Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Now if I can just figure this part out LOL.Here they are again hopefully you can see them this time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog3.5..jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	10131  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog3.3..jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	10132  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog3.2..jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	10133  

Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Phew. I thought I had lost my spectacles

Question Richard Mack soldering method

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Now if I can just figure this part out LOL.Here they are again hopefully you can see them this time
    Mick, the chassis looks very nice, but how do you manage to solder everything from underneath & yet keep everything flat & square?

Quote Originally Posted by jenson46 View Post
    Mick, the chassis looks very nice, but how do you manage to solder everything from underneath & yet keep everything flat & square?
    I think you missed that he said '0%" (zero) of the soldering was done from the bottom of the chassis.

You must have thought it was "100%"

I will see if I can find a link to my post about how to make a simple "no budget" photo booth. I've been meaning to post and article with pics on tips for taking close-up slot car pics for a decade or so, as it does come up frequently. At least you gave me an excuse to clean my glasses.

P.S. I just got home last night from my overseas journey - still sick and need to catch up on much needed sleep. Besides being unable to sleep, I had no online access for the last day and a half (which is pure torture for me). When I find the time, I will have to have to share some of my misadventures, probably on my personal blog (still in the works). This trip could be summed up as "Murphy's Law in Action"

I'll do some brain-storming on the indexing idea, as there are several different methods that could help the navigation of this monster resource of a thread. My first thought is to make a separate "sticky" thread for the index, with links to jump you to dates or topics.
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 01-05-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It should have been 100% was soldered from underneath. Thats the way he does is chassis. The parts are a tight fit and stay in place. The flux draws the solder up through the chassis. Use an axle and bushings to line up the pillar blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    It should have been 100% was soldered from underneath. Thats the way he does is chassis. The parts are a tight fit and stay in place. The flux draws the solder up through the chassis. Use an axle and bushings to line up the pillar blocks.
    I soldered the rails from the top and the rear rail tube's the rest was from bottom and patraceuk is right the parts fit so good and tight its fairly easy
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

I tend to make my parts not quite as tight of a fit so that the thing is a little easier to un-solder for maintenance. Am I doing something wrong?
    Phil Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    I tend to make my parts not quite as tight of a fit so that the thing is a little easier to un-solder for maintenance. Am I doing something wrong?
    Phil the dog 3 kits are so good even with snug fit they come apart fairly easy and with this method you have less solder to deal with
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Phil the dog 3 kits are so good even with snug fit they come apart fairly easy and with this method you have less solder to deal with
    Agreed. I just had this discussion with CRASH CODGER who builds tons of kits for customers, he had been spending a whole lot of time cleaning up the parts so they fit perfectly. I punch the parts off the sheet and just grind off the 2-3 little spots where they were attached, then press fit it into the slot....doesn't take much pressure at all. Also, these chassis are perfectly aligned already, no need to do any kind of fancy jigs or anything. What it comes down to is this: don't waste a bunch of time on these, they are manufactured really well and easy to build. If you are putting all that time into it, it's really just a waste. Kind of like taking a Cahoza set up and spending time pounding the can on a mandrel and fidgeting with brush hood alignment...all that is a waste of time and effort. All the Dogs I have built just slam together nicely, put it on the track and it's bloody fast.

Also, I never really found a need to take a GT12 chassis apart other than an occasional front hinge replacement on an older Dog.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    Maintenance? Phil, you don't need to unsolder the slotted parts for maintenance....that's overkill. Once in a while, just pull the bite bar out...unsolder the two brass retainers on the piano wire, then you can disassemble the pans from the center section. Check the pans and center section for flatness. Once in a while I replace the piano wire rails. If you took a heavy head-on hit, put the center section with the rear axle in place on a piece of graph paper...be sure the rear axle is perpendicular to the chassis alignment. That's the most you'd need to do to maintain a Dog. No need to be pulling parts out unless somehow they got busted.

SR
    Finally got my photo software working here are the Dog 3 photos using the Richard Mack soldering Technic. 90% of the soldering was done from the bottom of the chassis very clean looking finished chassis and its a little faster also.
    Mic, great! Yeah, the Mack soldering technique is pretty amazing. I use a wooden skewer with a semi-blunted tip for my acid flux application to minimize the amount of flux. I put a small application on the top side around the parts, then turn the chassis over and apply a few dabs to the slot where the parts fit it...then apply the silver solder to that point on the bottom side. Sometimes I find it fun to turn it over while applying the solder and watch the solder get sucked up and create a perfect, neat solder joint on the top side. I have to find ways of having fun. At least I don't go out to bars and strip clubs to have fun. OK, now I'm getting in deeper and deeper....yeah, my life is pretty pathetic if my idea of fun is watching solder get sucked up through a chassis. Sad but true! I am Slotcar Racer.

Thumbs up BD3 soldering the Mack way

Thanks for all the comments guys, very informative.

Thanks for the Information.
    I am building one tomorrow. Most racers around hear are affraid to build there GT12 and have Crash build there cars.
    He does a great job and his cars are fast and built right!
    I rather build it myself If it's fast I know why if it's not I ask Crash where I went wrong.
    Go fast or go Home.

FTB???

Mike M, when you say that the CarSteen controller is just missing a FTB, I take it that you mean that it miss what on most controllers are a swichable relay. That is: a contact that by-passes the choke when the throttle is pushed all the way. Right?

That kan be done. A few changes here and there, plus a switch.
    I am not convinced about the benefit from a FTB, by hey, who am I, I just build the thing!!
    I can be converted, though, and since the FTB can be switched of it can do any harm.

Just let me know.

Steen

Steen

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    Thanks for the Information.
    I am building one tomorrow. Most racers around hear are affraid to build there GT12 and have Crash build there cars.
    He does a great job and his cars are fast and built right!
    I rather build it myself If it's fast I know why if it's not I ask Crash where I went wrong.
    Brian, thanks for your 2nd contribution to the forum. Just to share with you my own experience, when Hermanator talked me into getting back into speed demon slotcar racing back in 2005 (that was after 3 years of racing real vintage slotcars), I had Lee prepare me cars for the 2006 Scale Nats. Lee is another master builder. I had him build my eurosports for the next three years until the Mack eurosport chassis came out. By then, I think I was ready to start building all my own cars because the Mack was so much easier to build and set up. I've been building my own cars since and really enjoy spending my time doing it. I also think it's important to work with a Master builder like CRASH CODGER to see how much meticulous care he puts into his work....sounds like that is precisely your plan. He will surely give you honest feedback on your work and I totally support this approach since it is the same road I took. Most of all, have a great time doing it!