Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Mic, it's interesting you mention the gear mesh on the 40T spur. Cahoza really needs to make a 16 degree angle spur in 40T and 41T. If you think about it for a minute, the 42, 43 and 44 tooth spurs should be fine with straight cut gears as the motor angle is not as much. For some reason Cahoza didn't really think this through, the angle is more needed with 40 and 41!

I know you have worked a lot with Monty, and he is very much opposed to notching the rear magnet, but I have never had a problem with the notching. Lee taught me how to do this and I've done it all along. You really need to put a notch in back to get the reduced angle for the 40T spur, especially with the 7T pinion. I use a diamond tool to grind a notch only about 1/4" long, fairly deep but not ridiculous. Just enough so you can hide about half the axle as viewed from above. Like I said, some are philosophically opposed to the notch, but it makes it really hard to get the right angle....too much angle and the mesh is not good, and you are more vulnerable to losing a gear during a race when wacking unidentified flying slotcars.

Hey, let's get that photo program fixed so we can see some pics of your Dog 3!!
    My thoughts exactly we need a 16* angle 40 tooth and a 41 .I had to enlarge the notch already in the motor . I heard the notching thing from Monty also but never took it to heart when everybody else is trying to get the motor as far back as you can and as flat as you can for a better handling car figured it was just something you had to do for a proper gears mesh. haven't found any lack of motor proformance for doing so either. I also built it with 2 mil and the adjustable bushings so I can move the axle forward about .005 and that will be perfect.going to spend some time and get the photo program up and will post the dog 3 . Have a Happy New Year SR and all the SR post Readers

Please keep those photos coming.

Happy New Year from New Zealand
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

You're way ahead of us all Zippity. Happy New year you all.
    Lang may your lum reek.
    Cheers from Scotland

This thread started almost a year ago on January 4th with the idea of posting thoughts about slotcar building and racing. To celebrate the New Year 2012, I want to acknowledge the contributors to this thread and to all the readers who used their valuable time reading this invaluable information....

ab slotsport
    Backintheslot
    Berteinstein
    BigMike1
    bugboy209
    bugeinus
    Caprikinggus
    Casey Scott
    cbr345
    Chipper85
    CruzinBob
    Dan Miller
    Dante
    Dhamby
    EdC
    86d once again
    Fast Freddie
    fastg
    Fatboy
    Fiddiler
    Forsyth Racing
    Frank S
    fred_bloggs
    fxgeorge
    GearBear
    Gill A
    Greg N
    hitecca
    Ingram
    iron finger
    Jaybird
    jdracer
    JimBo
    jradford
    Jeff714
    jenson46
    Jerry123
    johnalias
    Ken Swanson
    Kiwiracer
    Kuni123456
    KVAN
    Kyle H
    La Cucharacha
    larrymatt
    LoudCat
    manny
    MantaRay
    Mazur50
    MentalKase
    Mic Byrd
    MikeK
    Mike R
    Monty@BOW
    NZDRE01
    Oldweirdherald
    Patraceuk
    Phatbstd
    PileDriver
    Pilmat
    Rcg Racing
    Reaper802
    RickB
    Roger Schmitt
    Ron
    68rncro
    Slapshot
    Slotcar Racer
    Smichslot
    Speedshop
    slotstuff
    Swiss
    team burrito
    the2cv
    Tmoore
    tnttires
    Topkat
    trickyvic3
    Vegas
    Wade Raceway
    Wallbasher
    wbugenis
    Wjdougherty
    Woody-England
    Zippity

If I left anybody out, thanks for your contribution!
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 12-31-2011 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Furgot to put my own name on the list!!!!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

It's all in good times George happy new year to you and all the slot car junkies out their!!! And keep on racing!!! Greg"Sandbag"Streeter
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

This is a great thread with a ton of info. Now that the new year is here it would be fine with me to lock it down & save it for reference then start Slot Car Racer 2012.
    Why do I do this to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallbasher View Post
    This is a great thread with a ton of info. Now that the new year is here it would be fine with me to lock it down & save it for reference then start Slot Car Racer 2012.
    Interesting idea Wall, do you want to elaborate on your suggestion?

Saturday, New Years Eve at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif, site of the 2006, 2008, 2012 and who knows, maybe 2020 USRA Scale Nats.....track in really good condition for testing. It was cleaned on Wednesday, then we had the Warm Up to the Nats Warm Up Race on Thursday night with Berteinstein "Over The Hill" from Reno, Paul & Frank Gawronski, 2006 USRA Cobalt 12 Champion Sebastian Alioto, Ryan Vegas McDaniel and a host of other naturally talented slotcar racers. A lot of rubber laid down after a second glue spraying before the race. So, the track was really good. Ran a couple of new Contender arms for 15 minutes each on red and on black to heat em up so I can ship em out to Camen for recon. Both really good arms, ran 4.55s on red and 4.05s on black, decent motors. For comparison, I pulled out the GTP I didn't run on Thursday, curious to see how it would do on such a hooked up track. Kinda made my jaw drop, I'll leave it at that. It goes in a ziploc bag for March.

The GT12 was a lot better, I had tried it on Thursday and the fresh brushes were way too long and too much spring tension, so I honed the brushes down shorter and rearranged the spring tension...it really freed it up...less brakes, a little more drivable. Still, I needed to turn off the relay and use about 30% choke to tame the thing. Didn't like the Audi 18 so I went to the BMW and that was better. Put that one in the box. The other newer Dog 3 had a much softer motor in it and I could push it a lot harder and achieve same lap times, but more safely. Tells me that monster horsepower may not be the best for the GT12s with low downforce LMP bodies.

Moving on to ES32, I tried the Mack chassis with tape across the pans and as predicted, it tightened it up but not too much. It ran well but the tires were almost gone. Note to self: try Mack with fresh tires. Got decent lap times with the car but I should pull the 455 tall set up out of it and put in the standard small block and try it. Note to self: try Mack with fresh tires and regular small block motor. Also remember to bring controller.

The Baby Piero was blazing fast now that I made a few corrections to the chassis movement plus annulling anything that did by taping the pans! Makes sense, correct the movement, then take it away....note to self: don't do that. Anyway, this one got into the 3.5s finally, a goal I have been looking for for a long time. For those of you coming to the Scale Nats, this is a very good lap time to aim for on the yellow lane. Even if you can run 3.7s you will still be competitive. Goes with my rule of thumb, if I am within two tenths of the fastest cars, I still feel I have a chance to do reasonably well. I left Mr. Horky in the box, no test for him.

Then we go to the ES24 show time. Big Piero was really good with the newest mods (classified information, read Wikileaks for all the intel) and a Gulliver Six Mag with Valiko 18t25 turned down to .470" diameter....until the arm went south. This must have been the reason I found this armature in my junk box. Note to self: mark bad arms before putting into junk box. So I pulled the motor and put the 23t25 back in it with freshly trued comm and a fresh pair of Bigfoot II brushes. Went out on the track and ran it down to 3.14 fast time with a string of 3.1s. Very drivable. Then out came Mr. Horky with his Mystery Set Up and Valiko 18t24.5 allie comm motor. Seemed stupidly fast, needed a lot of choke, and got it down to 3.11. OK, this is where I get confused. Note the lap times between the two cars, almost identical...but lap times achieved with 1) 23t25 mini motor and 2) 18t24.5 monster motor. If this was race day, I would go with the mild motor for tire wear. I know the 84.5 will blow the tires off faster....but the reserve horsepower is awfully seductive. I'm sure many of you have run into the same dilemma: attraction to high horsepower, common sense says to run the drivable car.

Today is the first day of year 2012 with the big event only three months away, the 2012 USRA Scale Nats. Not sure what lies beyond for the year, wife and I need to discuss vacation plans. I've floated the idea of the two of us going to Sweden, but that email remains unanswered. May be in her inbox along with 237 other unanswered emails. We'll see how the planning for the year goes.

Have to get ready to go back to "work" tomorrow. The full week off was great, got a lot of WORK done. The only thing on the docket for today is to spray a couple of 1/32 F1 bodies, a pair of RB08s....I have some new Tamiya Ferrari red that looks good. Part number is simply "PS" and called "Bright Mica Red"....I'll back it with some silver to highlight the metal flakes. Better get to work...

A happy and healthy New Year to you, Slotcar Racer, and to George, too. Thanks so much for the wonderful thread!

Greg

Happy New Year George- I guess it`s 1/02/12 now.
    Driving to Ohio the next 2 weekends to race.
    Been soldering and mounting bodies for the last month, but haven`t been to a track.
    Looking forward to actually watching my cars go around a track while I hold a controller!

Hey George!

I enjoy this thread very much. Have a great Near Year and much success at the Div II Nats.

Tony
    OWH Slotographer

George, thanks for your time and expertise here on the SRT thread. Always a good read and fun to exchange ideas on.

I like Wallbasher's idea to close this thread and open a SRT 2012 just to keep searching manageable (heck, 121 pages not enough for you to hunt through?).

Looking forward to more banter on 2012! Cheers, Phil.
    Phil Matthews

George

Excellent and very informative thread...

Happy New Year...

LM

Here's an idea for navigation, and maybe oldweirdherald has a better idea...I can add an index to my first post of 1/4/2011 giving the month and year and page numbers. Will that solve the navigation issue for y'all? Y'all??? Where in the heck did that come from?!?!?! Am I back at Chicks Hobbiz at the 2010 Nats or something? Anyway, putting in that index would be easy.

An index is an EXCELLENT idea! (if it's not too much trouble.....)