Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

That's an exciting story about the Indycar race at South Hill. The only time I visited Kirk's place was on a drag racing night a few days before the flat track was being taken out and transported out to the dismal community of Aberdeen. I was disappointed in not having a chance to try the track, but perhaps my chance will come later this year.

I think the main point I want to make in a way repeats what OLDWEIRDHERALD said. In our series, we usually mix all the racers together in a gigantic round robin...novice, advanced, expert and pro. It's obvious that in this kind of situation, we have to try to work with eachother between the pro/expert guys and the novice/advanced because there is a huge difference in speed and lap counts. I've come to learn there is a lot to learn from this format. On the other hand, in races where you qualify and race in heats, the racing is a lot closer and I would be a bit stingier with allowing cars to pass. The heats in the 2010 Worlds come to mind, I remember racing a kid from Russia in the 1/24 eurosport race. We were quite even and had some close racing. Unfortunately, I ran out of tires, he did not, and he went on the the main event. Good kid, I liked him. Then again there was Zombie in the F1 race (you Brits know who I am talking about!!!!). I was trying to get past him and he pulled a Dr. Verdo on me, brake checked me and my car went cartwheeling. Prevented me from going to the main event and I was in 9th place overall. I won't forget that move Zombie!!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Is 2012 ISRA Worlds in Finland? Are you going SCR?
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    Is 2012 ISRA Worlds in Finland? Are you going SCR?
    It's in Sweden on a really, really fast speedway track...I really can't afford to go Dustyn. I might be able to make it to your race in the Fall, either that or the Flat Track Worlds....one draw of Seattle is visiting my daughter on Vashon. Worlds was in Finland in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    It's in Sweden on a really, really fast speedway track...I really can't afford to go Dustyn. I might be able to make it to your race in the Fall, either that or the Flat Track Worlds....one draw of Seattle is visiting my daughter on Vashon. Worlds was in Finland in 2009.
    Totally understand. I would love to make it to an ISRA Worlds race one day, but definitely out of my budget. Ill be at Flats also. Hope to see you at the 500 Seems like its starting to draw a good turnout. Last years race created some great memories. The Euro podium was amazing. 2 up and coming racers finishing on the Grand Champion Podium. Great fun.

Cant wait for Flats too. Those guys put on an amazing event! Those guys run a world class raceway. Its always a pleasure going there. Its actually even more fun for me than the 500 Cuz I dont have to run the show.

Either way looks like atleast 2 opportunities to race with you this year. Nats and either flats or the 500.

On a side note, isnt it fun to read posts from all the guys on here and then meet them and get to race with them. Putting a face to the posts makes them more interesting for some reason. Maybe its just me.. hhmmmm Have a good one
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Hi guys,new to this forum.I bought a used Mosetti GT-12 car off Evil-bay.Besides getting the clearance at R/F .050/.015,I don't know how to tune the car to make a decent lap.We have 3 tracks at Slots-A-Lot ,Franllin Square NY,a King,Hill-Climb,and a Kingleman.I've been trying to run it on the Kingleman since it has the flatter turns.Car has an older X-12+ but still feels too fast.Tires spin when punched and car is very loose.Running JK treated. Nobody races these cars at the track so advice is scarce.Basics like tire choice,body type &position,weight,gears,etc would help. Chassis is .042" and has .062" rails mounted solid.Not racing so RULES do not apply.Thanks,Sam.
    Last edited by Sam pan; 01-28-2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: spelling/typo's

Quote Originally Posted by Sam pan View Post
    Hi guys,new to this forum.I bought a used Mosetti GT-12 car off Evil-bay.Besides getting the clearance at R/F .050/.015,I don't know how to tune the car to make a decent lap.We have 3 tracks at Slots-A-Lot ,Franllin Square NY,a King,Hill-Climb,and a Kingleman.I've been trying to run it on the Kingleman since it has the flatter turns.Car has an older X-12+ but still feels too fast.Tires spin when punched and car is very loose.Running JK treated. Nobody races these cars at the track so advice is scarce.Basics like tire choice,body type &position,weight,gears,etc would help. Chassis is .042" and has .062" rails mounted solid.Not racing so RULES do not apply.Thanks,Sam.
    From what you are saying, the main problem is grip and it could be treated rubber is too hard. Also, what size hub on those JKs? If the large hub, that would also reduce grip IMHO. I would try regular JK rubber on the small hub as a starter...try that and see what happens. You don't say what body is on there and that can be the other piece of low hanging fruit....throw a Starfighter long version on there, or a Red Fox Audi R10 if you prefer more scale looking bodies, or if only JK bodies are available at Slots-A-Lot, then get a JK BMW LMP body. Those are the three best bodies for a GT12. Start with those ideas. Mic? Jeff? 123? Anyone else?

You have, independent of all outside influence, without advice from "experts", solely as a result of your own observation and conclusion, discovered the need for an accessory that, despite endless discussion on forums such as this, amazingly few understand: A WIRE CHOKE.

Yea what W said......
    Why do I do this to myself?

Thanks,I'll try the small hub grippy tires.The body is a can-am,don't know make or type.Since I'm learning to drive this car I went to the scrap-yard for bodies.I'll try a longer ,higher df body after the tire change. I do prefer scale bodies,but a little added downforce is always nice.Once I get a handle on this puppy I'll paint up a R-10 or BMW LMP.I read that new rules have made some high df bodies illegal.Anyone want to sell me some "OUTLAW" bods?Thanks again for the input.Sam.

No body's have been made illegle they just changed the aceptable body's for the USRA NATS 1 race a year.
    Thanks,I'll try the small hub grippy tires.The body is a can-am,don't know make or type.Since I'm learning to drive this car I went to the scrap-yard for bodies.I'll try a longer ,higher df body after the tire change. I do prefer scale bodies,but a little added downforce is always nice.Once I get a handle on this puppy I'll paint up a R-10 or BMW LMP.I read that new rules have made some high df bodies illegal.Anyone want to sell me some "OUTLAW" bods?Thanks again for the input.Sam.
    the wire choke is a good idea I run my gt-12's with 9-13 feet of choke to tame them a little on the low end. Like SR said tires will be the biggest help when running on a flat track or semi flat. What do you have the car geared at ?
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Must have been cross posting.Just read the choke idea.I have never raced a class where one was needed.Used to race Int.-15 in the late 80s/early 90s,box-15,Oval,womps,Parma Internatinal 32,nothing with excess power.I have a DiFalco 10 band but use my old external resistor mostly.I'll see If I can borrow a choke.Thanks for the help.Sam.

Don't know what gears are in it now.Will check tonight.Building a KOFORD Gp12 W/.518 42* arm.Once I get this thing figured out I'll swap out the old x-12.Thanks for the help.This thing is nothing like the S16D flexis,Retros,or Hardbodies I race.I'll need all the help I can get if I want to tame this beast.Thanks everyone.Sam.

Must have been cross posting.Just read the choke idea.I have never raced a class where one was needed.Used to race Int.-15 in the late 80s/early 90s,box-15,Oval,womps,Parma Internatinal 32,nothing with excess power.I have a DiFalco 10 band but use my old external resistor mostly.I'll see If I can borrow a choke.Thanks for the help.Sam.
    Sam, You need to take a trip down the Garden State Parkway Feb 25 to the New Jersey ISRA Club. No better opportunity to see some of the best flat track racing on the North American continent.
    The guys there all use wire chokes and will show you how to set up that gt 12 car to run like you have never seen. They also drive them like you have never seen
    Last edited by wbugenis; 01-28-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wbugenis View Post
    Sam, You need to take a trip down the Garden State Parkway Feb 25 to the New Jersey ISRA Club. No better opportunity to see some of the best flat track racing on the North American continent.
    The guys there all use wire chokes and will show you how to set up that gt 12 car to run like you have never seen. They also drive them like you have never seen
    It's posts like this... that get me all choked up.

PK
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    It's posts like this... that get me all choked up.

PK
    You think you're choked up........Slotracer sent me a PM asking for advice about his toroids........ right after breakfast........YUK!!!