Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry123 View Post
    Mike - Care to share what it is and who we can get it from?
    I have seen Rubber at my local raceway that looks nothing like what SR posted even treated it looks nothing like that it looks and feel and smells the same. I will see if i can try some tonight and post my testing results.

But I also have lot of old rubber stashed away so I should be fine if this storm does hit hard.

Mike
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

SR what kind of magnet matcher do you use to reading magnets?
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Hey George,

Aren't those Atom arms Hemi wound? Make sure you have your wires connected right!
    Gary Johnson

Question Hemi wound arms

Gary, excuse my ignorance, but what is a Hemi wound arm? Also, you mentioned to make sure that the wires are the right way round. Does this mean that Hemi wound arms turn the opposite way to a conventional arm? Recently, I bought a Viper G12 arm from OWH & was surprised,when I tried it in my GT12 chassis & it went backwards. Does this make it a Hemi wound arm? I know it surprised me & the people I race with. Any answers will be much appriciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    What Proslot can are you using the SRS or VIP?
    Mike, it is not the VIP (with the bar going across the opening) so I guess it is the SRS (short bars that just cover the magnets.....why do they bother with the bars?!?!? Just do what Cahoza does....). The VIP was pretty good for the Worlds production in 2010, but it is not a very good can for high end use. The SRS or whatever it is....THE OTHER ONE....performs quite well
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I have seen Rubber at my local raceway that looks nothing like what SR posted even treated it looks nothing like that it looks and feel and smells the same. I will see if i can try some tonight and post my testing results.

But I also have lot of old rubber stashed away so I should be fine if this storm does hit hard.

Mike
    You're right Mike, I checked the Mid America website and he has UFRA donuts for only $4.50....PEOPLE of the REPUBLIC OF SLOTCARLAND, I'd recommend those donuts, hoard a supply! Another source would be Dave Harvey at Won O Won.com....his UFRA are comparable in price, he also has four month old Koford fish rubber and some rubber of his own batch. I don't know of any other sources, but hopefully we'll get back to regular supplies soon.

SR what kind of magnet matcher do you use to reading magnets?
    I go by smell (find the two that smell closest). Don't got no stinkin' magnet matcher. I'm a neanderthal slotcar racer, not all that sophisticated. (grunt grunt)

Quote Originally Posted by jenson46 View Post
    Gary, excuse my ignorance, but what is a Hemi wound arm? Also, you mentioned to make sure that the wires are the right way round. Does this mean that Hemi wound arms turn the opposite way to a conventional arm? Recently, I bought a Viper G12 arm from OWH & was surprised,when I tried it in my GT12 chassis & it went backwards. Does this make it a Hemi wound arm? I know it surprised me & the people I race with. Any answers will be much appriciated.
    Gary is correct, the ATOM arms use RJR/Viper's equipment. As far as I have heard, Bill Bugenis worked for Robert Root at one time, and now Bill has the equipment to make arms. Correct me if I'm wrong Bill. Bill? Hello, Bill, are you there? Anyway, RJR/Viper were all hemis, just wound the other direction...there's some theory I don't understand for doing it this way. In the 90s I always ran RJR stuff, it was the fastest for me. Bill's done a great job in resurrecting the brand. I hope he gets comms soon too as one of my favorite arm winders needs them!!!! Oh yeah, one more thing Gary, yes I wired the cars correctly!!!

Hi SR,

Yes. I am here!! The CNC winding machines that Robert Root used wound "hemi" style. I think it is difficult to visualize from a written description but the best I have seen was posted on the other board post # 3099 in the section called "ARM Winding" :

"A hemi wind vs a std wind is the way the wire comes off the comm onto the stack. A standard wind the wire goes from the tab over the top of the laminations and around the pole. A hemi the wire comes off the comm and goes straight down then around the pole. A hemi has a little less wire for the same number of turns and runs in reverse rotation.

On a hemi the wires do not cross over each other at the comm tab."

You can either reverse zap the magnets or switch the leadwires to have the arm run as a standard arm.

BTW, Commutators have always been available to your favorite arm winder.

Bill
    Last edited by wbugenis; 01-11-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks for the description Bill! I've read that whole thread on the other board... Pretty amazing information in it.

Mike, I picked up the Wright Way Magnet Matcher a few months ago and it works very well for me. Yeah it is the wand type. But I can now see the difference when zapping magnets and that is why I bought it.

Before I got it I never bothered to zap my magnets as I had no way of knowing if the process was doing anything.
    Gary Johnson

Oh yeah, one more thing Gary, yes I wired the cars correctly!!!
    I knew you would! But I wanted to call it out just for the education for other racers

Recently, I bought a Viper G12 arm from OWH & was surprised,when I tried it in my GT12 chassis & it went backwards. Does this make it a Hemi wound arm? I know it surprised me & the people I race with. Any answers will be much appriciated.
    As stated above, the Viper arms were Hemi wound. So, you can either re-zap the magnets, or change the wires to get the motor to turn in the correct direction. And this is why I posted my post!
    Gary Johnson

? ? ?
    I always thought "hemi" winds were: "All 3 wires brought together at opposite comm end", ie, each wire attached only once to the comm, wound per normal and then all 3 attached together at the opposite end. I used to build them this way in the 60"s as double, triple and quad 31's. They ran the opposite direction.
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Mike, it is not the VIP (with the bar going across the opening) so I guess it is the SRS (short bars that just cover the magnets.....why do they bother with the bars?!?!? Just do what Cahoza does....). The VIP was pretty good for the Worlds production in 2010, but it is not a very good can for high end use. The SRS or whatever it is....THE OTHER ONE....performs quite well
    The reason I ask is there is also the old thinner ps714 can that looks just like the VIP can but with out the bar. and then there is the SRS that looks more like a kelly or koford.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Guy,
    not sure but I think I've heard that called a "star wind" I'll check with the extra old racers at our club tomorrow.

Woody
    Woodyatoaklands

Red face Hemi wound arms

Thanks for all the info on "Hemis" guys. I feel much better now!