Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

SR Maybe try a little harder tire with that R-18 could pick up a few tenths.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

If SR picks up a few tenths on GT-12 he will probably end up racing that in the Eurosport race instead of the high tech 18 mag .470 tall .330 wide setup with a 84.5 12 degree .300 long .480 gold dust brush 3 coil spring on the negative Super Big Foot II 5 coil spring on the positive silver plated shunts mounted in a Chicago Horky Chassis 6 tooth import pinion 45 tooth super special ultra secret spur 2mm dual exhaust fission powered space needle rocket ship-
    Jasn

Asking all things relevant-

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Phil
    Nice to see you posting again I heard you had a busy race season with your race team .Looking forward to racing again with you in the near future.
    Thanks for the welcome back, Mic. We'll be racing together in a week, looking forward to it.

Is the R18 Garden State legal? I don't see it on their body list in B-Prod or OG-12.
    Phil Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    Thanks for the welcome back, Mic. We'll be racing together in a week, looking forward to it.

Is the R18 Garden State legal? I don't see it on their body list in B-Prod or OG-12.
    No its not phil
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    No its not phil
    OK, thanks. I'll play with it at a later date, let SR find a good baseline for it!
    Phil Matthews

George
    When you cut the bodies to specific heights that measurement is made on a unmounted body right? That means that the total height would be the body height + the clearence under the chassis. Since we all know that total body height is affected by tire diameter which modestly changes the angle of the body do you account for that in your final height measurements. Thank you Fred
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    George
    When you cut the bodies to specific heights that measurement is made on a unmounted body right? That means that the total height would be the body height + the clearence under the chassis. Since we all know that total body height is affected by tire diameter which modestly changes the angle of the body do you account for that in your final height measurements. Thank you Fred
    Hi Fred, the short answer to your first question is "no". USRA techs the MOUNTED body, the rules state that the maximum spoiler height is measured with the car on the tech block with a minimum of .032" clearance under the rear axle....as you said, "body height + the clearence under the chassis". This is also how the GT12 in our NORCAL monthly series is checked although we are running high downforce bodies. The tech director checks rear spoiler height with a 1-5/8" tool to ensure it does not exceed that height.

If we were talking about another set of rules such as international ISRA, then as an example the 1/24 Eurosport bodies may not exceed 35mm spoiler height as measured on a tech block where the body sits directly on the block, so it is only body height checked in that series.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I remounted the Red Fox Cadillac last night. As you can see in the photo, you can't completely remove the diaplane and still have 1mm of front vertical. I ended up with just a little piece of diaplane on the sides. Spoiler height on this car (tech tool slides under rear axle uprights still) is now at 1.590" which I think is a lot more balanced (as Phil wrote about) with the overall angle of the body. I first cut off the diaplane and left the rear pin mounts alone and with the spoiler at 1-5/8" it looked like a real wedgie. So, I lowered it by more than 1/8" in the rear lowering the cg. Also had to scoot it forward about 1/16" for the guide to clear the front of the body....it does sit quite low!

DSCN4459 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Also, I measured the LMP bodies last night

JK BMW 6-15/16"
    JK Audi R8C 6-7/8"
    JK Mercedes CLR 6-3/4"
    Parma MG Lola 6-7/8"
    Parma Dome 6-7/8"
    RF Audi R18 7-3/8"
    RF Peugeot 7-1/2"
    RF Cadillac 7-3/8"

I suspect all these bodies could really be the same length. As you probably already know, the Red Fox bodies have that sloping rear end that allows winglet users like myself and other Speedshop trainees to have more winglet to work with. The JK and Parma bodies have mini-winglets. I think if the Red Fox winglets were reduced in length to something more like the JK and Parma, then all these bodies would be pretty much around 6-3/4" or so....certainly under 7" total length.

So if you were to draw a vertical line from the rear wing trailing edge and measure forward to the nose, the RF would "fall in line" with the others. Interesting the CLR is short, I always remember it as quite long.

I started thread in the flat track section about T-flex vs.Cheetah (link), and I would love to hear your thoughts.
    Phil Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    So if you were to draw a vertical line from the rear wing trailing edge and measure forward to the nose, the RF would "fall in line" with the others. Interesting the CLR is short, I always remember it as quite long.

I started thread in the flat track section about T-flex vs.Cheetah (link), and I would love to hear your thoughts.
    In measuring the length of those bodies, taking it from the back edge of the spoiler to the tip of the nose would be best, you're right about that. I'll check on those measurements. For sure the Mercedes is not a particularly long body.

In regards to your thread about the Champion Turboflex versus the JK Products Cheetah chassis, the main reason the Cheetah 11 and X25 center sections are far superior to the Turboflex is the open motor box. The motor is soldered in even with the bottom of the chassis versus on top of the chassis like the older flexis. Philosophically I am against the open motor box because I think it redefines what a true "production" chassis is. IMHO a real flexi should be something a kid can bolt and screw together with minimal skills. This same entry level chassis should be useable by anybody from beginner to "Pro" at the Nationals. Unfortunately, JK came out with chassis where the motor can only be soldered in. I think that goes against the whole intent of beginner's chassis.

On the level of hobbyist/racer, the JK chassis has been proven to be far superior over the past few years. In most race series across the country, you will rarely see a Champion chassis run competitively. An interesting exception was the use of the Turboflex at the 2010 ISRA Worlds in Chicago. But, at that same race in Brazil this year the JK X25 was the mandated chassis.

In our NORCAL series, we have been further refining the JK Products chassis by mixing the Cheetah 11 pans with the X25 center section, something they have also been doing for some time back east in the ISRA series. The X25 center section seems to be much faster than the older Cheetah 11 center section. It has a shorter wheelbase and it is a much better quality stamping. I think the best part is the elimination of the two bumps that the crossbar rests on. The X25 is perfectly flat and allows more tuning possibilities with materials like lexan bullet proofing to give different setting for the crossbar. We've also found the C11 .030" pans work very well and they are quite durable. However, the C11 .025" pans have been proven to be a faster set up, but much more delicate. Also, for some tracks, the stock X25 top pan seems smoother and therefore better...although heavier. There's a lot of choices.

But again, if you go to any flexi class race nowadays with a Champion Turboflex, you're going to a gunfight with a butter knife.

I think winglets should be not be legal. They are not on the real car it is link like adding air control.
    Last edited by mazur50; 12-01-2011 at 12:20 PM.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    I think winglets should be not be legal. They are not on the real car it is link like adding air control.
    Thanks for sharing that opinion with us Mike.

No problem Mr. Slotcar Racer
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Hey George will be heading down to Fresno tomorrow ,hope to see you take care
    Greg"Sandbag"Streeter p.s. we will see how them redfox Audi's will do on that awesome flat track!
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

Testing testing testing tomorrow to see what the best setup is for that track hopefully be good to go that's for sure !
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology