Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    George,

I do have a larger heat sink on the transistor, other guys have fans. Without a fan or a larger heat sink, the transistor gets too hot with both 1/32 F1s and 1/32 ESs.

I love my controller.

Greg
    The Heat Sink Block on Greg's Controller is so large that it has a VIN Number
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    OK Pat, more info! Who did the Horky knock off? That's great it's working so well, sounds pretty much like the Speedshop formula...in fact on Sunday I just rebuilt my older Horky with the same motor you describe. Good luck on qualifications. You may want to elaborate on that process a little for those who read this thread....this is qualifying for the British 32 Nats....when is that?

Interesting stuff about controllers, Pat. One of my buddies, GearBear, is testing Difalco controllers right now and says they are great. I may have to try one myself now! Your F1 wind is pretty stout!!! We've been using much softer winds per Richard Mack instructions.... Sounds like your #52 chip really softens the sensitivity then? Hmm, this Difalco sounds kind of like a CZ troller with the chips. I've heard that with that type of controller, often racers kind of settle on a "favorite chip" that seems to work for anything. Good tip on the troller.

Andrew

For those who didn't know, my daughter living near Mid America Raceway in Naperville has been expecting a child. Baby Andrew born around 6am Chicago time this morning. Smart kid, stayed inside where it's warm during one of the biggest blizzards in Chicago history, then decided to appear this morning on a clear day with the roads all plowed. My wife is still in the air as I write this, landing in about an hour, then she takes a cab to the house. I talked with Dad Mashuli (he's from Rwanda), he was beaming over the phone! It was planned as a home birth with a midwife who lives a few miles away. The midwife said things went perfectly, both baby and mom got through it just fine. It was a short labor time of only about 8 hours or so. I'll be visiting the little guy in April during the USRA Nats.
    Congrats George.

Andrew, a great Scottish name, now you have a real excuse to open that Malt!!!

The Horky motor was one I got from Vladimir at the worlds. I ran it but used the wrong setting on my controller not having had time to fully understand the set up. It has a fairly narrow power band hence the lower chip.

You have to qualify for our BSCRA 32 Nats. The UK is split into areas which hold qualifying rounds. I'm in area 1 which is Scotland. We have 3 rounds for our 32 classes F1 Eurosport and Group 12 saloon. The number of places each area gets depends on the number of BSCRA members. Last year we got 4 places so the competition is fierce.

In answer to the controller query. I know nothing about electronics. The Defalco chip numbers bare no resemblance to that on a Pro2 or 3 or kapriwa for that matter. I don't think Defalco make anything lower than a 140 which is a bit strange when you consider how hot some strap motors are these days.

George, did those carbon fiber hubs show up yet? Very interested to hear how they work out.

Thanks for all the well wishes on young Andrew. Thanks Pat for explaining the BSCRA 32 Nats to us. The last time I recall such qualifying was in 1965 in the San Francisco Bay Area for the Montgomery Ward Championship. I qualified at San Leandro Speedway and I still have my First Place plaque in my box....in fact, I use it for my lane stickers. Rocky, I haven't gotten the carbon fibre hubs yet, I'll contact Paul and try to get a date on that....should be soon though. Yeah, I am looking forward to it. I like reading about controllers...as far as I'm concerned write all you want about it. I need to check baby pictures on Facebook, then I need to get into the shop and work on my GT12s for Frank's race coming up on the 12th. Two new motors to try out. Better go now....

Got one of the 45* BOW G12 arms loaded up in one of the new Cahoza set ups. I'm not happy with the way it's running on the analyzer, it is not running smoothly, kind of oscillating in rpm. I tried rehoning the brushes thinking maybe some bad material. That didn't work. Tonight I am going to pull that set of brushes and try another pair. If still the same problem, I'll move that arm to another set up and see if it is the arm or the set up. I had run this arm through a few heat cycles, then sent out for balance. Feels nice and smooth for balance, but not maintaining constant speed. The other set up I built has a rebalanced Koford G12 and it is smooth as a babie's butt.....why did I just say that?

This morning I mounted brand new motor into my Mack Tazer prototype chassis. Everything went great until I tightened the set screw on the wheel opposite the gear. It's a motor you can't feel when it's running the balance is so good, a Cahoza 42T 16* angled spur, 8T pinion, Cahoza axle. OK, before putting the wheel on, I tried it on the analyzer and it was smooth as silk. You couldn't feel it running and nice quiet sound. Put wheel on opposite side, do not tighten set screw, now run it....same result, beautiful. Now, tighten the set screw....all of a sudden a harmonic vibration that is bad at lower rpm, smoothes out at higher rpm. Next, try resetting motor for a slightly looser gear mesh....same result. !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Next step....pulled the motor and the rear axle and switched it to Bulldog #1 which is set up for a 40T straight cut spur. Got that slapped together and it was all fine....smooth as can be. So right now, I have just finished pulling the bushings from the Tazer and put in bearings for the Nats. Will try another motor soon and see if it works smoothly. It may have been the bushings in the Tazer.

George I know you said you like the way the tazer works with motor angle I have mine set up to run falter with as little angle as possible and bearings in the rear i took a little of the preload out of the spine and I love it .now only if I could drive it as good as the car is no doubt it would be on the podium.almost made it from b main. Your vibration sounds like the bushing for sure.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Got one of the 45* BOW G12 arms loaded up in one of the new Cahoza set ups. I'm not happy with the way it's running on the analyzer, it is not running smoothly, kind of oscillating in rpm. I tried rehoning the brushes thinking maybe some bad material. That didn't work. Tonight I am going to pull that set of brushes and try another pair. If still the same problem, I'll move that arm to another set up and see if it is the arm or the set up. I had run this arm through a few heat cycles, then sent out for balance. Feels nice and smooth for balance, but not maintaining constant speed. The other set up I built has a rebalanced Koford G12 and it is smooth as a babie's butt.....why did I just say that?
    George
    I have a .540 dia BOW 12 45 degree and it ran the same way you disscribed ran it in a couple of setups and same thing sent it out for balancing and its better but not great.would like to hear your progress with it
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic, I put the same armature that was running kind of strangely into a big ol' stinkin' Kelly 4 hole set up with T5s (the nuclear option motor set up) and it was just fine. Go figure. Put a different BOW armature (2nd of 2 that I got from PSCR) into the set up that was not working with the other arm. It was just fine. Go figure again. All I can figure is, the combination of armature and set up did not work, so try a different combination until it works. This brings us back to the concept that slotcars work according to the tides, planetary alignment, location of nearest solar system, etc

For the Tazer, Richard Mack sent me the one he and his team ran in their 24 Hour Enduro last year and it is set up for 42T spur with the non adjustable pillow blocks. It was absolutely fantastic at the last race at SCR, just underpowered. It handled better than a Bulldog in the esses....almost full punch, amazing. And yes, it was the bushings. I put in bearings, and then mounted the Kelly set up mentioned above, got both wheels on it and it is smooth as glass. I'll remember the bushing issue in the future. Gotta go, time for grocery shopping.

Actually, I was going to suggest that it was the bushing, an oversized axle hole in the rim, or a badly out of balance wheel. But that would have applied to my stuff. George doesn't have any out of balance or poorly drilled wheels! :-)

George, I love this thread, thanks!!

Greg

Greg, you're welcome my friend.

Just back from SCR, testing was not to my liking, I think the 8T pinions I tried are not the right ratio. We've always used 7T pinions, but lately trying the 8T for more speed, but my motors were really lugging this afternoon. Hermanator was there too, we got together his parts for his cars....race next Saturday. I don't know why we tried such a high gear ratio before, we'd always been good with the 7T, but today it had all the bad symptoms of a too tall ratio....motor never peaked out, sounded kind of labored, handling all crazy. OK, the 7T pinions are going back on tonight and I'll have to burn up some more $3.39 gasoline for another 80 miles tomorrow to test again. On top of it all, it is way, way, way too hot out here. It was 70 degrees today, I had to roll my window down and that caused me to turn NPR up louder than I wanted to....really inconvenient this heat. The big beagle has a lot of black fur on his back, and he got really hot on the 2 mile walk this morning. I sure hope this heat wave ends soon, it is wearing me out. Gotta go.

George
    I feel for ya we in jersey have a heat wave going on to its 37 right now and climbing LOL. Have to build 4 motors today I should get started on baking mags.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Wow you guys have it tough in the States. Gas @ $3.39 a gallon? In the UK we buy fuel by the Litre and right now Diesel is 1.31 , thats around 5.90 per gallon, convert that to US$ and its $9.15 for a gallon. Just glad I drive a Diesel turbo that gives me 50MPG!

Talking about vibration, We run cahoza 42t 16deg gears here and have found a difference in mesh with different manufacturer pinions, especially 7's. Camen and ARP seem to work well with the gear, some others not as smooth. For everyday racing I'm too mean to use EDM's, so pinion choice is important to get a good, smooth mesh. Oh joy, now it's time to return to the workshop! It's 10 gerees C here and chucking it down with rain! enjoy you heat wave!
    Andy BS
    Andy B

Yesterday 24 temperature records broken in the SF Bay Area. Went to SCR and it was 83* and very nice. This test session reaffirmed one thing, my G12 motors do not like to lug with 8T pinions, they like to spin freely with the 7T pinions. Next I need to open up the airgaps and go back to what has worked before. I tried one of the new Cahoza set ups at 530, but obviously I need to go back to the usual 535 (this is for Koford 518 arms). I've had a little success in the past with the wide airgap, but I thought it was time to go back and try tighter airgaps again. It just seems to slow down the armature, and the increased torque with higher gearing only makes it handle terribly. Oh well, it is always worth the effort to reaffirm where we are currently.

Just finished 3 cahoza builds 1 12 1 sw 1 cont the 12 and sw have to come apart looks like the brand new slick 7 bearings are bad .My racer will just have to pay me for my bearings at 1/2 the cost. back to the bench
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com