Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I was all packed up to go flat track racing at Bristolville.
    Then the snow came.
    The dog and I are hunkered down at home tonight instead of on the road.

SR
    The chassis is set up with rails all the way back .047 rails pan weights and winglets no weights in them.Your guess was right we are running on the uk black at the Garden State Isra Club and I do like the 40t gearing the chassis seems more connected to the track that way. my other 1 is good jigged at 43t but the new 1 at 40 seems a lot more stable through the turns the tires I have on it where just a pair that were already run on another car just cut them down and get a second race out of them need to conserve rubber where we can.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

That new rubber looks like crap. Imagine running treaded tires against slicks in 1 to 1 racing, the same results here. Back in the early 90s when we still used colored rubber Camen had some tan rubber that had very large pores and worked great with glue. However, they sucked if you tried to run them without glue and they would gather up track crud or clag as the F1 guys call it in a hurry. Closed cell /small pore rubber seems to be the best in non-glue racing. Who knows I may be proven wrong but history tells a different tale.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

SR
    first race for x-25 c-11 .030 pans and 2ND place with a soft motor the chassis was outstanding great combo.Dog 3 was also great until I did a late motor change and couldn't get gear mess right before tech close missed 12 race but will have it ready for end of month garden State Isra Series at the Speedzone.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    first race for x-25 c-11 .030 pans and 2ND place with a soft motor the chassis was outstanding great combo.Dog 3 was also great until I did a late motor change and couldn't get gear mess right before tech close missed 12 race but will have it ready for end of month garden State Isra Series at the Speedzone.
    Mic, good results in B Prod, sounds like you hit it just right with your motor and chassis combo. With time you can try some other motors in it and see how you like it. Truth be told, I don't have that combo any more, I have two X25s with .025" C11 pans and one X25 stock two piece. The GTP for the Nats is also an X25 with .025" pans, that's my fourth and final flexi chassis. Just curious, what motor did you run in B Prod?

Big OOPS on the Open 12 car! I've done the same thing before and have kicked myself. In my case, it was that kind of thinking that if I could only find that motor that's "The Magic Bullet". I think we've all done it at least once! Mic, don't do that!!!! Did the motor die or something, or did you just feel it wasn't good enough to race? Oh well!

I got my 10 mag back from Vlado today in the mail....7 days from Slovakia! The overseas air mail is really quite fast. I was real lucky I got it as it was addressed to house 695....my local post office crossed that out and put in big numbers 659! God bless my post office.

I just pulled the Valiko 84.5 out of the .480T Mystery Set Up....it was time to true the comm, and so I am going to try that arm in the 10 mag tomorrow. That 10 mag has always been my favorite, I used it with a 22/24.5 in the Slugfest last year. Really smooth and fast. Report to follow.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

[QUOTE=Slotcar Racer;284870]Mic, good results in B Prod, sounds like you hit it just right with your motor and chassis combo. With time you can try some other motors in it and see how you like it. Truth be told, I don't have that combo any more, I have two X25s with .025" C11 pans and one X25 stock two piece. The GTP for the Nats is also an X25 with .025" pans, that's my fourth and final flexi chassis. Just curious, what motor did you run in B Prod?

SR I ran a cahoza ul can with t-5's .560 hole BOW cont arm 45*this was the 3rd race on it I think it's run enough for a trip for balancing LOL It was a little flat but still better then most others on the track. I normally have 5 or 6 b pro motors ready to go and 5 or 6 12 motors btu lack of time and to much other racer motor work has taking a toll on my motor program.

Big OOPS on the Open 12 car! I've done the same thing before and have kicked myself. In my case, it was that kind of thinking that if I could only find that motor that's "The Magic Bullet". I think we've all done it at least once! Mic, don't do that!!!! Did the motor die or something, or did you just feel it wasn't good enough to race? Oh well!

the12 car was very good the way it was maybe a tenth or 2 slower then the fastest cars thought I could pick up a tenth with the motor change but that gear mess with the 7/40 can be a little finicky in hind site should have left it alone and just run it .
    The next 2 weeks will be all prep for my program all my motors will be rebuilt and fresh going to be a little more selfish with my time and get my motor program back to where it should be and was at 1 time.
    Last edited by Mic Byrd; 01-14-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Does anyone have any experience with Racing a Pro slot mini can 12. What gear ratio to run in my BD3 chassis. (Flat track)
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Racing a Pro slot mini can 12. What gear ratio to run in my BD3 chassis. (Flat track)
    Good question for CRASH Brian, unless anybody else can answer this question. I have almost no experience with mini can motors.

Well, now I've gone and done it again....time to get out the camera. The 1/24 Horky eurosport ran fast time today on orange, so this evening I decided to tear it all apart to make it faster. "Slotcar Racer Think". Sure enough, after getting it down to the barest of elements, found some stuff wrong with it. One of the rails was not centering at the rear, it was loading against the inside of the chassis. I bent that outward and now it centers. The other rail was bent upward, but it centered fine. Gotta check the pans and the center section for flatness tomorrow when I'm not so tired. Good session today at SCR. Gawronski and Hermanator were there. Mostly ran on orange. Frank is going to have an additional Rivergate power supply added in for the Nats Warm Up next week, many thanks to him for making that investment for the racers.

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    I re-read my question and it was quite cryptic, LOL, let me try again. I have an AB Slotsport 2011 chassis that I REALLY struggled with. Like Multiracer says, it is WAY too bitey. Lou and I scratched our heads with it a bit but moved on to other projects before we got it to settle down. I was about to steal the guide nut off it when I left it down (wife called for some help). Getting back to my bench I picked up the chassis and had a think about what might help it. The biggest observation is that the cross bar allows MASSIVE up and down pan movement. I shoved a few pieces of bulletproof in here and there to see what I could put in to calm this down. Funny reading back through Andy's response on the other thread, I did exactly what he suggested (0.025" wire on the inside of the pans and across the top of the bar to the spine). Movement now feels on par with other cars (BD2, Mack OG12 and BS-10), but I'm wondering if it will increase bite (if so I can run 1/2 front o-ring wheels on this for rear tires!).

Car is built and ready (medium firm tires on mag rims and a Rf Acura shoved way forward). Results to follow next Monday...
    It's a bit weird to quote myself, but as it is now 5 pages back I have no choice.

The car turns out to be quite a diamond in the rough with the 3 little pieces added! It was so smooth that I had no hesitation to race it. It does not like soft tires or even a mid mounted body, but set-up as in the quote it was really good.

Now is the hard part, my driving really needs to take a BIG step forward. I am too inconstant, especially between the gutter and the middle of the track. It's time for some head-down work to get driving better! I need a closer flat track...
    Phil Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    It's a bit weird to quote myself, but as it is now 5 pages back I have no choice.

The car turns out to be quite a diamond in the rough with the 3 little pieces added! It was so smooth that I had no hesitation to race it. It does not like soft tires or even a mid mounted body, but set-up as in the quote it was really good.

Now is the hard part, my driving really needs to take a BIG step forward. I am too inconstant, especially between the gutter and the middle of the track. It's time for some head-down work to get driving better! I need a closer flat track...
    By adding your quote Phil, it helps me get the reference back to what you were originally talking about. Actually, it makes perfect sense that Andy would have played around with his own chassis to the point where he can pass along the modifications to customers. Sounds like you got it to work really well, good enough for third place, attaboy! Looks like Casey set sail and disappeared into the sunset as usual. Hmmmm, Montreal eh? Sounds like a long drive to get to any flat tracks. Once Lou is up and running again, is his raceway the closest to you with a flat track? The only other thing I can think of is to spend one or two motel nights and get in some concentrated practice on the track that's being raced on.

Yep, Lou's is my "home track". Got quite good on the Super8 last winter. I'm planning on going to the Speedzone in Jersey in a couple weeks and will try to get in some practice on Saturday.

The car was really good, very smooth and really easy on tires (what with harder rubber and I'm generally easy on tire wear too). I put up a picture of the simple mods on the thread in Flat Track.
    Phil Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    I know of no place where the mini can is legal for racing with 12 arms currently. Does your raceway allow these?

As a general rule, you are going to run a pretty low gear ratio, somewhere around 7/43... I see no reason the mini motor would be geared any differently than a standard GT12.
    Gary Johnson

Our club (fresno Hobbytown)allows mini can 12 in our GT 12 cars we run also Big Dogs in our Gt12 cars big dog runs really good. I tried 7/41 it was ok 4.4 but it needs to run 4.1 I am trying 8/43 sunday before the novice race. Tomorrow at open practice I will run a big dog in a Hawk can for our club race next wensday, I will see how it goes.
    Go fast or go Home.

I have been playing with mini can motors, the Big Dog is very fast and would be a great spec motor.
    I also have a Hawk/Koford 12 that runs well.
    These low cost motors run very well against higher priced C Can motors.
    They aren`t any lighter but they fit really nicely in the cars.
    I would like to see them made legal in USRA and ISRA.