Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    This is important because it means you can change the rear axle faster for gear changes. It also means you get a better, stronger gear mesh, so your gears can last longer.
    I think that the fast gear change is a very nice thing to be able to take advantage of. The stronger mesh is probably good too.

Speaking of (or is it typing of?) "quick changes" I wonder what the best method is for changing tyres "under the green"- I have heard of people removing the non gear side tyre and pulling the entire assembly (tyre, axle gear) and re-installing a complete new rear end- Is this the accepted and approved method? or is it faster to just pull each tyre and replace one at a time. I have only changed tyres "under the red" and know that I have plenty of time to do that... BUT under the green (as Slotcar Racer peals off lap after lap of 2.9's) every second will count. Or do I just race XXXH Koford tyres and run the whole race with one set-

Bert
    Last edited by Berteinstein; 12-07-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: I am not going to say-

If I have to change tires during a race, I will remove the non gear side tire and replace the whole assembly. Since the Speedshop tires I use have built in spacers on the hubs, I can cut the spacers to the correct width. This makes the axle swap a few second process (If your hands aren't shaking too bad and you have good vision ).

In the past 3 years, I have broken 2 Eurosport axles. One, a 2mm and the other a 3/32 axle. I've never actually bent one. The flex that George is talking about is a possibility when putting tires on, but I don't believe that it really occurs during a race. The cars are just too light to have the slight amount of deflection in the axle make any difference IMHO.
    Gary Johnson

Last night glued up 11 pairs of 2mm tires for the Mack eurosport. Also, put finishing touches on the Mack including mounting the motor. I guess that's more than a finishing touch. I probably need to mount a new body on it too, this one will be in the pushed forward position. Another reason we may have found the Mack became a little unforgiving in the past year or so is continuing to mount the body too far back. Mounting the body as far back as possible so the front of the body is almost tangled up in the front of the guide is a good thing much of the time. However, one way to inhibit too much bite is to slide the body forward. The Italians mount their bodies this way, the Audi R10 so far forward that the rear tires are just barely covered by the body when viewed from above. Yeah, I better mount another body on the Mack and try it that way.

Changing tires during a race is super easy with 1/32 and 1/24 Eurosport. As BearGear noted, just pull the whole axle out and replace with a new "rear end set". If doing this with a 3/32" axle, one thing I learned at the Worlds is to glue an aluminum spacer to the non-gear hub using Super Glue. When going to a big race, I just make up a rear end replacement set for each car so it'll be ready to go. The only time I ran out of tire was at the Chicago Worlds and it was only 3 minute heats!!!! I couldn't believe it. I usually manage my tires to go 5 minute heats and no change. Generally to do this I start with .047" clearance (piece of .047" piano wire is a really easy gauge for this measurement). This year at the Nats, the no change strategy may not be the way to go. Might be better to start at .032" and go like hell, then change tires. We'll see.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Most uk racers mount their 24es shells forward including the master Richard Mack himself

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    Most uk racers mount their 24es shells forward including the master Richard Mack himself
    Does that mean with the back axle almost poking out the rear, or the guide flag as far up to the nose as possible???
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Does that mean with the back axle almost poking out the rear, or the guide flag as far up to the nose as possible???
    Zipp, I am going to mount a new body on the Mack tonight, I'll take photos to show how I do it....the picture is worth 1,000 words....

With the forward mount- is there an amount of "chassis" that can be exposed? I guess I would just need to read the USRA rule book, but my understanding was that the axle or chassis or 28.76% of the tyre could not be seen when viewed from above? I know that there is a vertical line on the side of the body... is that line used in conjunction with a "square" to tech the body placement on the chassis so that the rear tyre is not visible from above?

Thanks George

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    With the forward mount- is there an amount of "chassis" that can be exposed? I guess I would just need to read the USRA rule book, but my understanding was that the axle or chassis or 28.76% of the tyre could not be seen when viewed from above? I know that there is a vertical line on the side of the body... is that line used in conjunction with a "square" to tech the body placement on the chassis so that the rear tyre is not visible from above?
    Bert, your description is pretty good, I'll take a photo and post it...I use a small square. The rules are actually the ISRA International rules, the ones we use for the World Championship. 100% of the rear tyres (tires) have to be covered by the body as they are considered part of the chassis, so as long as when you sight straight down over the spoiler and see no tires (tyres), you're OK. I just use a square butted up against the tyres* and move the body back until the spoiler also touches the square...this ensures the edge of the spoiler is directly over the back edge of the tire, I mean tyre. All this thinking has made me feel very tyred.

*AKA "tires"

I like it when you guys try to talk (write) propper

First the driver pulled the car into the pit area and the crew pushed it into the garage...

DSCN4464 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Next, the crew pulls out the 90 degree metal angle thingy (this is a high tech item used only for slotcar purposes) and makes sure the top edge of the spoiler lines up perfectly with the rear edge of the tires....pans in far forward position of course

DSCN4463 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

And we check the front of the car noting position of guide to front of body....actually, the new pin positions are only 1mm different from the original...

DSCN4466 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

And finally, the car is ready to go back out on to the raceway

DSCN4465 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

OK, it's time to work on the Castricone ES24 next....usual routine, pull into the garage....

DSCN4467 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Remove the bodywork...

DSCN4468 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Take away all the "running gear"....amazing how it comes down to so few parts...

DSCN4469 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Now time to poke and prod a little....hmmm, if I push down here, let's see what happens....looks like the pan on the opposite side lifts a bit....

DSCN4470 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Uh oh, when I push down on the other side, I get a whole different reaction...

DSCN4472 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Better take things apart now....to do this, remove the pan stop from the inside of the pan....

DSCN4479 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Piero told me that he disassembles his chassis like this after each and every run. Good thing it is easy to take apart, just the two inside stops and you now have separate pieces

DSCN4478 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

The center section is nice and flat on the block, but uh oh, the rail closer to the camera (yeah, I know, out of focus) has a tiny gap under it.....I can tap it down and get a little click....the other side is OK

DSCN4476 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Then I email Piero and ask him about these tripod rails....should they be floating in the middle, because these are loading against the inside edge....

DSCN4477 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Piero says they should be centered. So, time to remove the end stops so I can rebend the rails making them centered...

DSCN4480 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

So, I just got off Skype with Piero and we looked at my chassis together. I have some work to do in flattening the pans, they are really out of wack. I'm confident that once everything is flat and the way it should be, the chassis will be good as new. Piero stressed that his chassis is designed to be taken apart easily so it can be checked often. 1/24 eurosport chassis are not the most durable, so the disassembly is necessary. Better get to the shop and start unbending metal....
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 12-10-2011 at 03:12 PM.

It was an unbelievably challenging day yesterday. Straightening out my Castricone 1/24 eurosport chassis was not very challenging at all, very straightforward. The hard thing was computers. Anybody who knows anything about Mac computers (not Mack eurosports....well, maybe both) knows that after 2005 Apple started using Intel processors. Before then, it is called the Power PC G4, and if you go to an Apple store for help with the G4, they almost laugh you out the door and say you are using a "vintage Mac". Weird thing is, we've been using it successfully since 2005 without a single problem. Hooks up to the Motorola SBV5220 modem and works great. From the time we got the G4 until present no issues....not until we wanted to update Quicken and found that we couldn't. Anyway, long computer story short, yesterday Piero sent me a video with him working on the 1/24 chassis via Dropbox.com. On the G4 I clicked on the link and nothing happened. I worked on this all day and finally took our new Intel processor Macbook Air to Starbucks because I could not get it to work on the hard wired cable. I have to use the hard wired modem because wife is still resisting the wireless router even though I have told her the three cordless phones in the house that she uses constantly run on the same frequency. Now you can see the battles are mounting quickly. Went to Starbucks and found that Piero had posted the video on his Facebook page (take a look, it's quite good and pretty funny when his girlfriend calls in the middle). I clicked on it and sure enough, there he was with his massive soldering iron....but I didn't want to turn up the sound because there was a Mexican lady next to me working on her Macbook Air, drinking coffee, and there was sickening Christmas music playing in the store. Took the laptop home and decided it was time to do battle with COMCAST, figure out how to use the Macbook with the ethernet connection. Called them and they signed me up for a service "subscription" for $39.99 one time charge and $5.95 per month...then they transferred me to some clown who really didn't know what he was doing. I was on the phone with Bozo for at least 30 minutes and I did get enough information from him to figure out how to solve the problem....however, because Bozo pretended that we lost connection with my cell phone (yeah, the call was all of a sudden dropped, just when things were looking hopeless for BOZO) I immediately called COMCAST back and cancelled the service "subscription". I thanked the lady and she said, of course, "no problem". I wish that was the case. Anyway, now I know how to use the cable modem and ethernet connection with the new computer, and finally, yes finally I was able to watch the Piero Tutorial last night and learned a lot of good stuff. Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Called them and they signed me up for a service "subscription" for $39.99 one time charge and $5.95 per month...then they transferred me to some clown who really didn't know what he was doing. I was on the phone with Bozo for at least 30 minutes and I did get enough information from him to figure out how to solve the problem....however, because Bozo pretended that we lost connection with my cell phone (yeah, the call was all of a sudden dropped, just when things were looking hopeless for BOZO) I immediately called COMCAST back and cancelled the service "subscription". I thanked the lady and she said, of course, "no problem".
    I've seen this clown show before!
    that's a wrap!

Vegas sadly we have all seen the show before...

SR the new MacBook also works on the 802N 5 Ghz frequence and you won't pickup any interference from your cordless phones...
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill