Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Wallbasher View Post
    Sounds like a checklist before leaving is in order.
    Tools check
    Box check
    Tires check
    Controller check
    Chassis check
    Motors check
    Body's check
    Light check
    Magnifiers check
    Wallet check
    Darn it Wallbasher, you did have to bring up the tools check, I left a few of those things at home last week too. I also left my three small parts boxes at home last week at the NORCAL Eurosport Club meeting race. I'm a mess during the holidays. Tire check went OK, I keep them in the big plastic rubbermaid tub. Motors check is easy, I don't have any extras, they are all in cars. Body's check, no, not really, have to go to the beach in Brazil for that one. Light check....Frank has good lighting, so I leave that at home until I go to the track in Rocklin which is like working in the closet. Magnifiers, no thanks, those mess up my neck. Wallet check...that's too complicated and depressing with all the credit card receipts filed away in it. OK, OK, OK, I will print this one out too along with Pat's.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

OK, as long as I have my "brain trust" at work here, this is the photo I snapped yesterday after driving 56 miles for nothing....

buriedbudgie by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Budgie is in the cardboard box on the bottom on the left side of this mess. It's sort of hidden. But now cardboard box is in the car. I have a drawer in my slot box for a controller, but it's a little too cramped for Budgie, plus there is the plastic box of chips.

Yes, that's the body Richard Mack ran in 32 Saloon last year (or maybe the year before?), I have it mounted on the Mack 32 Saloon chassis I built in October. Those are my two F1 Eurosports in the same parking lot...

SCR thanks for not asking how I came up with the list.........
    Why do I do this to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallbasher View Post
    SCR thanks for not asking how I came up with the list.........
    What list were you referring to???

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Finally got to try the Horky with the FET brakes and it was fine now. Dropped it down to 3.13 on yellow on tall tires. This is the Mystery set up with the Valiko 18t24.5 arm....this thing really moves. On the other hand, the Piero with a lowly 23t25 Gulliver also turned 3.20 flat....not that much slower, seven one hundredths....so, go figure. It just doesn't seem like radically hotter motors really make a whole lot of difference.
    SCR,

How would you describe the driving "feel" of the Horky vs the Piero? They seem to be taking slightly different routes with their development, with Horky pushing the weight aft and center, with Piero also aft but more outside (in between Horky and the old-school "static weight" behind the pans). Is the Horky faster but a little more on "edge" to do those times or does it just give you the confidence to push it?

One comment I have heard often of the Horky's is that they reward a more "passive" driving style. A style that you roll the car in and get back quickly but very smoothly on the power. As opposed to a stuff it in deep and whack open the throttle to get it to turn style.

Also if you hold the front skids in between the thumb and finger of one hand and the axle between the thumb and finger of the other hand, how do they compare in left-right twist and fore-aft stiffness? I've only got a chance to play with Mack's and Saunders' and have been told that the Horky is quite "soft" in comparison.

Cheers.
    Phil Matthews

OK, as long as I have my "brain trust" at work here, this is the photo I snapped yesterday after driving 56 miles for nothing....

buriedbudgie by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Budgie is in the cardboard box on the bottom on the left side of this mess. It's sort of hidden. But now cardboard box is in the car. I have a drawer in my slot box for a controller, but it's a little too cramped for Budgie, plus there is the plastic box of chips.

Yes, that's the body Richard Mack ran in 32 Saloon last year (or maybe the year before?), I have it mounted on the Mack 32 Saloon chassis I built in October. Those are my two F1 Eurosports in the same parking lot...
    Hey George, can you tell me what that saloon body is & who makes it?

Quote Originally Posted by jenson46 View Post
    Hey George, can you tell me what that saloon body is & who makes it?
    I sure wish I knew. Richard Mack sent me that body, he ran it at the 32 Nats either last year or the year before. I thought I'd get a new one and paint it myself, so ordered from Dave Harvey....just asked him to send me the little Dodge body. Obviously it is some kind of Dodge charger. The clear one I got is a bit different from Richard's body, looks like more spoiler and other details are different. You might email Dave to ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    SCR,

How would you describe the driving "feel" of the Horky vs the Piero? They seem to be taking slightly different routes with their development, with Horky pushing the weight aft and center, with Piero also aft but more outside (in between Horky and the old-school "static weight" behind the pans). Is the Horky faster but a little more on "edge" to do those times or does it just give you the confidence to push it?

One comment I have heard often of the Horky's is that they reward a more "passive" driving style. A style that you roll the car in and get back quickly but very smoothly on the power. As opposed to a stuff it in deep and whack open the throttle to get it to turn style.

Also if you hold the front skids in between the thumb and finger of one hand and the axle between the thumb and finger of the other hand, how do they compare in left-right twist and fore-aft stiffness? I've only got a chance to play with Mack's and Saunders' and have been told that the Horky is quite "soft" in comparison.

Cheers.
    Hi Phil, I'll first answer your last question about the torsion of the chassis. The P and the H are both quite flexible, and the Mack is more stiff. Mack is fantastic on a greener track, but I haven't figured out what to do if the track rubbers up a lot...seems like it gets super tight and does wilder and wilder acrobatic moves unexpectedly. Both Paul and I ran Macks last weekend in the race and they worked great. For more rubbered up situations I seem to be going to the H or the P. They become more forgiving in the tight rubbery conditions.

As for your first paragraph, I think it relates more to my anecdotal testing of these cars, and occasional racing them under different conditions. I remember at last year's Nats, they cleaned the track as usual in the morning erasing any test results from the night before. So, of course, the track was quite loose. I wasn't thinking and went for my Horky chassis. Paul won with the Mack as it works best on a green track. The Horky almost gets too loose on a green track....might be designed more for ISRA Worlds where the track is pretty rubbery by the time you reach qualifying (all those practice sessions). Same for Piero's chassis. A few days ago when I tested at Frank's, the Horky could be pushed really hard and I did not feel like it was about to self destruct, so I felt confident with it. That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Hi Phil, I'll first answer your last question about the torsion of the chassis. The P and the H are both quite flexible, and the Mack is more stiff. Mack is fantastic on a greener track, but I haven't figured out what to do if the track rubbers up a lot...seems like it gets super tight and does wilder and wilder acrobatic moves unexpectedly. Both Paul and I ran Macks last weekend in the race and they worked great. For more rubbered up situations I seem to be going to the H or the P. They become more forgiving in the tight rubbery conditions.

As for your first paragraph, I think it relates more to my anecdotal testing of these cars, and occasional racing them under different conditions. I remember at last year's Nats, they cleaned the track as usual in the morning erasing any test results from the night before. So, of course, the track was quite loose. I wasn't thinking and went for my Horky chassis. Paul won with the Mack as it works best on a green track. The Horky almost gets too loose on a green track....might be designed more for ISRA Worlds where the track is pretty rubbery by the time you reach qualifying (all those practice sessions). Same for Piero's chassis. A few days ago when I tested at Frank's, the Horky could be pushed really hard and I did not feel like it was about to self destruct, so I felt confident with it. That's about all I can think of at the moment.
    I ran the Mack at the Nats for the same reason Paul did. When I put my Horky on the track in the morning it was so loose I could barely drive it. The Mack was great. Unfortunately I didn't swap motors between the two. Unfortunately, I had not really tested the Mack a whole lot and the hot arm I ran combined with the guide height not quite right, I kept frying braid. My car would burn braid about every 45 seconds! When the braid was good the car was ballistic, but it quickly became erratic and very hard to handle.

Last weekend I think the Mack would have been better than the Horky on our track as my Horky was really loose with the tires I had to run. I had to baby the car the whole race. Unfortunately right now I only have one usable motor for my 1/24 Euro's so the Mack's were home in the box with no motors in them.
    Gary Johnson

The body shell in question is the Cat Dodge Charger. A great shell. The one in the photo is the original version without a wing. Richard seems to prefer this to the new wing version. Richard had some input into the design of the shell. Along with the Cat Peugeot 307 it is the body shell of choice for 32 saloon as run at the BSCRA Nats.

This is an image of the Cat Dodge with wing in 32 scale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0021Copy..jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	10067  

Cool paint job Pat! Thanks for the info, we just don't get a chance to run those cool 1/32 scale cars like you do in the UK. We need more four and six lane club tracks over here.

That reminds me of a SuperBird but with a different wing

Neat body!
    Gary Johnson

Yup that is the one George! Or more specifically, the blue one on the left since I said Superbird.
    Gary Johnson