Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    I have been playing with mini can motors, the Big Dog is very fast and would be a great spec motor.
    I also have a Hawk/Koford 12 that runs well.
    These low cost motors run very well against higher priced C Can motors.
    They aren`t any lighter but they fit really nicely in the cars.
    I would like to see them made legal in USRA and ISRA.
    Ya lets introduce more motors into the mix that is a great idea. Once people start racing them there will be ultra light versions of the mini motors. This would not solve any problems that the USRA is facing now.

And the Mini motor is legal for the Garden State Series in the 1/32 class.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Key word in Flem's post is 'spec' motor...

Might have some potential, particularlt at the regional series level.

LM

Quote Originally Posted by larrymatt View Post
    Key word in Flem's post is 'spec' motor...

Might have some potential, particularlt at the regional series level.

LM
    The Mini motor is already on the list as a option spec handout motor for LMP in the USRA
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Since SR already said he had no experience with mini motors this topic should be moved from here to its own thread and discussed there .I would be more then happy to discuss our findings in the Garden State Isra Series with the mini motors.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

While SR has indicated an admitted lack of expertise with "mini" motors...

He has, on at least one occasion, clearly demonstrated his distinctly unique methods, while exhibiting his preference for dealing with Falcon motors...

PK @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

And I believe the entire car... body and chassis,was also in two pieces... LOL

Mic: I would be interested in hearing your findings concerning mini motors in ISRA racing. Here, or in a separate thread...

I would add that Tri-State ISRA runs the Falcons in JRL and B-Production... separate 'Light' classes, but often raced together with the C-cans. Fields in both classes are about even, and the Falcon classes have increased overall series participation. Not a bad thing...

LM

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    While SR has indicated an admitted lack of expertise with "mini" motors...

He has, on at least one occasion, clearly demonstrated his distinctly unique methods, while exhibiting his preference for dealing with Falcon motors...

PK @ OWH

I believe Paul has illustrated very clearly my knowledge of mini motors, and at the same time how much I love them....I think this motor is from a race at Pacific Slot Car Raceways where I raced one of these worthless gutless lumps in an LMP. Yeah people, don't bother talking about this stuff on this thread. My preference is for building motors, and for motor builders. Not interested in some lump of metal in a bag.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Ahhh c'mon SR - tell us how you really feel...

I think you are perhaps being a bit modest, however. The fine attention to detail, while completing such a perfectly straight bi-sectional surgery by Dremel... exhibits at least a moderate amount of skills, as well as an obvious amount of appreciation, in demonstrating your ability to tune these "worthless gutless lumps" to your liking.

At least we have established yet another clever application for the never-ending usefulness of the Dremel tool and the ever-handy cut-off discs, for working on slot cars.

So.... how about them GT-12's & Eurosports???
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Don't know if I asked you about this or not George. When we were at Philly I had 2 motors that wouldn't start on their own they needed a push almost every time I stopped the car. They were Proslot 540 Contender 45 degree arms in Red Fox cans with Camen magnets and Proslot endbells with PS hardware, SBF II brushes and Camen 5 coil springs (light). The motors were bored out to .560. I also had 2 other setups exactly the same but with BOW Contender .540 arms and they didn't have this trouble. When I got home I looked at the motors more carefully and noticed they were dead shorting between the brushes. I then narrowed the brushes to see if this made a difference. It did, the motor ran fine and never dead shorted again no matter how many times I turned it on and off. I noticed that another racer was having this problem at Philly (Mike Mazur) and he was also running Proslot arms. Maybe Mike could chime in on this issue to see if he cured the problem. Since I know narrow brushes cured the problem I just might run vertical hardware and brushes with these two arms. I also took what I thought were pertinent measurements on each armature. Here they are

BOW Arm (.540) Dia .540 Crown width .360-.365 space between crown edges .155-.160
    PS Arm (.540) Dia .538 Crown width .345-.347 space between crown edges .178-.180

What this showed me is that even though the setups were the same the wider crown of the Bow arm would not allow the arm to settle in such a way that a single crown segment would be spanning both the north and south magnet tips there by allowing the pos and neg brushes to contact the same com segment and creating the dead short. The narrower crown of the Proslot arm allowed this to happen almost every time it was stopped. After thinking about it for awhile I realized there could be another cure for this problem besides using vertical brushes. Using a setup that has north and south magnet tips that are closer together. Doing this would allow the smaller crown arm to act the same way. Some mechanical trickery. I sure would like to here if anyone else has had this problem and how they cured it.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Good question for CRASH Brian, unless anybody else can answer this question. I have almost no experience with mini can motors.
    Hey Brian I've played around with them and at our local track at tnt raceway in modesto, I've ran them with a 64 pitch gear and 72 pitch,both are pretty good for 64 pitch ran a 6 pinion,with a 36 spur gear ,and 72 pitch ran a 7 pinion with a 42 16' spur running a constant 3.8 to 4.0 hopefully this helps out Greg
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

Freddie,

I would like to know how small the comm was on the two arms that you had problems with. In my experience, I don't see this problem until the comm has been cut to nearly the end of its life. This makes the brushes wrap farther around the comm and causes your situation. I don't think it has to do with the width of the stacks, but the diameter of the comm.
    Gary Johnson

I have also seen this happen with arm's have have to much timing. Make sure you have a neutral endbell and the magnets are in 90Deg to the brush hardware. You may have say a 47deg arm and could have 5deg advance in the magnets.

Mike
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Fred saw this problem once and it was the brush hoods the brushes where wearing in long on 1 side because of the miss aligned brush hoods and it would short across 2 segments and the back brush would short across the other 2 segment . so 1 coil was shorting and would not allow arm to turn
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

SR
    what ever happen to that f-1 proto type Mack chassis have been thinking about building 1 and would like to here some thoughts as to which 1 to build I know you can't get the horky in kit form so that 1 is out I want to build it
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    That new rubber looks like crap. Imagine running treaded tires against slicks in 1 to 1 racing, the same results here. Back in the early 90s when we still used colored rubber Camen had some tan rubber that had very large pores and worked great with glue. However, they sucked if you tried to run them without glue and they would gather up track crud or clag as the F1 guys call it in a hurry. Closed cell /small pore rubber seems to be the best in non-glue racing. Who knows I may be proven wrong but history tells a different tale.
    Yeah, Fred, looks like current history tells us the nice closed pore fish rubber rules in scale racing!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"