Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by wjdougherty View Post
    What do you mean by the above statement? The Storm is my body of choice when I race on fast tracks like our Gerding king; it is outstanding.
    On a flat track, I found that the Storm makes the "hinged" in transition from corner entry to on-throttle. I find it hard to get the car "up on the guide" and drive it through the corner. But I can see very well this body working on a banked track, as you have some help of the bank driving the car out of the corner (I would think you could even cut the body quite low...).
    Phil Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
    If it is like a Lola, it will have a very smooth balance (like the JK Audi coupe in LMP) that builds a lot of confidence in the car. The Starfighter just feels way too "stuck" on a Group 10, and the Storm makes the car have two distinct "ends" (much like the JK Merc in LMP). The Jersey boys I race with love the BentLee, but I have not liked it when they lent me one to try. I would have to set up a car around it as it feels very different to the Lola/Starfighter, which have a similar balance.
    What track are you testing your bodies on Phil? How were the lap times? I try to be as blind as possible to WHAT I am testing, but I do look at how the car gets around the track and most importantly how the lap times compare, and how consistent the car is...how drivable is it?
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    What track are you testing your bodies on Phil? How were the lap times? I try to be as blind as possible to WHAT I am testing, but I do look at how the car gets around the track and most importantly how the lap times compare, and how consistent the car is...how drivable is it?
    The Starfighter/Lola comparison is on the Super8, UK Black (GS Club) and the Jersey Devil. Typically the Starfighter is 0.10 off the Lola. You can pound it as it is so stuck but it is slow (and the motor gets hatter to prove it).

The Lola/Storm comparison is on the Super8 and UK Black. I did race the storm on a club night on the Super8, but the track was uncharacteristically stuck that night (not too cool, humid and freshly glued for a ISRA NE race the next day) plus the fast guys were not there...

The Bentlee/Lola was on the UK Black (not many laps as it was soooooo weird!). It was a loaner body and I don't even remember how it was mounted (forward-back, high-low), as I saw right away that it was not going to work for me on the spot. I have to pick a couple up and and play with them. (a bazillion bodies to try, right Herman?)
    Phil Matthews

Wow SR, it's sounds like bodies maybe almost as personal a thing as controllers! I'm reading this body feels one way and that body feel too this way. In our testing (Jersey boys as Phil put it) the Starfight and the Bentlee are close to interchangeable. The difference is in the way they are mounted...
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

[QUOTE=pilmat;286420]The Starfighter/Lola comparison is on the Super8, UK Black (GS Club) and the Jersey Devil. Typically the Starfighter is 0.10 off the Lola. You can pound it as it is so stuck but it is slow (and the motor gets hatter to prove it).

Phil, Which did you test the long or the short version of the Starfighter? The short version is hands down the quickest body we run locally but can be less stable.
    Last edited by Jeff714; 02-03-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post

HomerSimpson9 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    George you see me how I really am I'm touched!
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    ............. I'm touched!
    Most in this hobby are at least a little "touched"
    Alan Ingram

Another 100+ entry day for NorCal. So far NASCAR is finished, seems like they ran it yesterday. The 4.5" trucks have two heats remaining and then we run LMP on the flat track. I'll run a Super Wasp again in a X25 with .025" C11 pans. Our friend Chris Chakires is home today sick with the flu..speedy recovery buddy. I remember last year in March being all prepared and missed the race due to flu...it's a drag.

Later...much later is GT12. I'll be running the usual Bulldog 3 with no weights. I tried some of the new UFRA on .350" hubs...really good, but today I don't need that much grip! More reports later

LMP...came in on red in 2nd heat, ran well on red with 38 laps. On green Hooks deslotted in the deadman and I plowed him...knocked out the motor...scurried to the pits and soldered it back in...not a scratch on the body!!!!! Ended up with 12 on green. Finished out on purple with 33 lap average...so not hopeless, just keep digging and never give up

I like your attitude.

All done, ended with 36.6 average, but wait..still a chance to take fast lap time! I had a 3.891 and Berteinstein had 3.894 last time I checked...but I'm pretty much smoked as the leaders are in the low 40s.

We're 1/3 through GT12...30 heats. Started on yellow and ran too conservatively, about a lap and a half average back. Just haven't gotten one of those nice fast heats laying down laps, instead frustrating number of track calls, about one per two laps. Oh well, what a good series with awesome competition. This little flat track is not very hard, but really fun, a top notch race track. Coming back in on red soon.

I wish I was there with you guys My Gt 12 is so much fun to drive and I just love LMP that is my class. I hope to see you at your home track next month but for sure in Modesto in april. Since I am just getting back into racing and I need to build NORCAL cars and still building club cars.
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    I wish I was there with you guys My Gt 12 is so much fun to drive and I just love LMP that is my class. I hope to see you at your home track next month but for sure in Modesto in april. Since I am just getting back into racing and I need to build NORCAL cars and still building club cars.
    Brian, I think you're approaching this really well. You are getting back into slotcars through the local programs. When you go to NORCAL, you have taken your program up a notch. Then, when you step into an airplane with a slot box in one hand, you have now taken your program to the highest level. Luckily, this year the Scale Nats doesn't need any plane ticket for you, but I strongly urge you to come to SCR at the end of March and at least run the handout motor classes even though those classes do not have separate driver levels....still those would be good classes for you to participate in. Also, GT12 will be split into amateur and levels, so you'd be able to choose which way to go. No telling when the Scale Nats may return again to California, although Frank has a pretty amazing record so far!!!

Hermanator and I left last night while awards were being presented...not meant to be bad sports, just wanted to get home as early as possible!! Dropped him off at the Hermantor Plant so he could look in at the graveyard shift starting at midnight. I got home at 12:30am and had to be at the Apple Store for a 9am lesson. Next week the guy said to bring in the computer with me.

Anyway, I've been thinking about yesterday's races and having taken an involuntary month off didn't help my ability to drive the traffic, but the bottom line was my driving was not very good last night. That's a negative, but of course is more data to use in the next race...and the next race is always the most important. On the positive side, I can be happy with the horsepower. Not sure I'm used to the FETroller.1 yet, but for sure it wrings every ounce of energy out of my motors. I'll have to check other fast times for GT12, but my last heat on black the tires were low and the motor was completely nuts. Not sure there were any other 3.5s during the race, but if there were, my hat is off to you sir! I remember when I was on blue and Berteinstein was next to me on yellow he turned 3.616 and I did 3.617, so we were flying. It was probably the best heat, we were both commenting on how good it was during the heat. Bert, love racing with you dude! Too bad Chris wasn't there, it just was NOT awesome with him out sick.

Anyway, today I have to catch up on chores, already been to the grocery store and food put away, clothes are in the washer and cooking up a couple of artichokes. If I have time today I will tear down the equipment and pull arms to send to The Old Man.