Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

ISRA 2012

will be in Malmo, Swden, 20 km for Copenhagen.

To call the track a speedbowl is an excaggeration. The track at first sight looks like a bowl of spaghetti, with almost no straights in sight. In other words: lots of bananas, and further a couple of tricky corners of camber.
    Look at this: www.malmoslotracing.se

It's a great track!!

Steen

Wow... Choking and triodes all in the same post... YUK IS RIGHT!

Sam, Bill is right on the money! Very few racers can drive a GT 12 car on a flattish track straight up. Many of us have controllers with voltage limitings chokes on them and have found that adding a wire choke in many cases is a better way to go with a GT 12. It softens the power curve without limiting you on the top end. Most controllers like the 3rd Eye Fetroller I use have a full throttle bypass so you will get full voltage at the top but if you're not careful it can upset the car coming off a turn. After conferring with Howard "the 3rd Eye guy" I added a wire choke made by Model Engineering and in testing it has made a big difference. Mic has been using the configuration for some time with success.

If you can make it to The Garden State ISRA Club as Bill mentioned on Feb 25th. You will see some great racing and pretty much all the racers would be happy to give you a hand with the setup on your car.

If you're going to build a new motor using a 518 arm and you have access to magnets hones I would suggest trying a 540/545 hole. It will make the motor less "punchy". If you haven't made the move on the motor yet you may want to go with a larger diameter arm like a 540 in a 560 hole.
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Quote Originally Posted by smichslot View Post
    ISRA 2012

will be in Malmo, Swden, 20 km for Copenhagen.

To call the track a speedbowl is an excaggeration. The track at first sight looks like a bowl of spaghetti, with almost no straights in sight. In other words: lots of bananas, and further a couple of tricky corners of camber.
    Look at this: www.malmoslotracing.se

It's a great track!!

Steen
    Hi Steen, I'm really sorry if you were offended by my use of the term "superspeedway", please accept my apology. It does look like a great track, and when I say superspeedway it is not meant to say the track is anything less than a world class track. I have seen the photos of the track already and wish I had the money to go to Sweden....who knows, maybe I will end up being able to afford it! I must be wrong in my use of that term, from the photos it looks like you can carry a lot of speed all the way around the track. Maybe you can describe which is the hardest lane on the track, and why is it the hardest. I'll give an example: on Mid America's roadcourse, the black lane is really difficult for the sharp hairpin turn at the end of the backside banana, and then it gets even harder in the section before the main chute. I have only seen, I think, two photos of your track, perhaps I am missing the trickiness of the track! Look forward to hearing back from you, and if you have more photos of the track, please post them!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Way to back-pedal there SR!

You must have missed the links to tons of more pictures of the spaghetti bowl & bananas...

Click on the "Bana" (does that mean "banana"?), then "Banbygge 2011" (which Google Translate converts to "Track Construction 2011")

http://www.malmoslotracing.se/index3.htm

For a 5 page photo gallery of pics. Page 5 offers a few more finished (not Finnish) track pics:

http://www.malmoslotracing.se/Stillm...II/index5.html (this link might not work due to treacherous spaces in URL)

The track does indeed look smooth and fast, but the tight turns do look tight! Since the design really does resemble a spaghetti bowl full of bananas... I am a bit puzzled trying to figure out if the two donuts are actually self-cancelling, or if one is actually an inverted donut... which would help to determine if the lanes are equal length, or if the outer lanes are longer then the inner.

As fast as it might look... I'm betting that you could still choke unless you have a case of roids.

PK
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

I just woke up from my nap after seeing one of the two multilayer donut bridge sections....

Actually after veiwing there is a donut within a donut plus a third figure eight donut b4 the esses....that a lot of donuts...DOH!

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 01-28-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Spaghetti bowl, bananas, donuts... no wonder I'm hungry.

That picture above reminds me a bit of I-5's jumbled up layers over the Willamette River in Portland, Oregon.

"A donut within a donut plus a third figure eight donut b4 the esses" - I have no idea how to figure out the geometry on this track of whether the cross-overs are odd, even, inside, or outside... to result in equal or unequal lane lengths. The only way to be sure would be to physically measure the lanes. (anybody got a measuring wheel there in Sweden?)

Thank goodness we always race on all lanes, in most race programs.

Now... I gotta find me a donut.

PK
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Wow,that is one twisty track.I'm hoping to build a 4lane home track version of a MTT.Maybe by then I'll have my GT12 dialed in.Will try the tips Sunday at Slots-a-Lot on the Kingelman.Hope someone has a wire choke to try.I checked the gears and they're 10/37 64 p.I think a bit tall.The motor parts are already purchased but I will try a big dia. motor also.I'll look on Evil-bay tonight.I will try to check out G.S. ISRA Club on the 25th.I'll check Race announcements to see if I have anything to race.Who knows,maybe I'll have the GT12 figured out by then.Thanks for all the advice.Sam.

Wish you could come, SR

First of all: it not my home track, as my come track is in Copenhagen, Denmark. Actually my home track is the ISRA 2004-track, which is the mother of Roger's Mid-America Monster.
    Anyway, the most difficult corner on the ISRA 2012-track is the donut on the "top bridge". It's a right-hander where the radius is getting smaller and smaller, and further it is starting to go downhill in the last 3rd of the donut. Talk about a tricky corner: Many other parts of the track can be treated as short straights, even if it's "bananas" or whatever you prefer to call them.
    On the straight you from right to left, and red lane is closest to the drivers. I think that most racers believe that red is the most difficult lane.

Steen

Hi Steen
    Looking forward (I'm a masochist) to the warm up race. A big crowd of Brits are invading. Everybody knows how much I love bananas.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by smichslot View Post
    Wish you could come, SR

First of all: it not my home track, as my come track is in Copenhagen, Denmark. Actually my home track is the ISRA 2004-track, which is the mother of Roger's Mid-America Monster.
    Anyway, the most difficult corner on the ISRA 2012-track is the donut on the "top bridge". It's a right-hander where the radius is getting smaller and smaller, and further it is starting to go downhill in the last 3rd of the donut. Talk about a tricky corner: Many other parts of the track can be treated as short straights, even if it's "bananas" or whatever you prefer to call them.
    On the straight you from right to left, and red lane is closest to the drivers. I think that most racers believe that red is the most difficult lane.

Steen
    That makes your home track "The Mother of The Monster"? Yes, I had heard Roger's track was modelled after a track in Sweden...nice you have that as your home track! Hard to see the decreasing radius on that donut on the Malmo in the photos, but for sure that would make it really hard.

The Seattle MTT heading over in your direction also has a decreasing radius donut....only one though.... and that was the most difficult part of the track requiring very disciplined "one speed" as you went down it. Undisciplined acceleration always led to deslotting under the bridge where your car would often become a mangled mess.

Getting back to Malmo, perhaps if I find some extra money lying around somewhere I can make it to the race in October and enjoy the bananas and decreasing radius donut!

Looks like a California freeway interchange! ;-)

Headed up to Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif for a quick test session preparing for next Saturday's race in Rocklin with NORCAL. I got up to Rohnert Park a bit early and decided to stop into the new Peet's coffee where Frank's Freeze used to be...corner of the Walgreens parking lot

photo-25 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

I ordered a small decaf with room for cream and a blueberry muffin. The decaf was not made up, so they poured a bag into the coffee maker and started brewing it. Then there was the call of nature, so I found the restroom. When I entered the restroom I was a bit confused by what I saw...

photo-24 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

I could only figure that maybe some customers bring their dogs into the bathroom with them? Or worse? I don't get it, but I think they are serious.

Testing went really well, I was quite happy with the two newest Bulldog 3s, one ran 3.56, the other ran 3.57. This is now with the Starfighter HD body as that is what we run in the NORCAL series. The LMP was really good, the one with the Super Wasp, ran 3.94. I had a couple of new Contenders which had been run in then sent to Camen for grinding and balancing. They were not as stout as the SW, only ran 4.1s. I have to try 8T pinions with those perhaps.

The track felt really fast, and I was able to use my FETroller with three toggles up. That works quite well, softens the lower end. Pulled out Mr. Horky and Mr. Castricone for a little 1/24 eurosport fun. Mr. Horky got down to 3.06 and Mr. Castricone down to 3.09, not bad times. With some work I believe 2.9s may have been possible yesterday, but didn't take the time to turn the tires down and really run in the lane (yellow). So, I left for home to feed the beagles.

Last night started masking a couple of new Starfighters and Audi R10s for Saturday.

Back to the daily grind of slotcar preparation. Last night masked four bodies, two Starfighters and two R10s, these for the race this coming Saturday with NSCRA at Rocklin. Should be quite a large turnout this month, racers will be coming up from Fresno and Modesto and I'm sure the Nevada contingent will be there. Anyway, got those bodies painted, dried, and cut. Tonight they get mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    Way to back-pedal there SR!

You must have missed the links to tons of more pictures of the spaghetti bowl & bananas...

Click on the "Bana" (does that mean "banana"?), then "Banbygge 2011" (which Google Translate converts to "Track Construction 2011")

http://www.malmoslotracing.se/index3.htm

For a 5 page photo gallery of pics. Page 5 offers a few more finished (not Finnish) track pics:

http://www.malmoslotracing.se/Stillm...II/index5.html (this link might not work due to treacherous spaces in URL)

The track does indeed look smooth and fast, but the tight turns do look tight! Since the design really does resemble a spaghetti bowl full of bananas... I am a bit puzzled trying to figure out if the two donuts are actually self-cancelling, or if one is actually an inverted donut... which would help to determine if the lanes are equal length, or if the outer lanes are longer then the inner.

As fast as it might look... I'm betting that you could still choke unless you have a case of roids.

PK

Black looks tough! Good luck.
    "Going Postal" is a positive term. It means providing fast, friendly service to every customer.

Paul:
    The two donuts cancel, outside on one , inside on the other.

Back to SCR...
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....