Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Wink

Sorry SCR . I think the link above for these 0.060" carbon rods has been stuffed up -
    try this:http://www.midwestproducts.com/store...Fiber_Rod.aspx

this is a second attempt to place the link

http://www.goodwinds.com/goodwinds/m...FawaQgodDn5Hnw has several sizes of carbon fiber rods.

Good talking on the phone with you tonight George.
    Gary Johnson

Why not brass rod? Not strong enough? At least you can solder the brass rod...

Or is this the floating cross-piece that is not soldered anywhere?

Just pondering... (a bit hard for me to visualize without a chassis or pic in front of me)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Your quest for "Carbon Rod" reminds me a bit of a funny story from "back in the day"...

Forgive my aging brain cells if my memory does not recall accurately... but here's the Reader's Digest version, as best I can recall...

"Canada Dan" Miller (of PK armature fame) and his buddy, the late Ray Nunes, were discussing the latest hot winning chassis - a "Carbonell Wire Car" - which in fact was an all wire (non-steel) chassis built by prominent builder/racer Arturo Carbonell (who later went on to RC racing).

Story has it that Jim "Turkey Man" Stevens was listening in on the conversation... and not knowing Arturo Carbonell, he misunderstood slightly... and set out on a wild goose chase to find a source for "Carbonell Wire".

Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Here's the crossbar on the Bulldog 3

DSCN4346 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    I'm still not convinced that this is really a concern, but yes, the motor magnets do draw the crossbar rearward. Paul, you can see the retainers on the crossbar, these can easily be held in place with the Loctite #638 for cylindrical applications (such as gluing gears to axles). What really interests me about all this (and many thanks to GearBear and NZDRE01 for providing the carbon fiber websites) are the 2mm carbon fiber rod.....I am seeing more possibilities using this for axles on eurosport, although they may be strong, they might be brittle....but I do know that the motor magnets REALLY affect the rear axle.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    Remember that race was run with the "old" style R10 as a legal body (as opposed to the ISRA R10) not sure that the "old" R10 was worth two tenths but I thought I might mention it. We don't want to see SR with a scratched head.
    That's a very good point Bert as SR does not have much hair left to cover the scratch marks.

Since we're talking about carbon rod, how do you cut it (on a lathe) without splintering?

The website that GearBear posted has the following instructions:

Cutting Carbon - To cut carbon rods, use a Dremel motor with an abrasive cutting wheel for the cleanest cut possible. You can also use a fine tooth hacksaw. Be sure the carbon is held securely in place, be careful not to crush. Tape around area to be cut to prevent splintering or separation of carbon fibers. Wear eye protection and dust mask.

SR
    Got everything you said about cutting carbon rod but this part (Wear eye protection and dust mask.) what are they for LOL
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    What really interests me about all this (and many thanks to GearBear and NZDRE01 for providing the carbon fiber websites) are the 2mm carbon fiber rod.....I am seeing more possibilities using this for axles on eurosport, although they may be strong, they might be brittle....but I do know that the motor magnets REALLY affect the rear axle.
    Let's see, extremely hard porous carbon rod.... Don't think it would work for an axle with bushings instead of bearings! Also, the grub nuts would put fractures in the carbon making the brittle rod easy to break. I just can't see it working for an axle.

One of the drawbacks to the carbon graphite fishing rod is that when you put a nick in it they will shatter at that point.
    Gary Johnson

I was worried about the magnetic drag on axles in a Eurosport as well, so I experimented with a titanium axle. Undoubtedly cut a couple of tenths from performance, not sure because of less magnetic drag or lightness of the axle or a bit of both. Sad conclusion was that messing about with the Dowty's track being driven from either end rather than the normal drivers rostrum, a semi-serious crash resulted in a bent titanium rear axle, so back to drill blanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    ....but I do know that the motor magnets REALLY affect the rear axle.
    If the motor magnets are an issue, would a Stainless Steel axle be usable?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1265k17/=ez91dd

I'm not sure if the machining tolerances are equivalent to what we already use...
    Eli Pile

...probably the only guy you know who's name is a palindrome

Let's get serious. There is no "magnet effect" that could be measured by using steel axles on a Eurosport. The "magnetic effect" could only effect torque. Put you Euro car on the power supply at 12 volts and try to stop the tires. Not too easy, is it! In fact if there was a "magnet effect" it would tend to slow down the torque curve and that would be good because we work very hard to build motors that do the same. It's no problem to build fast motor that blows the tires off but building a fast motor that hooks up off the turns is the challenge.

Lee,

The effect that was originally talked about was on the bite bar being pulled back to the motor and affecting the handling characteristics.
    Gary Johnson