Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    My least favorite thing to do paint body's.Have 3 Bentley and 1 R8 1 RF 1/32 1 R-10 ready for paint have to mask 3 more R-10's Probably spray them Saturday morning.
    doing a bunch of motors all new with Proslot arm"s 5 hand wound 16D's a few 12's and a couple SW's and I've been anything but diligent in doing them so I'm getting behind . Still need to work on my stuff for This Sunday Garden State ISRA Race at the Race Place .Almost forgot have 12 or so rebuilds to do mags bearing arm's sent out boy to much work need more time in the day or less guy's to build for LOL
    Way way way way way too much stuff to do Mic!!! But.....it sure is fun, isn't it? "Work" almost over for today. Just have one more day tomorrow then a four day weekend. Looking forward to test session with Gawronski and Hermanator on Sunday at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif., site of the 2006, 2008, 2012 USRA Scale Nats and the 12/11/11 Eurosport Club meeting preceded by breakfast at Redwood Cafe where I plan to get a waffle next time because I was not impressed by the steak and eggs due to the fact the steak had very little flavor kind of like eating a wallet for breakfast
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

SR,
    Did you happen to try the Fresno Flat track Backwards? It really looks like a fun track in both directions! Definitely looks like it will be less of a marshaling headache going up hill on the donut. I wish I lived a little closer so I could participate in the NorCal series
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

up Dub I ran the new flat track for over 10 hours total now ,and wish ya can come down and run this track you would love it Greg
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    SR,
    Did you happen to try the Fresno Flat track Backwards? It really looks like a fun track in both directions! Definitely looks like it will be less of a marshaling headache going up hill on the donut. I wish I lived a little closer so I could participate in the NorCal series
    The track really is not that hard, but CRASH CODGER said the first race exactly a week ago had a lot of track calls...cars stuck under the bridge. Maybe there's another race tonight and I will get some more data tomorrow on Turkey Day. I do know one thing for sure, if even one car comes off under the bridge, it is extremely difficult to reach it unless you use some kind of claw, scraper, grappling hook, etc. The bridge goes across at about 45 degrees versus the usual 90 degrees of most donuts, so there is a lot of coverage....do the geometry and you'll see that it can be a very long reach. I sure hope cars don't come off under there!!!

"Beginner's mind".

Important concept. I need to return to it because of its importance. Continuing without it only leads to less and less learning. Less learning leads to going backwards, getting slower and slower. Unless I have a general curiosity about slotcars, it becomes just a continuation of what I already know. When continuing with what I know, I go backwards. Last night I asked CRASH CODGER about front end clearance, something that I just assumed I knew all about. Nope, I need to revisit that area of slotcar set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    The track really is not that hard, but CRASH CODGER said the first race exactly a week ago had a lot of track calls...cars stuck under the bridge. Maybe there's another race tonight and I will get some more data tomorrow on Turkey Day. I do know one thing for sure, if even one car comes off under the bridge, it is extremely difficult to reach it unless you use some kind of claw, scraper, grappling hook, etc. The bridge goes across at about 45 degrees versus the usual 90 degrees of most donuts, so there is a lot of coverage....do the geometry and you'll see that it can be a very long reach. I sure hope cars don't come off under there!!!
    SR that could make for some badly bent chassis for sure .Good luck
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

"Beginner's mind".

Important concept. I need to return to it because of its importance. Continuing without it only leads to less and less learning. Less learning leads to going backwards, getting slower and slower. Unless I have a general curiosity about slotcars, it becomes just a continuation of what I already know. When continuing with what I know, I go backwards. Last night I asked CRASH CODGER about front end clearance, something that I just assumed I knew all about. Nope, I need to revisit that area of slotcar set up.
    SR
    this is right on the money I'm having the most fun when I'm building something different or new doing the same set up time after time gets boring more like a production job then R&D work . I would be interested in what CRASH CODGER had to say about front end clearance
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

..nice curbing!

IMG_0208 by svtgeorge, on Flickr...
    George, thx for the very detailed report and pics. Really, awesome! This is the type of reporting someone should do on every race track featuring any serious slot racing. Great stuff!

Love looking at the rubber lines. I can see a few small air spots but am impressed with the apparent smooth laying of wood at donut. The entry to the bridge will be interesting...

The crew at Hobbytown did a great job of building this track and KMAC did an even better job of finishing it.

SR
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your follower's on this thread Keep up the great work.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by CruzinBob View Post
    George, thx for the very detailed report and pics. Really, awesome! This is the type of reporting someone should do on every race track featuring any serious slot racing. Great stuff!

Love looking at the rubber lines. I can see a few small air spots but am impressed with the apparent smooth laying of wood at donut. The entry to the bridge will be interesting...

The crew at Hobbytown did a great job of building this track and KMAC did an even better job of finishing it.
    Glad you enjoyed the photos Bob, you did a great track here. I agree that the Hobbytown crew did a really great job. I need to contact CRASH today to see if they raced on it again last night and if so, to see how it worked out. Being the night before Thanksgiving I am wondering if they raced. Anyway, I enjoyed the layout and look forward to getting back down there next Saturday. For me it only takes three hours to drive there. Oh yeah, I saw the few air spots too, but doesn't seem to be an issue. Like any new tracks over time they will iron out the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your follower's on this thread Keep up the great work.
    And Mic, Happy Thanksgiving to you and to all of you who bother to read my daily ramblings. Almost a year doing this now and it's been fun. Hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday. We have daughter and boyfriend from Seattle down staying with us until Saturday.

Finished masking the six bodies this morning and have applied a coat of Pactra's Flourescent Orange. We have two Parma HD Caddys, two RF Starfarters and two RF Audi R10Ls. Not the best weather for spraying, but nobody around here is a concours painter. Right now I need to make the turkey stuffing and get going on preparing the bird.

Again, Happy Thanksgiving folks.

I wish our Hobbytown USA had a track like that. The only thing they have is a 4 lane plastic POS that they run those "pretty" hard plastic whimpy motored 1/32 scale cars on. Not my cup of tea. Fred
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    I wish our Hobbytown USA had a track like that. The only thing they have is a 4 lane plastic POS that they run those "pretty" hard plastic whimpy motored 1/32 scale cars on. Not my cup of tea. Fred
    I agree Fred, if cars look extremely realistic, then they're putting too much time into making it a "model race car" and it is no longer a "slotcar". Hope you and Barbara had a great Thanksgiving. Man, it's nice to be home today. Daughter and her boyfriend are leaving this morning, driving back up to Seattle. Got some work done yesterday between feeding sessions. Prepared both GT12s for battle next Saturday....which one will get race duties? Not sure, they are both Bulldog 3s, one is the prototype, the other a recent production piece. Got the HD Caddys mounted yesterday, both right around 1-1/2" spoiler height...one a touch higher than the other. I'm going to try less bulletproofing this time.

DSCN4453 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Hard to see clear lexan, but in this photo there is just a vertical strip of bullet proofing over the rear pin hole, this is the suggestion by CRASH CODGER. The front pin hole takes more of a beating if you should hit something that should not be blocking your lane. For the front end, just a Ninja Amputee (remove all star material) so it is just a disc, and I used a half-wide piece of bulletproofing over it to the front of the body. I had been putting a full width strip up front....bullet proof, yes...flexible, no.

Then the usual rear end bullet proofing, a diagonal strip, and the bracing for the winglets...

DSCN4454 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

They did race the night before Thanksgiving and everything went well

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    They did race the night before Thanksgiving and everything went well
    Great Jim, good to hear. CRASH said you got the paint dug out of purple going into banana #1, so I'm looking forward to putting in some laps on that lane on Friday night. Got a room at Crosslands not too far from the track, driving down Friday after work, leaving Sunday morning. Might as well make it a mini-vacation in Fresno.