Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Last night it was time to apply Mr. HOGGER to half a dozen pair of donuts on some Cahoza carbon fiber rim. Got some new rubber during a bit of a donut drought right now.....not sure this small batch of new donuts is very good. They seem very porous, kind of big holes in the rubber like a lighter foam....still fish rubber though. Extremely soft. I'm gonna try some on Sunday on various cars, GT12, LMP, ES24 and ES32. They might be good on ES32 with the very low downforce Audi body, but those little cars are notorious for eating up tires.....and these soft tires look like they will wear really fast!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    They might be good on ES32 with the very low downforce Audi body, but those little cars are notorious for eating up tires.....and these soft tires look like they will wear really fast!
    But with the Nats schedule, the ES32 race will likely be on a fairly clean track (not too rubbered in). Doesn't that mean less tire wear in general, and without the heavy rubbering in, soft tires will be the mandate? So soft winds and softer tires.
    Phil Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    But with the Nats schedule, the ES32 race will likely be on a fairly clean track (not too rubbered in). Doesn't that mean less tire wear in general, and without the heavy rubbering in, soft tires will be the mandate? So soft winds and softer tires.
    Could be more tire wear due to more wheel spin...
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

Good to hear from you Jerry. I can only go by experience at the Worlds in Chicago where so many cars got run on the track that the rubber build up was incredible. That is what created incredibly fast tire wear, increased bite just tore the heck out of tires. I still can't believe that I blew off my tires in a 24 minute race and started just over .032". Anyway, it's always been my experience that with less bite, you never wear out the tires. Remember the final eurosport race at Chicks in 2010....the track got super loose on Friday morning.....earlier in the week we ran 3.8s, on Friday morning we were slithering around trying to hit 4.2. I believe that is how some of us used just one set of tires in the 40 minute final race, tires couldn't find grip on the track for whatever reason.

Today was kind of a quiet day, I finished painting three GT12 bodies and mounted one. Also trying a little experiment with the batch of ultra soft rubber. Soaked just two pairs in lacquer thinner for six hours. Dried em. Mounted em. Might get them trued for tomorrow's FETroller debut on the Testarossa. Tonight gonna put back together Big Piero for testing duty tomorrow. Looking forward to getting CRASH CODGER's race report tomorrow morning.

Remember the final eurosport race at Chicks in 2010....the track got super loose on Friday morning.....earlier in the week we ran 3.8s, on Friday morning we were slithering around trying to hit 4.2. I believe that is how some of us used just one set of tires in the 40 minute final race, tires couldn't find grip on the track for whatever reason.
    That was the exact race that came to mind. While you, Mike Stahl, Chris Radish, and probably others made it on one set of tires, it took me three sets to make it through the main. I think tire wear is a combination of track conditions and driving style, but for me, how I drive the car has a larger impact on tire wear.

For 1/24 euro at the Worlds in Chicago, I was able to use one pair of tires for the quarters and was planning on just one set in the semi until the chassis broke, so I don't know how that would have worked out.
    Last edited by Jerry123; 01-07-2012 at 07:56 PM.
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

Jerry, I think you and I race in Bizarro Worlds from eachother!!

[ He will surely give you honest feedback on your work and I totally support this approach since it is the same road I took. Most of all, have a great time doing it![/QUOTE]

That is the truth he has helped me from just some guy racing a borrowed car 2 months ago at the norcal race, my second race after a 15 year layoff. To come in second place in advance 8th overall 1 lap behind 1st place in the advance class. With Crash tootaledge I'm a race winner at last weeks local race winnig by 3ft. He help me with setup, body mounting, and gear ratio he is the man!
    I want to thank him publicly for all the help.
    Brian
    Go fast or go Home.

Last night it was time to apply Mr. HOGGER to half a dozen pair of donuts on some Cahoza carbon fiber rim. Got some new rubber during a bit of a donut drought right now.....not sure this small batch of new donuts is very good. They seem very porous, kind of big holes in the rubber like a lighter foam....still fish rubber though. Extremely soft. I'm gonna try some on Sunday on various cars, GT12, LMP, ES24 and ES32. They might be good on ES32 with the very low downforce Audi body, but those little cars are notorious for eating up tires.....and these soft tires look like they will wear really fast!
    Word on the street is that, indeed, this batch of rubber is NOT very good...

And, since all the rubber comes from from the same source, it appears we are going to be stuck for awhile.

Many racers are buying up older rubber still in the system...

No definitive results that I know of, but that is the talk out there.

Let us know how the new batch works...

LM

Quote Originally Posted by larrymatt View Post
    Word on the street is that, indeed, this batch of rubber is NOT very good...

And, since all the rubber comes from from the same source, it appears we are going to be stuck for awhile.

Many racers are buying up older rubber still in the system...

No definitive results that I know of, but that is the talk out there.

Let us know how the new batch works...

LM
    Yup, right you are LM. Here's what a pair looks like after six hours of soaking.....very porous and soft....I'll try it today

DSCN4535 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Maybe a total misconception of mine, but I thought soaking tires in thinners is what turned them in to "treated" tires. Is this what you're doing, trying to toughen up the ultra soft rubber?
    Phil Matthews

Any news on the tires?

I found out supposedly the right way to treat rubber is to soak it in thinner, then bag it and store it for about a month. I think the thinner does a chemical number on the rubber. The rubber that's out right now needs more than a little bit of help, it is really quite bad. Hermanator and I tested some today and on a GT12 it was about two tenths slower than good rubber. It is porous and extremely soft....seems to be soft in a bad way. Car kind of chatters with it almost like the rubber is folding over itself....we both found it felt very strange to drive. It's better on some cars than others, for instance not too bad on ES32. I ran a pair on my Horky at .042" clearance and it was fairly decent. Put on a pair of run in older rubber and it felt so much better! I have a decent supply of good tires right now, but will have to save them for racing and I think the new stuff will have to be for practice only.

The new FETroller felt much the same as a year ago as I remember. It'll take some practice, but it will be really good. Worked great with 1/24 Eurosport this afternoon. The adjustments are pretty simple, and I played with the toggle switches a little, very similar to the toggles on the Carsteen...same idea.

I built My Bulldog 3 chassis, It was a easy build even with out instruction. i went to Mack's web site and i use the instructions and build tips for a bulldog2 that was really helpfull. I used 62/36/2 silver solder I hope that is good enough to hold my chassis together? (if you can tell me I would like to know) Joints looked real good and the solder wicked up from the bottom to the top just like you guys said! The build turned out better then I thought it would, I hope to test imy chassis out this week and see if it holds together. I have a cadilac and a stealth fighter mounted we will see.
    I talk to one of my buddies and he seemed very sceptacle about the solder used and the and the build. He has a chassis and car built Crash and doubts that a beginer like me can build a gt 12 that is race ready. I have built 1/8 scale RC gas cars so I wasn't afraid of GT12 only 30 peices not 2000 pcs everyone else I race with is afraid to build one! My other buddy a new racer that builds RC planes is building one this week too so we will see if we have skills or not.
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    I built My Bulldog 3 chassis, It was a easy build even with out instruction. i went to Mack's web site and i use the instructions and build tips for a bulldog2 that was really helpfull. I used 62/36/2 silver solder I hope that is good enough to hold my chassis together? (if you can tell me I would like to know) Joints looked real good and the solder wicked up from the bottom to the top just like you guys said! The build turned out better then I thought it would, I hope to test imy chassis out this week and see if it holds together. I have a cadilac and a stealth fighter mounted we will see.
    I talk to one of my buddies and he seemed very sceptacle about the solder used and the and the build. He has a chassis and car built Crash and doubts that a beginer like me can build a gt 12 that is race ready. I have built 1/8 scale RC gas cars so I wasn't afraid of GT12 only 30 peices not 2000 pcs everyone else I race with is afraid to build one! My other buddy a new racer that builds RC planes is building one this week too so we will see if we have skills or not.
    Wow Brian, this is fantastic! Good job man. Don't let anybody tell you any of this is Rocket Science because it isn't. All it takes is time and patience and the willingness to learn. As for the solder, I know CODGER uses plain old 60/40 rosin core solder and it seems to work well for him. I only use the 60/40 to make my electrical connections. For all structural building I use the silver solder you mention. It seems to work well for me. As far as I'm concerned you can use bubble gum if you want, just as long as it works well for you!

I think this is a really good deal on silver solder. I bought one of these on Amazon and have been using it over a year now.

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-S...6125766&sr=8-4