Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    the UK black I run on has .015 braid recess with cut down flag I still need .020 of spacers to get ride height. So it seems my tazer sits a little higher then yours . the chassis works great once I get it right but seamed odd to me because my mack open 12 chassis need no spacers for same track.
    Mic, it sounds to me like the guide tongue angle may be different between the two chassis, that usually accounts for a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Mic, it sounds to me like the guide tongue angle may be different between the two chassis, that usually accounts for a lot of it.
    Thank you will check that
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

1 more thing 2 degrees up is the right angle ? Thanks for all your help making a better builder 1 question at a time LOL
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Damn it!!!

What is this Tazer thing you keep talking about?

Have you got a link to a photo of the offending beast? please??

Zip, take a look at this thread, post #27. You can also see it on the Mack website. http://www.mackslotracing.com/
    Gary Johnson

Thanks Gary.

Much appreciated

Top three cars from Saturday night, the Tazer is in the middle surrounded by Bulldogs. Woof.013-6

Time to change gears once again, now working on NORCAL stuff and I already know I’m spreading myself too thin. In the past I have only raced flat track classes, namely LMP and GT12. Now, with the next race at Modesto, I am putting together a 4” NASCAR and……..a 4.5” TRUCK!! Jerry sent Frank S some 4.5” Cheetah 7s maybe about three years ago, they had big vintage bodies on them and we had a big race one Saturday. Since then, we’ve been using this same chassis for 4.5” NASCAR with Falcon motors on Frank’s blue king. Mine has been sitting in my box for a couple of years, so I pulled it out, took off the car body and removed the Falcon. I had to build up the front wheel diameter from .750” to .790” using super glue, that worked well. Next, I put in one of my Kelly set ups with the old Viper .560” 16D arm. CRASH said to gear the thing 12:44 with 72 pitch. With minimum rear tire diameter of .790” I’m going back in time. So, let’s see, I need to make a set of jig wheels .665” diameter to set my chassis at .063” clearance with .790 tires. OK, I think I have something lying around to do that. Wow, this kind of thinking is way different from three days ago when I was racing a Horky eurosport!!! Well, I better get to work tonight when I get home. Got a Ford truck body painted last night. Gotta go…

DSCN4020

Well, I finally stopped procrastinating about gluing up tires, got them all mounted on my mini axles, 28 pairs, glued and tonight they get dipped in thinner and the donuts mounted on the rims. I'm doing 15 pairs of the carbon fiber hubs, I think half a dozen .500" diameter Speedshop hubs, and the balance are just regular .400" diameter Speedshop hubs, this in preparation for the upcoming NORCAL race at TNT Raceway in Modesto. Also got the front end installed on my 4.5" truck, it requires .790" diameter front tires, so I had to fiddle around a little to get them even with the bottom of the chassis, I don't want those stupid things interfering with the chassis doing it's own work. Put in the new Pro Slot 16D with the .560" arm, geared 72 pitch 12:44. Better go now...

Slotcar Racer...

You are much too neat... that picture of your work area is not inspiring, it is actually a bit depressing.
    (at least to us mere mortals and self-professed slobs amongst us)

I don't even see any signs of glue spillage or gluey fingerprints anywhere...

I want to see a picture of your workbench AFTER you finish cutting all those tires! (and BEFORE you clean it all up again)

Let's see some good old black rubber dust on those glasses at least!

For crying out loud... your wastebasket is even empty.

PK
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OWH, I'm gonna come clean with you....that's my computer area in our office, not my work bench. My work bench has so much stuff scattered all over it I couldn't fit my tire board on it....the white surface in the office made a better photo background, and I just uploaded the photo right after taking the picture.

Getting back to the tire making, the rims are mounted to short 3/32" piano wire axles, only about 1.5" long. The next step is reactivating the glue in lacquer thinner. I saw the fancy device on another thread, however I just take a pair of hot dog tongs (the one my wife used to use to take hot dogs out of the boiling water.....now she doesn't use it anymore) and grab a donut out of the wooden box (refer to photo), dip it in the thinner, hold the rim by the axle and slide it in the donut. This way I do not even touch the thinner which I cannot imagine is a very good chemical for skin contact. The process is really fast, I'll probably have these 28 pairs done in about 15 minutes.

Got the donuts mounted last night right after getting to work. I'm going to let these set up for two days because both CRASH and Hermanator said they will grind down easier the longer they cure. So on Friday night, the plan is to install the "HOGGER" to the Hudy tire truer and do rough cuts. I've cut a small square hole in one of my COSTCO cheap tables. The square opening under the tire truer fits over the hole in the table and the rubber crumbs drop straight down into a container.

Also finished up the 4.5" truck and got the body mounted. I decided to go with a Brazilian 16D set up with the angle tip mags, and put in the old Viper .560" arm and geared 72 pitch 12:44. Also got the new PS motor installed in the 4" NASCAR and got the body pinned. Tonight I need to finish the bullet proofing on the NASCAR body, then install interiors on the truck and the car.

I hope to install a new set of Koford 3/32" axle bearings into a new Horky chassis that has never been built before. This will be the #2 Horky and as I said will be a 3/32" axle car instead of the usual 2mm. I can try out the Cahoza carbon fiber hubs on this car and see how I like it. The 2mm car can also be converted back to 3/32", but because the bearing holes have been enlarged a few thou it get's a little tricky...will need to align rear end and use gears for jig wheels. Better go now, time for "work"...

Slotcar Racer, I had planned to ask what you used to rough cut the tires down to a more workable size. You referred to the "HOGGER" in your last post, now my question is, what is the "HOGGER"?

PS. We miss you at the masters today! Are you sure that new grandson doesn't need to see his Grandpa?
    Last edited by KVAN; 02-17-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: ps

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    Slotcar Racer, I had planned to ask what you used to rough cut the tires down to a more workable size. You referred to the "HOGGER" in your last post, now my question is, what is the "HOGGER"?

PS. We miss you at the masters today! Are you sure that new grandson doesn't need to see his Grandpa?
    Thanks Kevin, I miss you guys too. In fact, I am not so much feeling like the true Slotcar Racer by missing the Masters, however I will be expanding my Scale Nats exploits by two days....now planning to race F1, 32 Euro, GT12 and 24 Euro. And yes, Grandson does need to see the Geezer. Do well Kevin, I'll be watching the live feed.

Last night finished mounting the truck, NASCAR and HD Caddy bodies....race ready....it feels good to finish the NORCAL cars.

Tonight I get the 28 pairs of tires out of the garage and start burning set screw holes, then whack off the inside and outside extra rubber, then get out the HOGGER. God I love that wheel! Kevin, the HOGGER is the rough diamond wheel for the Hudy Tire Truer that David Liebenthal manufactures. Regor had some in his counter at the Worlds. I recommend it, I can take a full sized donut on rim down to .700" in about 20 seconds. Takes no prisoners. Cut a square hole in a cheap table, position the Hudy over the hole, put a waste container under table and grind away! Better get to "work". Hurray, it's Friday!!!!!