Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

comments withdrawn
    Last edited by Zippity; 12-07-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Last night I put the Horky 1/24 eurosport back together for possible duty on Sunday. I moved the Valiko 84.5 into Mystery set up thinking it will have a "tamer" effect. We'll see. I will pull the 84.5 after Sunday and send to Camen Geezer with other arms for recon. I suspect 84.5 may need his help.

When I got done with the Horky, I pulled apart the Mack Open 12 chassis (not on using it again as the Bulldog 3 is so darned good) to use some of the parts for the eurosport chassis. I'm mostly interested in those front hinges which are like the Bulldog 3, the "side sliders". Then I pulled the eurosport all apart, the one that ran 3.2s last sunday at Frank's. It was time for an overhaul. Last night I got the side sliders installed and also installed front weights. I do not plan to tie the front pans together, I'm gonna leave them to move around independently something like the Horky does. I'm figuring the added front weight and the increased front pan movement may help the chassis be more forgiving but still have the good speed I got.

We also run GT12s this Sunday with the LMP bodies. I will probably change around bodies during the race as it is only a practice session...but maybe three different choices at best.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Bugboy209 View Post
    So no more norcal races for you til then George?!?!?!
    Yeah Greg, I'm taking the two Vallejo races as throw outs, that was my plan for this year. Funny thing is, many racers throw out the Fresno race (e.g., Berteinstein, Vegas, Don Raeburn, etc) because it is too FAR. I am throwoing out the Vallejo race and it is the closest raceway to my house. That's OK, there are so many other really great facilities in NORCAL today, we are all very fortunate. I really like your home track about the best, just love going there and seeing Roy and Anne. Good people, good vibe, good tracks, and Subway is not too far away. What else could you ever need?

I'm glad they have my root beer in the fridge,and for me eddies will be a good time I'm just goin to race on the king their cause running all 4 is very tiring lol Greg
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

Hey ...... get a fresh breath of air. Gus in Sacto
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 12-06-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: No food fights here please....

The purpose of this thread is to promote the positive thinking required to make a slotcar go fast, so let's keep it positive.

Just putting final touches on Mack bull dog 3 for raffle this weekend at the Garden state Isra Club ( Winter flat Track Spectacular) Will try to get picture up later It is looking very sweet . Should make someone very happy
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

It seems like a long time since I have driven a eurosport (I missed the last two club meetings) - I am curious about 2mm vs. 2.37mm (3/32) axles on the 1/24 eurosport cars- Has everyone come to a conclusion about the good and bad of the two sizes? I am bringing up a dead subject and have I just fallen behind with the "antique" 3/32 axle? How about the 1/32 cars?
    Enquiring minds want to know!

Bert

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    The purpose of this thread is to promote the positive thinking required to make a slotcar go fast, so let's keep it positive.
    I second this motion George!!!
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

zx
    Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    It seems like a long time since I have driven a eurosport (I missed the last two club meetings) - I am curious about 2mm vs. 2.37mm (3/32) axles on the 1/24 eurosport cars- Has everyone come to a conclusion about the good and bad of the two sizes? I am bringing up a dead subject and have I just fallen behind with the "antique" 3/32 axle? How about the 1/32 cars?

Bert
    Bert,

IMHO the 2mm axle does the following.

It allows you to put the motor into a more sidewinder position. This is important because it means you can change the rear axle faster for gear changes. It also means you get a better, stronger gear mesh, so your gears can last longer.

The "slight" disadvantage is that the axle isn't as strong so it MIGHT break easier. I have only broken one in nearly 3 years.
    Gary Johnson

Over the past two evenings I have disassembled and rebuilt my 2010 Nats winning Mack Eurosport chassis. The job was long overdue for this chassis that turned the fastest lap times I have seen in a long time at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif., site of the December 11, 2011 Norcal Eurosport Club meeting. I had a copy of the latest Mack Open 12 chassis which had no immediate plans, so I disassembled it for spare parts, many of which fit the eurosport chassis.

Started out by replacing the front hinge holder with the Open 12 piece, same feature as the Bulldog 3, the oblong hole giving the sideways sliding effect....

DSCN4461 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

I had also tried cutting off the up stops for the tips of the rear crossbar on the old chassis, but this was a mistake, it really didn't work. So I had made some Mickey Mouse (no relation to Mic Byrd) piano wire pieces to act as an upstop....it worked, but ugly. So, the Open 12 upstops work and so purty to look at....

DSCN4462 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

And the finished product complete with front weights. I'll try it with the weights as in theory it should make it a bit more forgiving. As I reported about a week ago, my test at SCR proved that this chassis is still blazing fast on the Testarossa, but the only downside is when you drive it at the top most limit, it tends to suddenly unload and cartwheel across the infield like the propeller blade of a 120' tall wind generator in catastrophic failure mode.

DSCN4460 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post

Bert
    Good question EinieSteinie. Over the past year or so, I have gone the way of the Horky crowd using 3/32" axles for 1/24 eurosport. I tried the 2mm axle on the Horky, then went to 3/32" and thought it felt better. I have heard in various eurosport circles that the problem with the 2mm axle is "too much flex". You know the way when one top racer starts saying something, it sometimes creates a stigma, or sometimes even creates astigmatism (that's in the worst cases...it goes to your vision) about something. I noticed that when tightening the set screws on my 2mm hubs, the axle did flex A LOT, so I thought maybe there was something to it. So, with my Horky and Castricone chassis I went to 2.37mm axles AKA the 3/32" axle. Of course, there are some who swear by the 2mm axle for everything and they could be going by the same blind faith as the 3/32" axle guys. Everybody comes up with good rationales for their preferences.

As I had reported in an earlier post, national champion racer Herman Alandas James of Fairfield, Calif, site of the Jelly Belly factory, made one of the best suggestions I have heard in a long time. "Return to the future". Herman (AKA The Hermanator) suggested trying the Mack Eurosport chassis again, the 2mm rear axle, and Camen single mag small block with a mild-ish Valiko arm. I did as the Hermanator suggested using a Valiko 22t24.5 and turned my fastest lap times a few Sundays ago. We have been scratching our respective heads wondering why the heck we can't get 2.9s any more on the Testarossa, and it was the Mack set up that turned consistent 2.9s. All the fancy antsy equipment, multi mags, hot winds, Horky and Castricone chassis just haven't shown a dramatic improvement in performance. It's true that over the past two years the track conditions may have deteriorated and we have merely been chasing after faster times....but I think the return to the Mack proved something.

So Bert, your question is for sure current and pertinent, it's worth exploring further. As for ES32, I never left the 2mm axle set up. Looking at the axle flex concept, the ES32 is much shorter and therefore much less flex....if flex is truly an issue. Frankly, I'd just think continued testing and trying different things is the way to go. I don't want to become dogmatic or ultra orthodox religious about any particular slotcar set up....the testing and experimenting is the fun part. Once you become wed to an idea, you've closed the door to trying new things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Just putting final touches on Mack bull dog 3 for raffle this weekend at the Garden state Isra Club ( Winter flat Track Spectacular) Will try to get picture up later It is looking very sweet . Should make someone very happy
    Mic Byrd, post a little something about the raffle, what is the benefit of the raffle, what is the prize and when will it be? Will there be a live webcast as there was for the eurosport raffle?

Paolo Trigillio used 2mm rear axles in both his ES cars at the Worlds. I thought Horky stopped using 2mm axles when he bent one in a World Champs final and it stopped him winning. That they're easier to bend in a crash seems more of a problem to me than any flex effecting handling.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Mic Byrd, post a little something about the raffle, what is the benefit of the raffle, what is the prize and when will it be? Will there be a live webcast as there was for the eurosport raffle?
    SR
    Its just a local Raffle proceeds go to club for overhead .You have to race to get in on the raffle. No webcast or anything like that we don't have an internet connection at the club maybe in the future right know we're just trying to keep doors open.We are hosting the Christmas Flat track Spectacular this weekend should be a good turn out .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com