Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

ProSlot also has hemi wound arms. They are on the website in the drag section.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Woody
    You triggered some dead brain cells circa 1967/8. Star wind is what I was thinking. Thanks.
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

Ok, I think it's time for what SR has called on occasion a shameless plug... We have done a fair amount of testing lately with a couple of the Atom hornets and a contender. The results have been very impressive! We used two Cahoza UL cans with T5 magnets in a .560 hole. The only difference was I reversed the magnets on one of the setups. The first thing we noticed was the sound. They sound awesome!!! You can be standing with your back to the track and as soon as someone puts a motor with an Atom arm in it on the track for the first time you'll immediately spin around saying what's that? The arms spin up very quickly with very good top end speed. For some reason the setup with the magnets reversed out preformed the other setup in all test runs... The times were in the low 3.3's on the UK Black... Strong!
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff714 View Post
    Ok, I think it's time for what SR has called on occasion a shameless plug... We have done a fair amount of testing lately with a couple of the Atom hornets and a contender. The results have been very impressive! We used two Cahoza UL cans with T5 magnets in a .560 hole. The only difference was I reversed the magnets on one of the setups. The first thing we noticed was the sound. They sound awesome!!! You can be standing with your back to the track and as soon as someone puts a motor with an Atom arm in it on the track for the first time you'll immediately spin around saying what's that? The arms spin up very quickly with very good top end speed. For some reason the setup with the magnets reversed out preformed the other setup in all test runs... The times were in the low 3.3's on the UK Black... Strong!
    Jeff, go for it man! Shameless plugs are what it's about....it might be a plug, but it's also information for racers. Thanks Bill for posting information about hemi winding, I seem to remember that the wind pattern had everything to do with it...funny how not crossing at the comm tab you also get not crossing the leadwires! Also funny how Jeff you mention the sound of these arms. I haven't taken the Hornet and Contender up to Frank's yet (Sunday it will be) but for sure on the analyzer they sound like the slotcar equivalent of the Mazda rotary engine. They are really LOUD on the analyzer....kind of scared me actually....
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

does the atom arms come in a 16d flavor????? about a .560 ???? if it does, I need to get one or two and try it out in my nascar up here in Idaho....
    Jim Dalton
    Bone Bodies

ISCC
    Dub Motors
    PMP Chassis
    3rd Eye controllers
    jd102454@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by jdracer View Post
    does the atom arms come in a 16d flavor????? about a .560 ???? if it does, I need to get one or two and try it out in my nascar up here in Idaho....
    Jim Atom arms does have a .560 16d arm he also have a very nice speed fx production motor also. epoxied mags very well built for a production Motor
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

How or what magnets do you use to open a air gap to .560 or .562 to use a .540 arm? The largest magna hone I see are .535 and you can only take so much with a magna hone with out abusing it. from what I understand?
    Thanks
    Would you use these type of magnets or this thickness of magnets.

Koford Matched .450 long x .150 thick C can magnets (Radial Orientation)
    Matched .450 long x .150 thick C can magnets with original orientation. These magnets are recommended for scale cars especially with 8t 64p or 9t 72p pinions.
    $
    Last edited by Flyin Brian; 01-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    How or what magnets do you use to open a air gap to .560 or .562 to use a .540 arm? The largest magna hone I see are .535 and you can only take so much with a magna hone with out abusing it. from what I understand?
    Thanks
    Would you use these type of magnets or this thickness of magnets.

Koford Matched .450 long x .150 thick C can magnets (Radial Orientation)
    Matched .450 long x .150 thick C can magnets with original orientation. These magnets are recommended for scale cars especially with 8t 64p or 9t 72p pinions.
    $
    Hi Greg, I use a .560" hone. With something like a Cahoza production set up which starts at .530" (I think) I first use my .535", then the .550" and finish up with the .560". I use a rechargeable drill, slow speed lots of torque. Hold under a slow stream of cold, refreshing water like a pristine babbling alpine brook....oops, sorry, it's me that's babbling... OK, after the .560" with the drill, I switch over to Mr. Dremel and give the mags a nice polish at higher speed.

You can play around with different magnets to find what suits you best. Cahoza makes a T2 and T5. The Kofords you mention are all really good, but I think I prefer the regular orientation, not the radial. For a .540" armature (Pro Slot or ATOM) I always recommend high timing, 42-45 degrees, and always use a 7 tooth pinion. I never use a 9T unless I am racing on a Blue King or Hillclimb (which I don't). I find the 8T is really good on a small block...Koford .518" arm, .530-.540 airgap. The Kofords seem to like the taller gearing for some reason. Good torque. The big arms love to spin freely. I ran 7T on the Twister in Seattle and on the Super 8 at the Philadelphia race....both of those tracks are (were) very long straightaways. Hope this helps Flyin.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Jim, I heard last night that Atom 16d's have been kicking butt in Monday night racing at SpeedZone here in New Jersey... You can PM Bill to check availability.
    Balanced by Bill

Like George, I use a couple of hones to get to .560. I use a .540, a .550, and then a .560 hone. I also have a .555, if I want to try a tighter air gap. But I have found that with a X12 blank I want the .560 air gap. With a Contender the .555 actually worked about the same as the .560 so I haven't been using it lately. Most of my testing has been with the Bagged Cahoza setups with T2's. I DO have 2 setups with T5's though. And soon I will also have some with ProSlot Mega III's , Koford's, and Mura Red Dots.

I hope to have 4 motors built with S16C's, 2 with Contenders, and 4 with X12's done before the Nat's at Frank's.
    Gary Johnson

Gary, what cans do you plan on putting the various magnets in?
    Last edited by Jeff714; 01-12-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    Balanced by Bill

I only build with Cahoza cans any more. Mostly because I typically buy the prebuilt setups. If I buy new cans, I'll likely go with the U can. The U is lighter than an O and heavier than the UL, but has less magnetic flux capability than the O. The O is a little heavier but gives a stronger magnetic field. I have a mixture of O, U, and UL setups right now. I can't say that I have a preference for one over the other.

One thing about the Cahoza cans is that they are great to work with. They are always straight out of the bag, and the endbells are awesome. You can take an end bell off of one can and put it on another and not have to worry that you need to re-hone the magnets as they are very accurate. So to me, the little extra I might spend on them actually makes them less expensive in the long run!

For the new motors, I will buy the empty can and some new endbells, then epoxy the mags in with Koford Black.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff714 View Post
    The competition in Jersey better look out there is a new super team that has formed and is looking to dominate!!
    Robert Geibel
    TEAM BLACK TOWEL
    Power by Mic Byrd & ChaChing Motors.
    Garden State Isra/Usa
    Garden State Isra Club, Bayville NJ
    Retro East
    Retro Chassis by JRM Chassis

Rumor also has it there going to chicago to flex there muscle.
    Robert Geibel
    TEAM BLACK TOWEL
    Power by Mic Byrd & ChaChing Motors.
    Garden State Isra/Usa
    Garden State Isra Club, Bayville NJ
    Retro East
    Retro Chassis by JRM Chassis

Quote Originally Posted by Rcg Racing View Post
    The competition in Jersey better look out there is a new super team that has formed and is looking to dominate!!
    Team of six to take down one guy?
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215