Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    An index is an EXCELLENT idea! (if it's not too much trouble.....)
    Thanks Mike, I just wrote it down on a slip of paper, now I will post it on that first post. Here's the interesting thing, you'll notice 2011 has 121 pages and sure enough, the average is ten pages per month quite consistently.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Pages 1-9 January 2011
    Pages 10-16 February 2011
    Pages 17-27 March 2011
    Pages 28-35 April 2011
    Pages 36-45 May 2011
    Pages 46-56 June 2011
    Pages 57-69 July 2011
    Pages 70-79 August 2011
    Pages 80-89 September 2011
    Pages 90-97 October 2011
    Pages 98-110 Novemeber 2011
    Pages 111-121 December 2011

OK, now you really have me going....next I will have to add the main topics covered during these months

Last night worked on the finicky job of cutting out a couple of CAT RB 08 bodies for my two 1/32 F1 eurosports. It helps that I have a few practice ones under my belt! The paint jobs turned out fairly well for a neophyte painter such as myself...I should post a few photos, but I might embarrass myself. One is going on Mr. Horky, the other goes on Mr. Mack. Right now my F1 motor is at Pro Slot where Dan is winding a new arm for it using the Camen specs. Overall arm length is only about .720", it's a 45t29, nice and mild. Looking forward to this class at the Scale Nats, it's a fun one (if frustration is your idea of fun!!!)

Thanks George, I can't wait for the topics to show up. There is info I would like to back to but ?

Work is progressing on the index of topics by month, I just posted January. Not sure if the whole thing will fit on one post, sent an email to Mom to find out if it will work, otherwise I might post a new thread with just the index...we'll see.

It's interesting how if you keep working on skills, things go around full circle. It was last February 1st I posted this:

I’ve had to think a couple of days about controllers before saying anything. In our testing on Sunday, Herman and I ran one car, my Horky eurosport, and tested two Speedshops (my Dr. Verdo and the latest design by Alex), Ryan’s Carsteen, Howard’s FET demo controller, and Herman’s Czech controller modified by Howard. Both the FET and the Carsteen are really quite different from the Speedshops. Both Herman and I had to make major “driver modifications” to get the same result for the car. Using “Speedshop Driver Input” with the FET resulted in the car going all crazy, especially in the esses on the Testarossa. However, like I said, that craziness could be modified by changing how we drove. I can’t say if in the long run that would be more work, but it certainly left us thinking that if the Speedshop works OK with a eurosport, no need to change to something else and on top of it change driving style. Interestingly, the modified Czech controller felt very similar to the Speedshop and we got the fastest lap times with it. The only conclusion I can come to is this: you just have to pick a controller and master your driving. I drove a Carsteen exclusively for well over a year and had a lot of success with it. However, once I bought the Dr. Verdo Speedshop, I used it exclusively for Eurosport. Herman and I both agree that the Speedshop is very driveable for eurosport….it delivers an almost brain-dead kind of driveability. You can go on auto pilot, let the car float around the track and watch for wrecks more easily. Now, that isn’t to say you could learn the same thing with another controller….it’s just that for me right now I own two Speedshops, so it doesn’t make much sense at this moment to add another controller to my inventory that is so different in feel.

I've gone full circle and purchased a basic FETroller yesterday. I reread all the information donated to this thread by other users and put this together with some recent emails with Howard and made the decision to just buy the controller and get used to it. It may be hard to go back and forth between it and other controllers, but from what everyone says, I won't be going back and forth!

Funny how when I have a customer pick up a new pair of glasses I warn them against trying to go back and forth between the new pair and the old pair....."you have to tough it out and just adapt to the new pair". I might try taking my own advice with the FETroller. Looks like I'll need to buy another track time card from Frank to learn the new troller.

I have to agree the FET controller is a great controller.

One think that i like is that it is not effected by track voltage change in adjustment like the Speedshop/DR40 design. This was my biggest downfall at the Phily race.

I think there is only one change i would make to the controller. and that would be the addition of a fine tune Attack knob because the the Attack on the FET is so great.

Also tune the controller a bit to get rid of the noise made by the wiper on the bands. This can be done by using ultra fine sandpaper "2000+ grit" over the barrel resister to smooth it out a bit. Just make sure to keep the controller clean any of the dust from the wiper button so it does not short the barrel resistor.

Mike
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Mike,

the noise from sliding across the barrel goes away after you use it for a while

I've actually talked with Howard about adding an inductive style choke to my controller. I think I'll have to give him a call and see how long and how much...

I've gone full circle and purchased a basic FETroller yesterday. I reread all the information donated to this thread by other users and put this together with some recent emails with Howard and made the decision to just buy the controller and get used to it. It may be hard to go back and forth between it and other controllers, but from what everyone says, I won't be going back and forth!
    You won't regret it George! You will love the extra brakes! And, yeah, you need to just bite the bullet and get used to it. I haven't used my Speedshop or Difalco for a race in Months!
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Mike,

the noise from sliding across the barrel goes away after you use it for a while

I've actually talked with Howard about adding an inductive style choke to my controller. I think I'll have to give him a call and see how long and how much...

You won't regret it George! You will love the extra brakes! And, yeah, you need to just bite the bullet and get used to it. I haven't used my Speedshop or Difalco for a race in Months!
    The sand paper just speeds the process up I just cant stand it. It is a great controller.

I think the carsteen is also a great controller just needs a FTB.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

I love mine.... it took about 3 hours of track time and a race or two to really get it dialed in to my style but I haven't used anything else since. Take care
    Jay Herrod

Interesting controller talk... What made you put down the Carsteen? Was that the Verdo was better suited to ES and you just used for everything after that?

I particularly like the Carsteen, the smooth light feel is just hard to beat. I don't find I would need full throttle bypass (FTB) as I don't like the way the last band feels different from the previous ones (also why I don't like a click relay). And combining the electronic choke and a toroidal one give lots of possibilities.

But isn't wonderful that there is a choice for all of us
    Phil Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    Interesting controller talk... What made you put down the Carsteen? Was that the Verdo was better suited to ES and you just used for everything after that?

I particularly like the Carsteen, the smooth light feel is just hard to beat. I don't find I would need full throttle bypass (FTB) as I don't like the way the last band feels different from the previous ones (also why I don't like a click relay). And combining the electronic choke and a toroidal one give lots of possibilities.

But isn't wonderful that there is a choice for all of us
    Hey guys, thanks for all the support on getting the FETroller. Looking forward to going up to Frank's on Sunday to start using it. Phil, if you go back to my post on 2/1/11 you'll see more details of my testing and my decision to stay with Dr Verdo's controller. Yes, the Doctor's troller felt better to me for eurosport, but over the past year my driving has evolved past that controller. In fact, I haven't used it in months.

The Carsteen is another excellent controller, I used that for a few years but it was the same thing as the FET....I thought it was too different than the Speedshop. I kept trying to get both the settings for the Carsteen and the FET to make them feel like the Speedshop....couldn't be done, so I eliminated those options. Now I've decided to not go back to Speedshop controller (at least, for now!!!). I plan to keep one Speedshop, and I still really like my Budgie controller (the Czech knock off). Admittedly I have too many controllers, but it's nice to have a rack of them to choose from for various duties. "But isn't wonderful that there is a choice for all of us " I couldn't agree more!!!

What all did Howard do to Herman's Czech controller?
    James Grinstead

TEAM KOFORD

Why so serious?

I think it is a Valiko Controller not "The Czech"
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by 86ed once again View Post
    What all did Howard do to Herman's Czech controller?
    James, the story as I know it is Herman bought it from Frank after Howard repaired it. I've tried it and it is one of the best controllers I've used. Maybe Topkat will give us some details if he reads this thread.

Dog3

SR
    Finally got my photo software working here are the Dog 3 photos using the Richard Mack soldering Technic. 90% of the soldering was done from the bottom of the chassis very clean looking finished chassis and its a little faster also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog3..jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	10129  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog3.1..jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	10130  

Last edited by Mic Byrd; 01-06-2012 at 04:01 AM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com