Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Guys
    Thought you might like this. In the 70s the BSCRA 32 saloon class didn't have a wheelbase restriction rule and as a result nascar shells were vary popular as the long wheelbase chassis made for them handled better. This is the original Cat shell on which the other 2 were modelled. This one was built by an old friend of mine who I am sorry to say is no longer with us. His name was Lawrie Paul. Note the incredible detail and the added scale wing. To this day I don't think there has been a more beautiful nascar car. Hey this is turning into a retro thread!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l paul daytona..jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	10076  

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    Hey this is turning into a retro thread!!!!!
    Pat, you have no idea what kind of problems that would cause!!! This one is a beautiful car, I have to admit although I am a Slot Car Racer, not a Model Car Racer. As much as I can, I adhere to the premise that we are racing 1:1 scale slot racing cars, not models of cars that run on tracks. Slot Car Racer Bylaw 1A.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Send that stuff over to RetroBlog.net LOL

What a beautiful old 'Bird!

Hey SR, you going to get some slot work done tomorrow? I get tomorrow off, YEAH, so I'm thinking of heading down to the track and checking out my new RETRO car that Tom Hanson has been building.

I'm hoping to get some building time tonight. I have a Retro Can-Am chassis sitting on the jig just waiting to be soldered together. I'm trying to decide if I should tie the pans together (ala TFlex) or run separate rattle pans (ala C11). Right now I'm leaning towards separate rattle pans.

I also need to take my GT12 car and change the gearing to see if I can get it correct. I was set too low last weekend.
    Gary Johnson

Ahh yes... different strokes for different folks... LOL

I started racing scale cars with Tri-State ISRA this year, and I enjoy it...

But the hard, cold facts are that the Penn-Ohio Retro Series draws two to three times more racers than ISRA does... The numbers tell the tale regarding populaity.

Same goes for racing 'model cars'... I raced wing cars for a short period of time. Yeah, the speed was a rush for awhile, but I hated the ugly door stops with a passion.

Comes under the catagory of whatever floats your boat, as long as you are having fun...

LM

SR
    Got a chance to do some work on a Richard Mack built dog 3 new out of the pack let me tell you what a fine job of building Richard does you can barely see any solder what an artist he is . He builds his with a bit more steering then I do .jigged some axle bearings for my buddy and will see how it run will let you know.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    Got a chance to do some work on a Richard Mack built dog 3 new out of the pack let me tell you what a fine job of building Richard does you can barely see any solder what an artist he is . He builds his with a bit more steering then I do .jigged some axle bearings for my buddy and will see how it run will let you know.
    That's great you got a real Richard Bulldog 3, being a professional jeweler by trade it's no wonder his work is so clean. He taught me how to do the clean solder joints, you put a tiny amount of acid flux on the joint above ground, then put some in the rectangle hole where the part fits in, then flow the solder in from the bottom, it gets sucked right up through the chassis to the areas above ground, comes out great every time. Yeah, looking forward to your report. What gear are you jigging to? Motor info? Audi 10,right?

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    What a beautiful old 'Bird!

Hey SR, you going to get some slot work done tomorrow? I get tomorrow off, YEAH, so I'm thinking of heading down to the track and checking out my new RETRO car that Tom Hanson has been building.

I'm hoping to get some building time tonight. I have a Retro Can-Am chassis sitting on the jig just waiting to be soldered together. I'm trying to decide if I should tie the pans together (ala TFlex) or run separate rattle pans (ala C11). Right now I'm leaning towards separate rattle pans.

I also need to take my GT12 car and change the gearing to see if I can get it correct. I was set too low last weekend.
    Gary, I picked up Grandson last night at SFO, he brought his parents with him. Grandson is 10 months old now and crawling around almost as fast as a Falcon LMP. The big beagle is putting up with him pretty well but the little beagle ran out the dog door to the back yard for much of last night.

This morning I put some finishing touches on my Nats GTP, the Starfighter body mount came out real fine. I put it on the three piece X25 with .025" pans. Haven't pulled the NORCAL Super Wasp yet, might just race it this way next Thursday at SCR. On the other hand, the S16C is built complete with shunts and all. Got the arm back from Camen, you can't feel the thing when it is running he does such an awesome job. I'm trying the Koford radial mags that are .500" long....just lightly glued in with K glue. I'll try that and if it seems to be a good motor, I'll make the magnets permanent with S glue.

Tonight I have a customer order to work on, rebuild a Cheetah 11 NORCAL LMP. Cars that have been through more than one NORCAL race truly need attention!

Quote Originally Posted by larrymatt View Post
    Ahh yes... different strokes for different folks... LOL

I started racing scale cars with Tri-State ISRA this year, and I enjoy it...

But the hard, cold facts are that the Penn-Ohio Retro Series draws two to three times more racers than ISRA does... The numbers tell the tale regarding populaity.

Same goes for racing 'model cars'... I raced wing cars for a short period of time. Yeah, the speed was a rush for awhile, but I hated the ugly door stops with a passion.

Comes under the catagory of whatever floats your boat, as long as you are having fun...

LM
    Couldn't agree with ya more Larry. Sounds like you're really enjoying the series. You know, when I got back into racing a few years after closing my raceway, the first thing I did was a series called VMRA. We procured actually vintage parts from ebay, restored them and then raced the cars. Those American Line chassis with the Bobcat 36Ds were the best class, really even racing. Bowling balls. I miss that stuff, those were true 60s cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    That's great you got a real Richard Bulldog 3, being a professional jeweler by trade it's no wonder his work is so clean. He taught me how to do the clean solder joints, you put a tiny amount of acid flux on the joint above ground, then put some in the rectangle hole where the part fits in, then flow the solder in from the bottom, it gets sucked right up through the chassis to the areas above ground, comes out great every time. Yeah, looking forward to your report. What gear are you jigging to? Motor info? Audi 10,right?
    Set it up for 7/43 r-10 body .I'm building 1for myself going to go with 7/40 and also going to try the Mack method of soldering. Tried to get my guys to run our g-10 body's on our 12 cars in a couple of weeks but was out voted they said cars where to fast and couldn't keep tires on them. I didn't mention the lower body height thought I could race them with a little inside info need all the advantage I can get oh well maybe another time
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

I remember you mentioned you had family coming in last night George. Sounds like you will have fun trying to keep up with your Grandson!

Yeah, Joel really does a nice job on Arm Balancing. But since I'm waiting for 2 sets of Mystery Mags that Joel needs to cut, I'm not about to send Joel arms to work on instead! I've been waiting for those mags since the Wade 500.

Mic,

We run the lower down force GTP bodies on the GT12s in our series. They handle awesome! As for tire wear... The tires only last one race anyway, how is it different if you use an LMP body or a GTP body? I can still only use a set for 1 race!
    Gary Johnson

Gary
    the guys said during testing starting at .032 they only got 100 laps out of a set of tires. cut another set .032 and only got 100 laps .laps times where 2 and 3 tenths faster then with our normal r-10 body. I'm sure they had the body's set to 1"5/8 not sure what body probably the Bentley. I told them all the west coast guys run them but just couldn't convince them so back to the r-10 .thought it would be cool to try something different.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic,

I have my cars jigged for a 44T gear. I start at .700" on my tires. I can run a whole race on them. I'm not sure what the clearance is but it is a bit more than .032". I don't really care, as lap times are plenty good at that size, and I can just race and not worry about tires.

When we ran the Summer series, we used the R10's. I still ran the .700" tires, and only had enough left at the end of the race for qualifying in the next race. Not a whole lot of difference.

We don't limit the height of the bodies either, so I cut my body at 1.625". When mounted and race tires on it, you are a bit higher than that. We typically run the O/S 068 BentLee or the O/S 066I Mercedes. Both of them work pretty well. I like the nose better on the Mercedes, but the BentLee can be slightly faster at times.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Gary
    the guys said during testing starting at .032 they only got 100 laps out of a set of tires. cut another set .032 and only got 100 laps .laps times where 2 and 3 tenths faster then with our normal r-10 body. I'm sure they had the body's set to 1"5/8 not sure what body probably the Bentley. I told them all the west coast guys run them but just couldn't convince them so back to the r-10 .thought it would be cool to try something different.
    Mic, I take it you are still referring to Open 12 (GT12) with the Dog 3? To burn down a set of tires in only 100 laps is pretty amazing, there must be a ton of rubber on the track or you are using oatmeal based tires. You should be able to run an entire race starting at .032", it's pretty rare to see the need for a tire change with a C Can car....something very strange about that.

As for bodies, I think I reported a few pages ago on the USRA Nats bodies.....not all that much slower than ultra high downforce bodies. We run stuff like Starfighter in the monthly series.....at Frank's you'll see a few guys do 3.6s once in a while using those big bodies, most of the faster guys running 3.7s for fast time. A few weeks ago we ran 3.8s with bodies like JK Products Audi R8C, Red Fox R18, JK BMW, etc, etc. I believe the chassis is responsible for the relative parity in lap times....the Dog 3 is just a great chassis...probably designed more for the low downforce bodies anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Mic,

I have my cars jigged for a 44T gear. I start at .700" on my tires. I can run a whole race on them. I'm not sure what the clearance is but it is a bit more than .032". I don't really care, as lap times are plenty good at that size, and I can just race and not worry about tires.

When we ran the Summer series, we used the R10's. I still ran the .700" tires, and only had enough left at the end of the race for qualifying in the next race. Not a whole lot of difference.

We don't limit the height of the bodies either, so I cut my body at 1.625". When mounted and race tires on it, you are a bit higher than that. We typically run the O/S 068 BentLee or the O/S 066I Mercedes. Both of them work pretty well. I like the nose better on the Mercedes, but the BentLee can be slightly faster at times.
    Wow Gary, pretty interesting you use the largest 72 pitch spur available! Yeah, I think with the rear axle that high your .700" tires are probably giving you .039" or so. You also get a little better tire wear starting with such big tires as the contact patch is a bit bigger, so the wear is slower. Very interesting! I may have to try an ultra high axle on one of my Dogs to see how it works.