Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    See Mack2011 32 c can saloon chassis which you guys call a c can eurosport.
    Thanks Pat if you could do a picture on the other side with out the body it would be greatly appreciated
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

How do I fix this ?
    I won my first GT12 race tonight with my Bulldog 3 I built last week. it wasn't a close race 14 laps over 2nd and the rest of the guys I could have sat out the last rotation and won, but I drove horrible I wreck more times then I have in weeks. I was coming up on cars way to fast, the cars in the lanes next to me were going so slow in spots that I was able to hammer and the closing rate just killed me. How do you race against cars when your car is 1second or more faster a lap faster. I have to race them again on saturday and I want to 1) not kill my car 2) Drive the car hard but not run up on the back markers drill them. There cars have the same straight line speed but they just can't get through the corners. Then their are
    the good guys that brake check you to try to break your car to knock you out of the race. I need a better stategy.
    Any suggestions I'm all ears.
    Go fast or go Home.

The best place to pass is on the straights, even the short straights. Usually racers that have problems with the turns on a flat track will brake early at the end of the main straight. That is a good place to try to pass if you are on the inside but be careful if you are on the outside some racers will try to keep up. If your car is handling as well as you say an inside pass for you shouldn't cause them any problems, an outside pass could cause you to be taken out by an illhandling car on your inside. The best thing to do is observe them for 2-3 laps so you can see where they're most vulnerable for a pass atempt. Brake checking is something you must always be aware of. It's the first sign of a very inexperienced racer, or a very experienced racer getting even for a pass indiscression you did to him. Just remember like they say in the south "rubbin is racin".
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Brian
    You can add a little choke to your controller and slow it down a little it will give you more time to react to the slower traffic. You can even go as far as building a softer motor for it. SR talks about this very subject further back in this thread about the start of the norcal series .Its a hard thing to learn running in traffic with slower cars. patients on your part will be the biggest help like Fred said picking your place's.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    How do I fix this ?
    I won my first GT12 race tonight with my Bulldog 3 I built last week. it wasn't a close race 14 laps over 2nd and the rest of the guys I could have sat out the last rotation and won, but I drove horrible I wreck more times then I have in weeks. I was coming up on cars way to fast, the cars in the lanes next to me were going so slow in spots that I was able to hammer and the closing rate just killed me. How do you race against cars when your car is 1second or more faster a lap faster. I have to race them again on saturday and I want to 1) not kill my car 2) Drive the car hard but not run up on the back markers drill them. There cars have the same straight line speed but they just can't get through the corners. Then their are
    the good guys that brake check you to try to break your car to knock you out of the race. I need a better stategy.
    Any suggestions I'm all ears.
    Oh boy, I bet Uncle CRASH wasn't happy about this! Sounds like we have a new very good racer in our midst now, great job Brian! If you used to race HO cars, I bet you like these big ones better...so much easier to see!!! You obviously do not have any problems with making a car go fast, and you've already identified how to rework your racing strategy. When you start racing with NORCAL next weekend in Rocklin (yes, I am now making an assumption you will show up to that race....at least you should!) you will find the same issue only on a much larger scale. Gotta negotiate the traffic. Having the fastest car can be a good thing, but you have to control the urge to go TOO fast so you don't destroy your car. I better check my email to see if CRASH has sent me a message yet....should be a good one! Do you have an LMP yet for Rocklin? Yes, you have to go to the race in Rocklin.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    The best place to pass is on the straights, even the short straights. Usually racers that have problems with the turns on a flat track will brake early at the end of the main straight. That is a good place to try to pass if you are on the inside but be careful if you are on the outside some racers will try to keep up. If your car is handling as well as you say an inside pass for you shouldn't cause them any problems, an outside pass could cause you to be taken out by an illhandling car on your inside. The best thing to do is observe them for 2-3 laps so you can see where they're most vulnerable for a pass atempt. Brake checking is something you must always be aware of. It's the first sign of a very inexperienced racer, or a very experienced racer getting even for a pass indiscression you did to him. Just remember like they say in the south "rubbin is racin".
    You got this right Fred, from an experienced racer like yourself. The only other strategy is to try to see if the racers next to you will work with you to pass. This often works in our NORCAL series when Expert/Pro racers are mixed with Novice/Advanced guys...if you just have a quick chat with the guys next to you, you might be able to work out a deal to wait until the main chute to go by. That way everyone keeps their heads on their shoulders and it goes smoothly. If they think you're nuts, then you have more work on your hands and have to pass the harder way. Maybe the difference between the North and the South is in the North it's "discussin' is racin'" and in the South it's "rubbin' is racin'"......hmmm, maybe not

SR, Couldn't agree more. Heaven forbid that you talk to the guys on your right and left and tell them your coming and ask nicely to let you by. This aspect of slot racing is almost unheard of in flexi or flat track racing but happen all the time in wing car racing. However, sometimes I like to race against that knucklehead that won't work with you. That is when you go to school on him to show him where not to "park" his car. Unfortunately this often makes for really hard feelings.

I guess maybe I learned to drive in a different era, but letting the faster guy go by generally means a cleaner race for me and for him as well. That 1 blip on the track will save you a lot less time that having the turn marshal put you back in the slot...
    Last edited by wjdougherty; 01-26-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Will

Attitude of the 'new' breed of racer is that if you are faster than me... then pass me.

We have a big problem with this in our Penn-Ohio Retro Series.

Talking doesn't work...

LM

My perspective on this issue may be a little different so forgive me. I believe it is the responsibility of the passer or closer to pass safely and not hit the car in front of you. Thats the way it is in 1 to 1 racing so it should be in our world. Remember, you hit him from behind, he or she did not hit you from the front. I will explain more in rocklin if you are there, but as a newer racer it appears that you may be too focussed on where your car is rather than where it will be. Broaden your vision of the track and the cars in front of you. Some other good advise from above is to pace the car in front until you have the advantage. passing in the straight is fine but you said all of the cars had similar speed there so that may not be the best place that night. courtesy dictates the slower car yield, but it is not the rule....

Crash said he reworked his car and it wasn't right so he didn't race but after the race he said he would have got me due to the crashes I was in. He was right he would have beat me by 4-5 laps in my opinion. The beginer driver I can pass they are pretty corteous but the racers that are the fast guy's on the hill climb donot like that I came in upset the apple cart they always finished on the potium for last 5 years. I raced at home on my 85 foot 4 lane Revell and a 6 lane HO track for the last 30 years painted soldered with the same power they use at hobbytownand they would stop by and check it out but they thought the guy's I raced at home with were not legit but we would beat them at our place now Hobbytown has a flat track a few of us from or home racing club are making waves on thier turf.
    The fast guy's including Crash told me we aren't racing our good stuff we only bring that out for the money. I told them I'm racing my only stuff I have so if it's good or bad it's all I have. Needless to say they are not letting me pass easy I have to drive them off the track and watch them for the brake check move. They let Fred by and give me the hardest time.
    The new guy has to pay his dues
    I have to earn there respect they are not going to make it easy they already told me that.
    I known most of these guy's for years and raced with many in the past but I'm at there place now!

I wish I could make the Norcal race in Rocklin next week don't have enough good stuff to race with lol.
    I will be at the race in Modesto in march!
    Last edited by Flyin Brian; 01-26-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    Go fast or go Home.

Crash said he reworked his car and it wasn't right so he didn't race

Hmmm, sounds kind of funny....kind of like he was a bit worried if he raced....

but after the race he said he would have got me due to the crashes I was in.

Hmmm, that sounds even funnier....looks to me like you won the race

He was right he would have beat me by 4-5 laps in my opinion.

Hmmm, you sound very modest....but the fact is, you won, he decided not to race. Truth is, we don't know what would have happened.

The fast guy's including Crash told me we aren't racing our good stuff we only bring that out for the money.

Dang Brian, they are really dishing it out to you in big, big helpings!! How many times have I beaten somebody and he said, "oh, I was running my "C" car tonight. Very big helpings Brian.

The new guy has to pay his dues
    I have to earn there respect they are not going to make it easy they already told me that.
    I known most of these guy's for years and raced with many in the past but I'm at there place now!

Hmmm, sounds like kind of a weird place to race. When I was down there for the NORCAL race I didn't get the same impression. Sounds like you are just a good racer Brian, I wouldn't listen to nonsense like that. Just keep working on your cars, sounds like you're having a really good time. I heard back from CRASH and he was moaning about his leadwire not fitting under his Caddy, but that doesn't make sense because he has mounted about a million Caddys.

Last night I did some more preparation on cars for the Rocklin race next weekend. Got a couple of new Contenders back from reconditioning at Camen, loaded em up into a few Cahoza set ups and they are now on board in a couple of X25s. The R10 bodies don't look great, but they are in good enough condition to get through one more race weekend, then I need to paint some more for the March race at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif, site of the March NSCRA monthly race and the 2012 USRA Scale Nats a few weeks later.

On the subject of endbell hardware, I'm noticing that the Pro Slot hardware has more clearance for brushes than do the Cahoza brush hoods. As some have mentioned, the heat is the main culprit of sticky brushes, and perhaps the Cahoza hardware is designed more for the use of shunts whereas the Pro Slot is more oriented toward the lower end market without shunts. Personally, I am going to ditch the Cahoza stuff. Why? I don't like it. Why? I just don't. I am going to make it go away. Going to all Pro Slot hardware, it works well for me.

SR,

I completely agree with your comments regarding Cahoza's standard hardware. I have had way to many problems that trace back to them and in comparison I've had no problems with ProSlot hardware... They just works ever time!

I know the Cahoza Pro hardware isn't legal in your racing but it is here in IS RA Garden State. I have used them on a number on motors and they are much better than the base hardware but they too are very snug around the brushes and require a fair amount of work to avoid hangups. With that in mind I have also started replacing all my C cans with ProSlot hardware... I've also been using ProSlot Torx head endbell screws they're a hair longer and work very well with the Cahoza endbells.
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

I too have proslot hard wear but I use a proslot endbell on my cahoosa and I have had no problems with my contender. i was told it wasn't the way to go but I didn't listen.
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by topkat View Post
    My perspective on this issue may be a little different so forgive me. I believe it is the responsibility of the passer or closer to pass safely and not hit the car in front of you. Thats the way it is in 1 to 1 racing so it should be in our world. Remember, you hit him from behind, he or she did not hit you from the front. I will explain more in rocklin if you are there, but as a newer racer it appears that you may be too focussed on where your car is rather than where it will be. Broaden your vision of the track and the cars in front of you. Some other good advise from above is to pace the car in front until you have the advantage. passing in the straight is fine but you said all of the cars had similar speed there so that may not be the best place that night. courtesy dictates the slower car yield, but it is not the rule....
    I agree whole-heartedly with Herman's (topcat) perspective regarding racing & passing. I might add that "courtesy dictates the slower car yield" - really only applies to cars being lapped. If they are slower, but still in contention or racing with you for position - then it is "game on" - and you must EARN the pass, as Herman described. If, however, they are involved in their own battle for position, but not with you (ie: you are well ahead in first, but he is in a battle for second or third), then it is YOU who should be courteous in your passing. Yes - you are faster and want by, but why mess up his race just to get by?

On the other hand, it would be wise for him to just blip enough to let you by on the straight, and not risk getting taken out if you try to pass.

One of my most memorable races ever, was one where I was involved in a head to head duel for the win with Hermanator. I believe it was the 2002 Flats (???) It was the F1/Indy car race on the Canadian White track at South Hill Slots in Puyallup, WA. In the last heat, I was in the lead, in a close race where the top 4 were all in contention. Herman was charging hard and reeling me in, and spent the last minute pacing me trying to find a spot to get by. He was a bit faster, but no way was I going to just let him by for the win! He knew he was going to have to earn it!

As the clock wound down in the last few seconds, with the whole crowd watching our battle, Herman knew he had to make his move soon. I think he set up for a pass to out-break me at the end of the sweeper... which is VERY tricky on the Canadian White track - especially with open wheel Indy cars!!! This was also an OUTSIDE pass - but I think I must have had him covered on the other turns where he was was on my inside... Herman pushed it hard to outbreak me, and I pushed a bit harder to keep ahead, and he just touched my rear tire and went sailing! I swear I did not "break check" him, and I'm sure he knows it was all fair game. The power went off and I finished a lap ahead of Herman in second, with I believe Bill then Craig right behind us. A thrilling end to a great race!!!

I have been in many close races with Herman, (and many not so close races as well), and he has beaten me fair and square many times. That made this win over Herman not only extremely gratifying, but very memorable! Beating a racer of the caliber of the Hermanator, a multiple time National Champion, is a rare accomplishment, and much more treasured memory to me then when I have won a race easily by a bunch of laps.

Here's a tip.... whenever you get the opportunity... especially at a series race where there are many top racers like Fred, Herman, George, Paul G., etc... WATCH these guys race - in a race where you are not entered or heat you are not racing in. Watch how they pass, and also notice how they avoid crashes. Then, when you get the chance to race against these guys... try to "pace" them (even from several lanes apart), to get a feel for how deep they go, and how they react to crashes and passing situations. When you are next to them - try to pace them a few feet back, to get a feel for where & when they brake. I call this "trailer hitch" driving - like hooking on a tow chain to their trailer hitch.

You can learn a lot from watching as well as racing against these seasoned pro racers. You are very fortunate to have several great tracks in your area, and a very active racing series, and some of the top slot car drivers in the hobby!

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -