Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    What we really NEED is more racers.and slot cars as a whole is struggling with this. Lou Pirro and I discuss this every time we are together, and we end the subject with blank stares...
    Phil, you certainly made the most important point for sure. We tend to be myopic when it comes to our own world of preferences vis a vis slotcar classes, chassis, motors, bodies, etc. But the farsighted view is a bit grim...and yes, for those who look ahead at the not too distant future all you end up with is a blank stare. This topic has been hashed over and over again on this forum and others on the internet. All I can say is, the slotcar hobby/sport keeps plodding ahead at a not very lucrative rate for the "industry" as a whole, but plods ahead enough to just stay in business. In the meantime, we all latch on to our own preferences with what we play with. Doesn't matter to me if you run mini motors or 20 mag cobalt motors, it's all slotcar racing.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Phil, you certainly made the most important point for sure. We tend to be myopic when it comes to our own world of preferences vis a vis slotcar classes, chassis, motors, bodies, etc. But the farsighted view is a bit grim...and yes, for those who look ahead at the not too distant future all you end up with is a blank stare. This topic has been hashed over and over again on this forum and others on the internet. All I can say is, the slotcar hobby/sport keeps plodding ahead at a not very lucrative rate for the "industry" as a whole, but plods ahead enough to just stay in business. In the meantime, we all latch on to our own preferences with what we play with. Doesn't matter to me if you run mini motors or 20 mag cobalt motors, it's all slotcar racing.
    I think we tend to overlook the diversity that our hobby has to offer. While I don't care for all the forms of racing, I think it is the key to it's growth.
    Alan Ingram

George,

When you mount the Starfighters are you removing the floating pin tubes? When I was mounting them for the Wade 500 I found that they would lock up the pans due to the floating pin tubes hitting the body. The car just wouldn't work that way! I finally gave up and put a O/S BentLee on. The car was .02 seconds faster with it anyway.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,

When you mount the Starfighters are you removing the floating pin tubes? When I was mounting them for the Wade 500 I found that they would lock up the pans due to the floating pin tubes hitting the body. The car just wouldn't work that way! I finally gave up and put a O/S BentLee on. The car was .02 seconds faster with it anyway.
    Gary, I think you must be referring to Starfighter on a flexi chassis. I only have one Starfighter on one X25/C11 chassis, and that is the one I built for GTP for the Nats. Only car in that configuration. In GT12, I run the Starfighter every month on my Bulldog 3 without any problems. In fact, I'm just now finishing mounting a couple for Saturday. Getting back to my GTP, I have floating pin tube up front and it works fine. The car seems OK. We'll see what it does at the Nats I guess. It sounds like the Starfighter is too hard for you to work with, that you really prefer the O/S Bent Lee. I would highly recommend you stay with the Bent Lee, please stay away from the Starfighter. You two do not mix well.

I see most folks are using the Starfighter for their HD choice. Has anyone tried the Parma Storm? How does it compare to the Starfighter?

Gary, I think you must be referring to Starfighter on a flexi chassis.
    Yes, that is what I was talking about. The X25 specifically...

I only have one Starfighter on one X25/C11 chassis, and that is the one I built for GTP for the Nats.
    That likely explains it. The C11 pans have the pin tubes much lower than the X25 pans. That is likely the difference between having the Starfighter work and not with the full floating pin tube.

It sounds like the Starfighter is too hard for you to work with, that you really prefer the O/S Bent Lee. I would highly recommend you stay with the Bent Lee, please stay away from the Starfighter. You two do not mix well.
    HEHEHE You're right, I fought with that body something fierce trying to get it mounted right. And then when I did, the car didn't work near as well as the low downforce BentLee (it was .02 seconds slower, and the car was very unforgiving to drive). Of course for the Nats I can't use the lower downforce body, so I'll take another look at the bodies available. I'll actually likely run the O/S Mercedes instead of the BentLee as I like the nose of it better. I'll likely have all three to test with when I get there though.
    Gary Johnson

My favourite GTP body is the Parma Lola (70524), but I see it is not on the USRA approved list. Anybody know why? (Not looking to start something here, I honestly don't know why. Sorry if this gets somebody going!)
    Last edited by pilmat; 02-02-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: add p/n
    Phil Matthews

My favourite GTP body is the Parma Lola (70524), but I see it is not on the USRA approved list. Anybody know why? (Not looking to start something here, I honestly don't know why. Sorry if this gets somebody going!)
    The caddy HD is legal though and is very similar with the exception of 2 indents, one on each side of the driver. The profile of the body is basically identical though.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

U][/B]". "
    What we really NEED is more racers.and slot cars as a whole is struggling with this. Lou Pirro and I discuss this every time we are together, and we end the subject with blank stares...
    I have the same blank stare
    Go fast or go Home.

Each manufacturer submits 3 bodies per class for the scale nate each year. This helps racers not have to try a bazillion bodies. Also they don't have to make a bazillion bodies for us to try.

Quote Originally Posted by topkat View Post
    Each manufacturer submits 3 bodies per class for the scale nate each year. This helps racers not have to try a bazillion bodies. Also they don't have to make a bazillion bodies for us to try.
    OK, makes sense! Thanks Herman.

And Dub, I'll have to try that HD Caddy
    Phil Matthews

OK, makes sense! Thanks Herman.

And Dub, I'll have to try that HD Caddy
    Phil,
    I would have to check the index, but Bertenstein from Norcal has commented on here about using that body w/ a BD3. He has had success with it.
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Phil,
    I would have to check the index, but Bertenstein from Norcal has commented on here about using that body w/ a BD3. He has had success with it.
    If it is like a Lola, it will have a very smooth balance (like the JK Audi coupe in LMP) that builds a lot of confidence in the car. The Starfighter just feels way too "stuck" on a Group 10, and the Storm makes the car have two distinct "ends" (much like the JK Merc in LMP). The Jersey boys I race with love the BentLee, but I have not liked it when they lent me one to try. I would have to set up a car around it as it feels very different to the Lola/Starfighter, which have a similar balance.
    Phil Matthews

"and the Storm makes the car have two distinct "ends".
    What do you mean by the above statement? The Storm is my body of choice when I race on fast tracks like our Gerding king; it is outstanding.

Agree that the Bentley is a great body for ISRA classes but need to watch the rear deck height for USRA races. In the past, when I have cut the body to 1 5/8" the deck lid is right on top of the motor. I have seen that body melt in that area if the motor gets too hot. I think it also restricts air flow into the motor...

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    I have the same blank stare

HomerSimpson9 by svtgeorge, on Flickr