Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Bill, I'm not sure how touching up the arm stacks will help alleviate the movement. All I can see is it would knock off the tips of the bent out stack corners that are sticking up. Makes sense to do this and have it rebalanced, but it sure would be nice if the corners of the stacks didn't lift in the first place. I haven't seen it with Camen and Valiko arms which is what I mostly use. Actually I have a PK 19t25 right now that is really good, and this has not happened to the stacks. I've put quite a few runs on it too.
    Just reporting on what Vladimir and the boys do - they don't seem to have issues. On euro arms that I make, we noted that they swell about 0.0005" after the first run, less and less after that. We have been O.D. grinding at each teardown.

Bill, interesting comment on the laminations. Usually I don't see this happening unless I have had a magnet break and it strikes the edge of the stack as it let's go.

I love my PK arms! I have never had a bad one. I have worn out too many of them though!
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Bill, interesting comment on the laminations. Usually I don't see this happening unless I have had a magnet break and it strikes the edge of the stack as it let's go.

I love my PK arms! I have never had a bad one. I have worn out too many of them though!
    I know it seems counter-intuitive, but it looks as though controling the small movements seems to also limit the gross movement that George describes. We spit some lams before we started grinding but none since. Not conclusive, but as good an inference as we can make.

Bill

Last night got two R10s mounted on Hermanator's eurosports, both mounts went without any technical protests. So, all his stuff is done and now on to my cars. Mine is pretty much ready to go, I just tested it on Sunday. The only thing I want to do is pull a really stout motor out of another GT12 and put the lump into my Tazer. The Tazer works so well on Frank's Testarossa that I really haven't come close to overpowering that chassis. As it is, there is so much of the track punched I think it could use more horsepower. Even the esses over on the right side of the track are practically full punch. When this race is over, I'm going to put a eurosport motor in the Tazer to see how it runs. I asked Richard if he had any plans to make a Tazer eurosport with modified cobalt rear section. I have tried a euro motor in a Bulldog and it ran 3.3s on the Testarossa, only .3 off the Mack eurosport. Anyway, I digress, just need to load the faster lump into the Tazer then go up there on Saturday. Wife is out of town, so I will have to feed the beagles around 2:30pm and leave for the rest of the day. Better get going now...

How many beagles??

got most of my cars ready will be racing N.E Isra at Lou Pirro's on the Isra N.A Championship track to bad surface is not done yet will have to make 1 more trip before July after track is resurfaced.Good luck all
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    How many beagles??

The Beagles

Brink them to the nats.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

George-
    A wise man once told me- "beagles are for feeding and bagels are for eatin'n" It is easy to remember because if you feed the bagel, it won't eat!
    Anon
    Asking all things relevant-

Jason, you don't know how true that saying is! Last night, I put a different motor into the Tazer. Interesting motor, a four hole Kelly, Koford magnets at 535 and a Koford arm at 38 degrees. The lower timing is a bit unusual for me, I normally run at least 40 degrees. But, this seems to move the car along very quickly. We'll see how it runs tomorrow. Also need to switch around some stuff for 24 Euro, I'm pulling the PK 95 out of the new Camen 455T single mag set up and going to pop it into the new Camen 480T single mag set up...I haven't tried that combo yet...I'll put that in the Chicago Horky chassis. Looking forward to racing tomorrow!

Slotcar Racer
    on your tazer do you have it built with the guide spacer in or out . I have to use a full size guide because of the spacer was wondering if you took it out could you then use a cut down?
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Saturday night racing at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif., I had the "variety pack", 1st, 2nd and 3rd. GT12 got 1st, Eurosport got 2nd, 32 Euro got 3rd. I was real happy with both GT12 and 24 Euro, but 32 Euro was not very good. I'll start with 32 Euro and get it out of the way first.

We had only six entries in 32 Euro. PG and I ran the ISRA body, the others ran the Reynard high downforce, so PG and I showed up with butter knives at a gunfight. I ran my back up car, not my Nats/Worlds car. It was a shake down for the rebuilt practice car, I wanted to see how she went after cleaning it up. I did freshen up the Worlds motor and it was stout. PG ran Piero's new chassis. I think I'll need one of those, it seemed to have massive grip with the low downforce body. My old Horky was just loose, loose, loose, especially with tall tires. I probably should have put on small tires after the first heat (we did not follow ISRA procedures!) because by the last two heats on low tires the car was really good. PG won, Jason got 2nd with my 2006 Nats car (Mosetti) I came in third. On tall tires, I came off too many times especially in the first heat. And on the red lane, the car would just launch going into the donut, a place where normally you should be able to punch it all the way around to the “90”. I didn't wreck with anyone, mostly my own offs…my bad.

In GT12 I used the Tazer with a motor I pulled out of an old Slick 7 chassis. I’m still wondering why I did that, it was a terrible motor! It did 3.73 on yellow when I got there for practice, but with 8 cars on the track it died. However, the Tazer is so good, I could practically punch the whole track and it stayed on really well....even an imbecile like me could drive it. I also tested Bulldog #1 when I got there, but it was too tight and did strange helicopter acrobatics. A lot of guys thought the track too tight, I saw other cars doing crazy back flips too! Anyway, as is often the case, as the race was a round robin, it was not clear who the contenders were until a few heats from the end and I knew I would be in the hunt, but as is often the case, Ryan McDaniel was leading by two laps with two heats to go. He started the next to last heat on orange, and I was on green. I held him off, he never passed me in that heat. Then, I went to blue and he went to white. I had to get it done in three minutes and I did it by 10 feet when the bell rang!! Cool win, good race, Ryan is a great competitor...watch for him at the Scale Nats

The 24 Euro race was awesome. Chris Chakires won, me 2nd, Jason 3rd....all three running the ubiquitous new Horky chassis!! Herman did reasonably well with his Finland Horky, but something must have happened that I still haven’t figured out. His car was blazing fast on orange. Chakires was running a freshened up Lee Gilbert car with the Speedshop “Mystery Motor”...a vertical multi magnet configuration. I don’t know what Jason had for a motor, but it was stout and he is a very fine eurosport racer. I just got out horsepowered slightly by the Mystery Motor, not by much, but enough to lose a lap per heat going when he was running two lanes inside of me…he started black and I started yellow...we were side by side a lot of the first heat, I was pulling him a little which I know made him push really hard. I knew I had reserve for the end when the tires went down and ran 9 feet in the first two heats. Chris and I drove good clean races without too many wrecks. I ran my new 480 tall single mag Camen set up with a PK 19t25 arm reconditioned by Camen. Coming down from red, I could pull him slightly, so he started to drive the wheels off his car keeping up with me with eight more feet of track to cover. As a result, in the last heat, I was on black, he was on purple and he had blown his tires off and was falling off. But he held it together and won in the end….reminded me a bit of Greg Gilbert’s 32 Euro win. Even though I got beat, it was a good honest 2nd place, Chris was on his game and he had a fast Lee Gilbert freshened car...oh yeah, I forgot, he ran the big long Audi R10….I used the ISRA body….oh well….gotta go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Slotcar Racer
    on your tazer do you have it built with the guide spacer in or out . I have to use a full size guide because of the spacer was wondering if you took it out could you then use a cut down?
    Mic, not sure what you mean. I just use a cut down guide on my Tazer with no spacers at all. On Frank's track, you want any Mack chassis to pretty much be .005" above the track...they work a lot better slammed.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Mic, not sure what you mean. I just use a cut down guide on my Tazer with no spacers at all. On Frank's track, you want any Mack chassis to pretty much be .005" above the track...they work a lot better slammed.
    the UK black I run on has .015 braid recess with cut down flag I still need .020 of spacers to get ride height. So it seems my tazer sits a little higher then yours . the chassis works great once I get it right but seamed odd to me because my mack open 12 chassis need no spacers for same track.
    Last edited by Mic Byrd; 02-14-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Nice write up on the racing George! Sounds like your 24 Euro race went about like mine. Alicia kicked my butt again! See my write up in the PSCR series thread.
    Gary Johnson