Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Yea new super team. thought I had hooked up with super team last year but turns out it was only super for the guys who got free motor work.
    Last edited by Mic Byrd; 01-13-2012 at 04:00 AM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Jerry it may take six of them but it only took one of me!!
    Robert Geibel
    TEAM BLACK TOWEL
    Power by Mic Byrd & ChaChing Motors.
    Garden State Isra/Usa
    Garden State Isra Club, Bayville NJ
    Retro East
    Retro Chassis by JRM Chassis

I don't understand what team is what...
    All i can say is Mic has been on the front of the curve with knowledge and ability to build really reliable and fast motors,and now chassie's
    The lastes bulldog 3 he built for me is hands down the best car ive had in years..

Thanks Mic for everything you do to keep the sport going in the right direction, we need more people like MIc and Lou P.
    they would give the shirt off there back and help you before they do something for themselves

MIC BYRD POWER & Chassie FOR LIFE!!!!!

**we need not to forget those that came before us**
    Last edited by Jerzey JayRo; 01-13-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    Jay Rogers
    Mic Byrd .....PowerPlants!!!!
    GARDEN STATE ISRA
    CRUSH GRAPHIXS...custom numbers and paint masks... just ask
    Balance By Bill Bugenis !!!!
    www.TheISraUsa.com

A Bulldog 3 GT12 sat on my bench last night awaiting help. It's becoming apparent that the USRA configuration with the low downforce body is going to require some careful thought and a lot of work to come up with just the right motor. Last Sunday I tested a motor that was pulling five amps at three volts, normally referred to as a "monster". And sure enough, once I was at the track and took some laps it was quite a lot of horsepower....probably fine for an Audi 10, but way too much for an Audi 18, Audi 8, BMW, etc. Way too much of a handfull. Pulled the motor last night and yanked the shunts off for starters....might be better to eliminate shunts. In my experience they are great for massive horsepower adding more amp draw and more power in general. The unshunted motors we run in NORCAL don't quite pull as much amperage and drive a bit softer. I yanked the shunts and shortened the brushes, then took a little more tension off the springs. Now it is pulling 4 amps at 3 volts which is great without the shunts.

The chassis was also asking for attention, so I pulled out the crossbar and spent a little time tidying it up with some Scotchbrite, then reassembled it. Tonight I'll get the motor back in the chassis and finish it up for some more testing on Sunday. Also more time to gain familiarity with Mr. FETroller.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzey JayRo View Post
    I don't understand what team is what...
    All i can say is Mic has been on the front of the curve with knowledge and ability to build really reliable and fast motors,and now chassie's
    The lastes bulldog 3 he built for me is hands down the best car ive had in years..

Thanks Mic for everything you do to keep the sport going in the right direction, we need more people like MIc and Lou P.
    they would give the shirt off there back and help you before they do something for themselves

MIC BYRD POWER & Chassie FOR LIFE!!!!!

**we need not to forget those that came before us**
    Jay, I couldn't agree with you more. I follow your guys race series, seems to be one of the best in the country. Have you heard anything about an ISRA Nats for this year? I really enjoyed the race in Phillie. Good to see you, Casey, Fred, Mic, Jeff, Lou and Marybeth...you guys are blessed with a terrific community of slotracers.

Gary, Thanks for the feedback on the Cahoza cans. Good stuff man! I've used all 3 variations and haven't seen any difference on the track to this point.
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

I have moved away from all of the Cahoza Aluminum hardware. I don't like how it expands around the brush when it gets hot. I only run the Bronze/Copper Proslot hardware on all my motors.

I have also used all three of the the different cans. The only big benefit is the weight savings in the back of the car.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    I have moved away from all of the Cahoza Aluminum hardware. I don't like how it expands around the brush when it gets hot. I only run the Bronze/Copper Proslot hardware on all my motors.
    Yeah, I was just telling CRASH CODGER to change over to the Pro Slot hardware. He's been running the pricey gold Cahoza hardware and plans to attend the Nats, so he has to convert over to USRA approved hardware. Pro Slot has the perfect conversion kit if you have the gold hardware, they sell the hoods and plates only so you reuse the screws and spring cups. Mike I must agree that the Cahoza aluminum stuff is not a good choice. It does expand, I find the brushes hung up too much, and it is pretty brittle. The Pro Slot copper stuff has really good alignment, the brushes stay free and the alignment is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Yeah, I was just telling CRASH CODGER to change over to the Pro Slot hardware. He's been running the pricey gold Cahoza hardware and plans to attend the Nats, so he has to convert over to USRA approved hardware. Pro Slot has the perfect conversion kit if you have the gold hardware, they sell the hoods and plates only so you reuse the screws and spring cups. Mike I must agree that the Cahoza aluminum stuff is not a good choice. It does expand, I find the brushes hung up too much, and it is pretty brittle. The Pro Slot copper stuff has really good alignment, the brushes stay free and the alignment is good.
    I agree even the Cahoza Nickle plated stuff is poop.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

He's been running the pricey gold Cahoza hardware and plans to attend the Nats, so he has to convert over to USRA approved hardware.
    Are you saying the gold hardware isn't approved? Since when do we get down to the end bell hardware for approvals? That is like saying you can only use Brand X bearing in the cans!
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Are you saying the gold hardware isn't approved? Since when do we get down to the end bell hardware for approvals? That is like saying you can only use Brand X bearing in the cans!
    There are two versions of the hardware. The one with the heat sink is not approved it never came on a motor. For parts to be legal they have to Come on a complete motor that is submitted to the USRA for appoval. It has always been that way. parts are not approved per part.

Back in the day around 2002 you could not mix and match company parts.
    Last edited by mazur50; 01-13-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Sr
    got to test the new dog-3 tonight gear 7/40 72p tires at .635 had to cut the rear cross bar motor mount to get motor to sit right but not bad . motor sits very flat with a solid gear mess .ran for 20 or 30 laps running easy 3.4's didn't push it to hard had some traffic on the track .testing cut a little short when a racer put his car down right in front of me coming down main straight flat out .chassis took the hit very well not a mark wish I can say that about the new r-10 body will be mounting a new 1 in the morning.First test was very good will be racing it tomorrow.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Sr
    got to test the new dog-3 tonight gear 7/40 72p tires at .635 had to cut the rear cross bar motor mount to get motor to sit right but not bad . motor sits very flat with a solid gear mess .ran for 20 or 30 laps running easy 3.4's didn't push it to hard had some traffic on the track .testing cut a little short when a racer put his car down right in front of me coming down main straight flat out .chassis took the hit very well not a mark wish I can say that about the new r-10 body will be mounting a new 1 in the morning.First test was very good will be racing it tomorrow.
    Wow Mic, good report but a mixed bag with the accident. Sounds like the Jerry123 incident at the 2008 Scale Nats except it was during the warm up to the race...his car got totaled. Bad deal. Fortunately your's was a test session. On the Dog 3, what were you running for weights (if any), rail size (.047"?) any rear steer? You're jigged to a 40T it sounds like, and you like it? Anyway, good luck in the race. Which track are you running on, is it the UK Black? That's my guess with running a 3.4. I'll keep an eye out for results.

Right now I'm breaking in a new 45 degree Contender arm for run-in on Sunday. Gotta email the Old Man and see where my two Contenders are that I mailed him the first week of the year. OK, signing off.....

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Wow Mic, good report but a mixed bag with the accident. Sounds like the Jerry123 incident at the 2008 Scale Nats except it was during the warm up to the race...his car got totaled. Bad deal. Fortunately your's was a test session.
    Yes...how could I forget that little incident. Since that race I have a totally different approach to the warm ups, most of the time.
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry123 View Post
    Yes...how could I forget that little incident. Since that race I have a totally different approach to the warm ups, most of the time.
    Haa haaaa haaaaaa, yes you do! I do too Jerry. My incident was during warm up for the 1/32 F1 race...got tangled up in a senseless mess and it took out my gear. Race started and there I was in the pits changing the stupid crown gear. I too am very careful during warm ups, they are really dangerous!

I was just sitting at the bench working on the Contender motor and the lighting was hitting these two pairs of worn tires perfectly, and the camera picks up a lot of detail. Rubber on the left is the new stuff we've been talking about....super open pores, really soft but really loose. Tires on the right are the regular good stuff from before. What a difference!

DSCN4539 by svtgeorge, on Flickr