Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I am not sure if SR has experimented with the "Dog 3" in this aspect, but have you "preloaded" the wire that ties the pans together- thereby "springing" the pans forward, thus offsetting the motor magnet rearward pull of the crossbar?

Jasn
    Asking all things relevant-

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Lee,

The effect that was originally talked about was on the bite bar being pulled back to the motor and affecting the handling characteristics.
    Yeah, and I'm the knit wit who brought up the whole thing about the rear axle!!! Sorry! Sorry! Sooooorrrrryyyy!! OK, back to the bite bar. Berteinstein makes a good point about adjusting the little .019" front crossbar on the Dog 3. I'm still not convinced that this is really an issue.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I called in sick yesterday and managed to get a lot of slot work done. Tomorrow is practice on the new flat track in Fresno, and the following weekend a practice session with PG. I want PG to try out my eurosports and see what's going on with them, and I'll give him some ideas on C Can motors...seems that he feels it's the weak link in his program, although the last time we raced GT12 he had a ridiculously fast G12 motor....I think an Al Chuck Special.

Anyway, for tomorrow I put together a beater with the 2009 Mack and a Big Dog motor that I found in the junk box. Cleaned it up, cut the comm and broke it in again. Has a good balance, actually sounds pretty wicked. So, that one has a Starfarter on it and the plan is to wear out a couple sets of tires with this car. I also need to put in a few hundred laps each on a couple of LMPs with practice set ups and new Super Wasp arms that need heating up, then they get sent to The Old Man on Monday for grinding and balancing.

For the following weekend, I rebuilt both 1/24 eurosports I ran last Sunday, the Castricone and the Horky. Also built up the 2009 Mack Euro. I discovered I had left a .015" teflon guide spacer in the Horky from running on the Korkscrew, it's no wonder it handled badly on the Testarossa!! For the Castricone I put in a milder motor. The Voki 18 mag with the Valiko 84.5 was way too violent even for the Testarossa, almost had the choke turned up full. Part of it may be the .492" airgap on the set up, but probably mostly too hot a wind. I'll have PG try it next weekend in one of his cars see what he thinks of the motor.

Back at "work" today, feeling "better" and not much to catch up on, only ordering three pairs of lenses for three jobs, that's it. Not bad. Onward....

The car is half packed with slot stuff, just finishing cereal and coffee then will finish packing the car. Hope to get out of here around 7:30. Report to follow.

Got out of the house yesterday at 7:26am and an uneventful ride to Hobbytown USA in Fresno, Calif arriving at 10:31am. Called CRASH CODGER approaching Madera and it turns out he and Grandson had shot down a couple of pheasants north of Merced and were on the way home only 25 minutes or so behind me. So, I got the insider information on the best way to get to the raceway by turning east on Avenue 12 and driving past Rancho Hood to Route 41, then head south to Fresno from that point. It avoided a ton of stop lights on Herndon Avenue apparently. I can't complain about how little time it took to drive from Richmond to Fresno.

The new Hobbytown store is really nice, and the slotcar auditorium is a lot bigger than the last location. I bought an all day track pass for $26.29 and proceeded to learn the track starting with 1,000 laps on the black lane. This photo illustrates why this is probably the hardest lane on the track. The cars go around the track in the photo clockwise, this is the area at the end of the two short main chutes. Banana #1 follows this.

IMG_0209 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

IMG_0205 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

On black there are the two tightest right hand turns on the main chutes requiring precision timing...and it helps to turn the brakes down...the better you time the first right hander, you can easily cut about a tenth off your lap time. Hermanator asked me, on the way home, if the track reminded me of any we had been on, and I can say the only thing that came to mind was timing the hairpin on black at the end of the banana straight on Mid America's MTT reminds me of getting the timing right in the first photo above. What is so interesting is the red lane is completely the opposite, you can literally blast through these areas barely blipping, it is incredibly fast. We are thinking that red may actually be the "fast lane" and black the "slow lane". This will surely be determined at the NORCAL race in two weeks.

The next photo details the section of track that comes back towards the drivers panel via banana #1. This section is very fast.

IMG_0204 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

This fairly straightforward section of track then takes you to what amount to a double esses, a left hander, then right hander, and then left hander which takes you back over an oblique angled bridge to banana #2 and the lead on back to the main chute by the drivers panel.

IMG_0206 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

In the above photo, note that banana #1 is on the left side of the photo coming out of that difficult set of turns on black, and banana #2 is on the right side of photo. These esses are really quick and the car really does not become unsettled going under that bridge. In the 1,000 laps on black, I only deslotted once and ended up blocking the yellow lane halfway through that tunnel. Unfortunately, I found it extremely difficult to retrieve the car because that bridge does not cross over at 90 degrees, but rather at an oblique angle so the area under the bridge is covered by an unusual amount of track above. I had to retrieve the car with a hook that was hanging nearby. Should be interesting to see how this works out at the first NORCAL race.

Here's another photo of the double esses/donut section

IMG_0207 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

And then a shot of the same section from the other side...nice curbing!

IMG_0208 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

And finally, the designer of the track, CRASH CODGER overseeing the action on the track right before leaving
    for home

IMG_0210 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

I got out of there at 5:00pm. KMAC was great yesterday, really helped me get acclimated to the track and he picked up a heart stopper Fosters Freeze burger for me late in the afternoon. I was pleased with my LMP lap times on black, down to a 4.29 with a bunch of 4.31s, but when I went to my GT12 I couldn't go as fast!!! Getting the GT12 set up right is kind of difficult. We concluded it requires a pretty soft motor, big horsepower simply doesn't hook up at all. Out on red CRASH set some new records for practice with 3.97 with the GT12 backed up by a number of 3.99s. I only managed 4.1s, but then again, he is usually at least a few tenths faster than I am....maybe he has a little advantage on this track too for some reason.

The drive home was easy, got home at 8:00pm sharp after speaking for a while with Hermanator. He is probably going to come out for the NORCAL race, but not 100% sure yet. The plan would be to drive out Friday evening from work and stay in a Priceline special so we can get to the track when it opens on Saturday. Then, the most sensible thing would be to stay in the same place after the race and head home on Sunday. A three hour drive doesn't sound too appealing after a long day of slotcars.

OK, I better go pull motor out of the cars. I have a bunch of new arms that got 200 laps each that will get sent to The Old Man tomorrow.

I really like the design of the new flat track in Fresno. Glad to see they got a new home with more room, it was always a great place to race everybody was always really nice and friendly. Fred is just unbleiveable always very fast at every track.

Nice to see a new flat track that does not require horsepower, but a good handling car. It won't be long until somebody can fiqure out how to lay down the horsepower, with a great handling car.

Steve Forsyth
    ParmaPSE
    3rd Eye Technology

That is a nice track! Thanks for the report/photos. BTW, how long is the track?

That's as well a presented track as I've seen Fab job Fred.

After the trip to Fresno, yesterday was almost like a post race day...pulling motors out of cars, pulling arms out, cleaning the ubiquitous corrosion off the steel chassis, etc. Actually, one of the main reasons for putting in a lot of laps on the new 130' flat track was to break in and heat up some new armatures, and with over 200 laps on each arm I think I met that goal. They are packed up and waiting for pick up in the mailbox for a trip to Appomattox.

Also had to take a trip to Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif. to purchase a couple of Parma HD Caddys and also saw the JK Products braid. "Only" $8.95 for 10 pairs, and it is really good looking stuff, a looser and thicker weave.

Looks like a quiet day ahead at "work".

I was cleaning out photos on my iPhone and found this one of the race earlier this month in Modesto. Racing on TNT Raceway's Hillclimb and Korkscrew practice in the background.

modesto by svtgeorge, on Flickr

That was a typo on the amount of the all day track pass, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    That was a typo on the amount of the all day track pass, right?
    'Fraid not KVAN. You might be used to the $15 per day at Midmerica, but then some tracks only do track cards. TNT out in Modesto has $20 for three hours track time and you have to keep going to the counter to have them punch it and turn on a lane. Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif., site of the 2006, 2008 and 2012 USRA Scale Nats has a five hour track card for $45. Then there are some raceways which do not charge at all for track time. It's a wide spectrum and nothing really surprises me. I think the $26.29 at Hobbytown is pretty average for track time, I was there for over six hours which is about $4.38 per hour. That's about half the rate of SCR for example. OK, time to think about turning on the soldering iron, gluing up some donuts, building some motors, etc etc etc

SCR, I would have to agree, slot car racing is a bargain based upon the cost per hour. All of those track rates seem resonable, Mid-America is a real steal and I feel very fortunate to call that my home track. When Roger announced that rate when he took over Fox Speedway, you would have thought he was asking for everyone's first born based on the reaction received. One of the few races I attended away from MA and Chicagoland utilized the pay as you go in 5 min blocks, what a pain in the a$$. After that experience I realized whatever Roger or Mike charged was a bargain.

Got to work last night on bodies for the upcoming NORCAL race at Hobbytown USA, Fresno, CA. Outlined the drivers on two HD Caddys, two Audi R10s and two Starfarters. Did some masking for the usual two tone paint. By the way, it seems the Tamiya paint for polycarbonate (lexan) has returned. The paint was apparently reformulated, probably some EPA nonsense. For 2-3 months no Tamiya paint anywhere. Earlier this month I got a call from Ricky over at Hobbytown USA in Concord, CA only two miles west of the former site of the defunct Slot Car Warehouse. Went over and picked up a number of colors, kind of went crazy after the paint drought. One color I am very excited about is a Ferrari red that looks like it could be the same as the current color used on the F1 cars. Might be a metallic, but I need to try it. Anyway, Thanksgiving will probably be a paint day if the weather stays dry.

SR
    My least favorite thing to do paint body's.Have 3 Bentley and 1 R8 1 RF 1/32 1 R-10 ready for paint have to mask 3 more R-10's Probably spray them Saturday morning.
    doing a bunch of motors all new with Proslot arm"s 5 hand wound 16D's a few 12's and a couple SW's and I've been anything but diligent in doing them so I'm getting behind . Still need to work on my stuff for This Sunday Garden State ISRA Race at the Race Place .Almost forgot have 12 or so rebuilds to do mags bearing arm's sent out boy to much work need more time in the day or less guy's to build for LOL
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com