Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I actually like both the pan setups. I use the 030 on my S16C GTP cars, and the 025 pans on my Hawk 7 powered LMP cars. Both work great!

On the twister I think the .030 pans are slightly better. But it all depends on track conditions.
    Gary Johnson

Hey George just got done looking at the photos from the norcal race looks like we were having ( like we don't have fun anyways!) But the thing I can't remember is what the hell I was pointing at?!?!?!?! Anyways always good time and hope to see you soon Greg
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

Hey Greg! You're pointing towards the last sighting of Chris' always exploding Bulldog Gt12. You'd think that he would slow down after doing it in Modesto. He never found all the flying parts. He was leaving everyone in the dust. I even heard George mutter about how quick Chris was getting around the track. Gus in Sacto

Quote Originally Posted by Bugboy209 View Post
    Hey George just got done looking at the photos from the norcal race looks like we were having ( like we don't have fun anyways!) But the thing I can't remember is what the hell I was pointing at?!?!?!?! Anyways always good time and hope to see you soon Greg
    Very cool Greg! That was really a fantastic weekend, especially Jim's food layout, the barbequed iguana was incredible. Looking at the photo does bring back the memories that we were having fun. The new flat track is a really good one, CRASH CODGER and his crew did a primo job designing it, and Cruizin' Bob built a beut. Can't wait to go back.

Right now doing a lot of prep work for the upcoming Nats Warm Up in Rohnert Park. I plan to head up there tomorrow to run GTP and test some eurosport stuff.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

The guy on the right side of the picture looks like George, but that can't be him. Maybe his evil twin Larry Russell?
    that's a wrap!

Was playing at the local track the other day (4" Naskar with sealed 501s, 1/8" axles and 48p on a rough king) and couldn't find the right tires. I took off full, big hub mag that were a touch firm for regular, small hub alu that were nice and soft. There was an increase in grip, but not quite as much as I anticipated in changing to smaller hubs and softer rubber. Are regular hub (the hub is not full width) that much less grip than full hub? The flat track stuff I have is all full hub and it's so long since I played with regular hubs that I don't remember them being that much down on grip to full hubs.
    Phil Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    Was playing at the local track the other day (4" Naskar with sealed 501s, 1/8" axles and 48p on a rough king) and couldn't find the right tires. I took off full, big hub mag that were a touch firm for regular, small hub alu that were nice and soft. There was an increase in grip, but not quite as much as I anticipated in changing to smaller hubs and softer rubber. Are regular hub (the hub is not full width) that much less grip than full hub? The flat track stuff I have is all full hub and it's so long since I played with regular hubs that I don't remember them being that much down on grip to full hubs.
    Phil, I haven't done that much with NASCAR, just played around with them a bit on our local Blue King. Which chassis are you running? Champion? Cheetah? You're right about looking for the right tires for this type of car, it is quite critical. It's been such a long time since I've used anything other than full hub tires, I can't really tell you if those old style regular hubs have less grip....I would guess they have a bit less grip. But with NASCAR, you have to find the right balance of grip, slide in the turns, and low rolling resistance for the long chutes. I have used .500" diameter full hub Speedshop tires in the past with success, but I narrow them down to about .725" wide by chamfering the inside edge of the tire. I know the most successful NASCAR guys always seem to use the Kelly tires which come in a wide variety of tire compounds and rim types. My local track owner carries a good selection of Kelly for NASCAR racing and it seems like there is a certain color label that works really well on the King track. Sorry to be so vague, but like I said, I'm kind of a fish out of water when you put me on a King track with a big tall car with .063" rear clearance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post
    The guy on the right side of the picture looks like George, but that can't be him. Maybe his evil twin Larry Russell?
    No, I don't think that is Larry, I think it is just Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    hey Phil looking over your post what I usely do is check what people use for that track for instance what George is saying they use a lot of Kelly tires their that's what usely go with since that type of tire is on the track ,and also check out your clearance in the back make sure you get it as close as you can to the track . Greg
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

Right now doing a lot of prep work for the upcoming Nats Warm Up in Rohnert Park. I plan to head up there tomorrow to run GTP and test some eurosport stuff.
    There is an outside chance I might come down from Reno too! hmmm... now if I can just get the ducks lined up....

Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

Got a great report from CRASH CODGER in Fresno, slot cars are alive and well in the Great Central Valley...

"LAST NIGHT WAS A GREAT NIGHT FOR SLOT CARS IN FRESNO…

I COUNTED THE CARS IN THE PARKING LOT AFTER THE STORE HAD BEEN CLOSED FOR ABOUT AN HR…22 CARS…WE HAD MULTIPLE NOVICE EVENTS…A REAL NOVICE RACE AND THEN OUR NOT SO NOVICE/NOVICE RACE, AND THE FLAT TRACK RACE/PUPPY DOG/FLEXI/LMP’S…AND HAD 10 OR THEM…DID NOT GET OUT TILL ABOUT 10 PAST 10….WAY COOL…."

New track, new location, holiday season....the makings for a good night of slotcar racing!

Good to hear Berteinstein may come down from Reno to race GTP at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif. I just need to put some finishing touches on a few things and I'll be ready to head up there.

I could be wrong but I think the quote was more of the lines of-

"LAST NIGHT WAS A GREAT NIGHT FOR SLOT CARS IN FRESNO…

I COUNTED THE CARS IN THE PARKING LOT AFTER THE STORE HAD BEEN CLOSED FOR ABOUT AN HR…22 CARS…WE HAD MULTIPLE NOVICE EVENTS…A REAL NOVICE RACE AND THEN OUR NOT SO NOVICE/NOVICE RACE, AND THE FLAT TRACK RACE/PUPPY DOG/FLEXI/LMP’S…AND HAD 10 OR THEM…DID NOT GET OUT TILL ABOUT 10 PAST 10….WAY COOL…."

Jasn
    Asking all things relevant-

It was really beyond the call of duty for Berteinstein to drive all the way from Reno yesterday to run in two races, but I was glad he made the drive. Very good turnout last night at Slot Car Raceway, site of the 2012 Nats and the upcoming Alphabet Warm Up Race in a few weeks. I turn marshalled the lead on for the LMP race on the Blue King. The good cars were running 4.7s which is about as fast as the best NASCARs from the 2008 Nats. There were nine (9) entries for this race and Vegas won it, I think Gawronski was in 2nd not far behind.

Then we ran GTP on the Testarossa and all I can say is, "what a fun class"!!! I left my better car in the box, the one with the new Super 16C. Ran a 3.80 with it in practice. So I pulled one of my NORCAL LMP cars and plopped the Starfighter on it. It still ran a 3.88 before the race. These are times that any NORCAL racer would love to run with a GT12! So, the combo of flexi chassis and Super Wasp or S16C motor is really quite fast. Wish my driving was as good as the car, I had one of my worst races as a driver in quite a while finishing a dismal 5th, but the car for sure had the pace. I just had way too many offs and had to fix the braid way too many times. Gawronski won the race with the usual flawless style, fast time of 3.94. A bunch of us ran 4.00s and the field was quite evenly matched I must say. Tracy Chin made an appearance and did really well as usual. Hadn't seen NuMarc and son Sean in a while either, they both raced. It was a fun evening!

I might try to make it up to Frank's this weekend to test a few things, but probably will leave stuff alone until the Alphabet Nats Warm Up.

SR
    Got a chance to test the new B-Pro X-25 .030 c-11 combo 7/40 gears Had a problem at first with getting motor far enough back to get a good gear mess fixed that and got ride height right and car was very good ran steady 3.6's and some 3.5's with less then perfect track conditions so all in all good first test session .Also finished new bull dog 3 ala Richard Mack soldering Technic and its a thing of beauty haven't put it on the track but looks like a million bucks .Would post picture but my photo program is on the blink and haven't fixed it yet
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    Got a chance to test the new B-Pro X-25 .030 c-11 combo 7/40 gears Had a problem at first with getting motor far enough back to get a good gear mess fixed that and got ride height right and car was very good ran steady 3.6's and some 3.5's with less then perfect track conditions so all in all good first test session .Also finished new bull dog 3 ala Richard Mack soldering Technic and its a thing of beauty haven't put it on the track but looks like a million bucks .Would post picture but my photo program is on the blink and haven't fixed it yet
    Mic, it's interesting you mention the gear mesh on the 40T spur. Cahoza really needs to make a 16 degree angle spur in 40T and 41T. If you think about it for a minute, the 42, 43 and 44 tooth spurs should be fine with straight cut gears as the motor angle is not as much. For some reason Cahoza didn't really think this through, the angle is more needed with 40 and 41!

I know you have worked a lot with Monty, and he is very much opposed to notching the rear magnet, but I have never had a problem with the notching. Lee taught me how to do this and I've done it all along. You really need to put a notch in back to get the reduced angle for the 40T spur, especially with the 7T pinion. I use a diamond tool to grind a notch only about 1/4" long, fairly deep but not ridiculous. Just enough so you can hide about half the axle as viewed from above. Like I said, some are philosophically opposed to the notch, but it makes it really hard to get the right angle....too much angle and the mesh is not good, and you are more vulnerable to losing a gear during a race when wacking unidentified flying slotcars.

Hey, let's get that photo program fixed so we can see some pics of your Dog 3!!