on the new track. Good for us to learn it, good for the track to rubber it up and break it in.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiracer View Post
    Hey Ron
    instead of bitching that a body is not on the NZSCA approved why don't you submit what bodies you want to chris d or even better bring it up at a agm,
    ever heard the saying put up or shut.This about covers it.
    Split
    And you don't think that I haven't tried?

Ever heard the expression: "it is like banging one's head against a brick wall"?

Does your snide comment refer to the use of other flexi chassis also? Unlike some, I stand up and challenge the system and offer alternatives, but what good does it do?

After this weekend we probably won't have to worry any more anyway
    Last edited by Zippity; 11-16-2011 at 01:57 AM. Reason: attempted to clarify my case
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

I've really been going backwards in my eurosport program....lots of cool new stuff, real state of the art, Voki set ups, Valiko arms, Horky and Castricone chassis....what's it gotten me? I really can't say it's gotten me anywhere! Hermanator came up with a really good idea...try going back to the eurosport equipment of two years ago. Good thinking. So, last night I did a complete overhaul of my Nats winning Richard Mack Eurosport chassis. After clean up, made sure it was flat and sure enough, the front of the spine needed to be heated so the chassis could relax to flatness. Next, installation of 2mm flanged axle bearings.

After getting the chassis back into top shape, time to pull out a Speedshop single mag "small block" set up and a Valiko 22t24.5 armature, fresh BFII brushes and Camen regular springs. Built up that motor and broke it in. Tonight will be the final assembly and probably mount a new body if I can't find one already mounted.

In February 2010, I ran consistently in the 3.0s with this car occasionally dipping into the 2.9s...this on the Testarossa. Now, with all the new fancy equipment I am lucky to get into the 3.2s!!!! Both Hermanator and I have been scratching our heads (we scratch our own heads, not eachother's by the way) wondering why the slower practice times as the equipment supposedly evolves. Going back to testing the equipment of 2010 we can start to get a handle on what is going on here.

Slotcar Racer:
    Any changes in the track braid/surface/power supplies you may have forgotten about etc? Not that that would escape you.
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

Quote Originally Posted by MentalKase View Post
    Slotcar Racer:
    Any changes in the track braid/surface/power supplies you may have forgotten about etc? Not that that would escape you.
    No Guy, those factors have not escaped me. All the above is pretty much unchanged from the beginning of 2010. We've probably worn out the yellow lane, the braid looks pretty shot. The track is four years old and has not been rebraided. Also the fastest finger in the world, Paul Gawronsky, he has not been able to do 2.9s in a long time too. OK, OK, OK, it might be the track, but I won't be satisfied with that answer until I have tried Hermanator's theory. It could be that the track has lost two or three tenths over the past two years, and we have just kept up with it with the evolving equipment. On Sunday Gawronski ran a Mack chassis, Camen 12 mag set up with a PK 84.5 and his fast time during the race was 3.2. At the 2008 Nats when the track was new, I think we ran 3.0s during the race using Speedshop chassis. It's all interesting data for sure.

Mack Bulldog 3 build query from NZ

Hi Slotcar Racer,
    This is such a great dissertation. Keep up the excellent effort.

I have a current build project of a Bulldog 3 with a C Can G12. Its nearly ready to hit the track. I note that the rear bar that locates the rear pan heights is very keen to move toward the G12 Can Magnets.
    Is this Okay?
    Because I recall that your instruction said to bias the pans forward with the small locator wire in front of the forward lead locator. Should this rear wire be non magnetic (stainless) to stop the Magnetic pull on the pans?

Allan Wellington; New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by NZDRE01 View Post
    Hi Slotcar Racer,
    This is such a great dissertation. Keep up the excellent effort.

I have a current build project of a Bulldog 3 with a C Can G12. It’s nearly ready to hit the track. I note that the rear bar that locates the rear pan heights is very keen to move toward the G12 Can Magnets.
    Is this Okay?
    Because I recall that your instruction said to bias the pans forward with the small locator wire in front of the forward lead locator. Should this rear wire be non magnetic (stainless) to stop the Magnetic pull on the pans?

Allan – Wellington; New Zealand
    Allan, I also noticed this but I don't think it presents any problems....it will tend to pull the pans backwards. Good observation, but just go ahead and try your new Dog 3 as is with the .055" cross bar, see how you like it. I have not found any problem with this chassis even with this gentle rearward pull. If only we could get .055" carbon fibre rod?!?!?

OOOOO there is a local model shop with aircraft supplies and I was eyeing up his .063 carbon rod. I can see what you are thinking 0.055" is a great idea. I will take a stroll now to see if he has any on Stock......

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    At the 2008 Nats when the track was new, I think we ran 3.0s during the race using Speedshop chassis.
    Remember that race was run with the "old" style R10 as a legal body (as opposed to the ISRA R10) not sure that the "old" R10 was worth two tenths but I thought I might mention it. We don't want to see SR with a scratched head.
    Asking all things relevant-