Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff714 View Post
    Vegas sadly we have all seen the show before...

SR the new MacBook also works on the 802N 5 Ghz frequence and you won't pickup any interference from your cordless phones...
    Jeff, my wife thinks the radio waves from wifi will make her sick. I've tried to explain we are surrounded by wifi almost all the time....I open my Safari brower on my iPhone and show it to her when we get a list of three neighbors wifi. And, we have three cordless phones in the house. Unfortunately, it is more an issue between wife and I. Hermanator was over at the house yesterday and he pointed out that we can use the wireless router with the ethernet connections to the different computers, and there is a wireless on/off switch. Showed that to wife and she still seemed skeptical. OK, on to slotcars....
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Thanks to Frank Sarkela for having the monthly NORCAL Eurosport Club races. It has been very helpful for us to get on the Testarossa and race very fast slotcars. Both races went well for Slotcar Racer yesterday, even though I stupidly left my Budgie (the Bob Budge copy of the Czech Pro 2 controller) at home....but I had my Dr. Verdo Speedshop in the box as back up. I believe I am faster with Budgie, suits my style better.

I was pleased with the GT12 result in particular as it is a reward for a lot of hard work on the C Can motor program, and the great Bulldog 3 chassis. I went with the JK Products BMW after trying a few of the other bodies when we got to the track. Honestly, they are all pretty good, but the BMW stood out just a little from the others. I also tried the Audi R8C and the Audi R18....they were also both very good. Anyway, I didn't have fastest time of the race, but I did run a 3.89 whereas fast time was 3.83, not much difference except I turned the most laps. Not a whole lot of difference between these bodies and HD bodies. The LMPs drive really nicely. I ran the usual Bulldog 3, Cahoza set up at .560" and Pro Slot .540" arm.

Eurosport was a bit frustrating as Gawronski is the one of the fastest drivers in the World....that is frustrating enough, but he has very deep resources for motors and ran a PK 17t24.5....not sure what the set up was. But, he ran 3.0s during practice on purple which are times I have not personally seen in a long time. I practiced on red and was at 3.60s with all three cars. During the race it made sense that "G's" best time was 3.17. My best time seemed about the same for all the lanes as my motor just didn't compare to "G's". I ran a typical Camen small block single mag with a Valiko 22t24.5. I guess I went to a bazooka fight with a Springfield rifle. My best time was 3.40 on purple...but wait, I ran 3.4 on orange, 3.4 on Black, and even a 3.60 on red.....very strange how when you have a car that is almost full punch in the turns the fast lap times are pretty level. Keep in mind the Testarossa lanes are 2 feet shorter PER LANE as you go from red to black. Black is a full 16' shorter than red. Lap times of 3.4 on black and 3.6 on red is a bit unusual. I ran the 2009 Mack which I recently rebuilt with the 2011 Open 12 parts such as the sliding front hinges. The thing is on rails. "G" ran a 2011 Mack, he says it is the best when the Testarossa doesn't have much rubber....a lot of bite in that chassis. He also said that with a lot of rubber, other designs are better. Anyway, I now need to redouble my efforts in eurosport motors. It's a long road....

I open my Safari brower on my iPhone and show it to her when we get a list of three neighbors wifi.
    ...ummmm make friends with your neighbors and "borrow" their wifi-

Home from work today, I was pretty sick yesterday and working only made it worse today....plus with five weeks saved up of sick time why not? So, time to get some real work done today. We'll start with pulling apart the Mack from Sunday...

Untitled by svtgeorge, on Flickr

This is a new procedure I just learned from Piero, after you run a eurosport, you disassemble it completely and check it and clean it. Put it back together and when you get to the track put in the motor, the guide and leadwire and the body. It isn't hard...

OK, now on to the next project....I wonder what that will be....oh yeah, balance the check book...

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    ..........yesterday Piero sent me a video with him working on the 1/24 chassis via Dropbox.com. .
    Goerge, have you got a working link for this video, please?
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Just in from the office of Berteinstein in Reno, Nevada, site of numerous slot machines, coin filled or motorized....

Donuts in progress...

mmmmdonuts by svtgeorge, on Flickr

And, as Berteinstein says, time for the fun to begin....

funpart by svtgeorge, on Flickr

and then when the "fun" is over, time to store them away with what appears to be lots of wonderful goodies....

storage by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Keeping the public informed on all slot matters....Slotcar Racer

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Goerge, have you got a working link for this video, please?
    Sorry Zip, this was only a fleeting glimpse....we did most of our work together by Skype in real time.

That's a nice tire truer.
    Did you make it or buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by dante View Post
    That's a nice tire truer.
    Did you make it or buy it?
    Yeah, that is nice, pretty much same as a Hudy design. Hey Bert, is that an old Wright Way tire truer, or what is it? That sure is a lot of hones too!

Wright way truer- and various hones from .490-.560. I wish I had the talent to make such a piece of machinery!
    Bert

Now I'm after "work" on Thursday without reporting last night's activity. This will be short...took apart Baby Piero, cleaned up the chassis, and when I get home tonight, time to put together a new power plant for it. Report tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Just in from the office of Berteinstein in Reno, Nevada, site of numerous slot machines, coin filled or motorized....

Donuts in progress...

mmmmdonuts by svtgeorge, on Flickr

And, as Berteinstein says, time for the fun to begin....

funpart by svtgeorge, on Flickr

and then when the "fun" is over, time to store them away with what appears to be lots of wonderful goodies....

storage by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Keeping the public informed on all slot matters....Slotcar Racer
    Gee Bert, That setup is so clean that at first I thought it was a medical clinic!
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

A clean work shop = A happier wife = A happier wife = A happier life!
    It's not like I am solving for "E" or anything-

Bert

Back to Slotcar Racer's Not-So-Medical Clinic....pulled apart a Horky chassis last night, it only needed to go this far...

DSCN4491 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

And this is the hard part about working with Horkys....the parts are tiny and delicate. They are hard to remove because they are held in at two points each, so you have to get it good and hot without toasting it and pull the little guys straight up...

DSCN4490 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

I was lucky with this one, the center section did not need further disassembly....if so, you have to take the spine out and then take out the piece in the middle of the rear tripod....another delicate double soldered piece, actually this one is a bear to get out. But anyway, this center section was a bit tweaked in the motor box on the side where the motor tab is soldered to the chassis. Kind of tweaked upward and was not hard to crunch it back down with a swift chiropractic adjustment (dohhhhhh!)

So with the center section flattened, I found only one of the pans to be tweaked, the left side bent up a bit right at the front pin tube....fairly typical weak point for this chassis, easy to flatten. Once everything is flattened comes the tedious task of cleaning all the parts. Have to remove ALL the old solder from the dinky parts and even harder from the rectangle holes...

and so this is where I left it last night, parts cleaned on one pan and inserted for a test fit. I'll continue with this tonight....

George,

What is your method for removing the solder? I've never had much luck with doing that.
    Gary Johnson