Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I will come up there very soon to run the norcal race by then I should have a 12 setup for my gt12/ I plan on racing the LMP handout race. See you soon.
    Brian
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    I wish I was there with you guys My Gt 12 is so much fun to drive and I just love LMP that is my class. I hope to see you at your home track next month but for sure in Modesto in april. Since I am just getting back into racing and I need to build NORCAL cars and still building club cars.
    Hey Brian if you need any help for modesto let me know,George can vouch for that talk to you soon Greg
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Bugboy209 View Post
    Hey Brian if you need any help for modesto let me know,George can vouch for that talk to you soon Greg
    I need all the help I can get. So I want you to tell me the tricks for the flat track.
    Go fast or go Home.

Pm me and we will talk my friend
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

SCR
    Working on a Dog 3 a fellow racer brought not to long ago but the DOG wasn't a good dog . Almost back together will be a very good Dog now .So SR your doing my least favorite thing tires .Going to be doing some soon . have to do what you did and get all my good hubs together.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Started pulling motors out of cars last night. I think I may have identified the motor soldering problem. The area at the bottom of the can where it gets soldered has been dirty and not a good soldering surface. The chassis side (X25 motor box) gets cleaned well, for the most part all solder removed and just touched with Mr. Dremel's cut off wheel to expose slightly roughed up bare metal. That gets tinned with acid flux/solder. So, that is a really good fresh soldering surface. However, the motor side was not prepped correctly.

Think of a pinion gear that spins, and you try soldering it back on but still spins. Usually that has to do with not taking the extra time with pulling the gear off, cleaning the motor shaft down to bare metal, reapplying acid flux and tinning it. Also, take a 2mm reamer and clean out the pinion hole, reapply acid flux and solder it on. A motor shaft that doesn't hold the solder is usually too dirty and nothing will hold. My motor on Saturday had that same problem...insufficient cleaning and prep work. Lesson learned.

Mic, enjoy your tire making! All those wonderful little rubber crumbs all over the place!!!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

SCR
    The rebuild of the doggy dog 3 is complete out in tomorrows mail should be night and day difference in the way it works.Next 2 chassis A Mack c-can euro thanks for the picture George I know how busy SCR is thanks for picking up the slack LOL.1/32 Mosetti euro for myself to replace the flood damage 1 from Lous and a couple new 16-d's 1 for me and 1 for my buddy Jayro and about 10 assorted motor rebuild got my work cut out for me. Will post some chassis pictures soon.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Got the Bugenis Tworoid Choke yesterday, Bill does really nice work. I could figure out how to assemble the choke, but then needed some direction on how to use it. There's a lead (monster cable) coming off the left side of the choke with an alligator and black boot. That goes to the black terminal on the track. You then clip the controller's black wire to one of the posts. Because I got the Tworoid (not the Threeroid) it is a simple 3,6,9,12,15,18 from left to right exactly like my Speedshop controller.

The only thing left to work on is reconfiguring the aluminum clip from the FET used for hanging the unit on the side of the track at the drivers panel. What I am going to do is cut the clip in half creating two clips 1-1/4" wide. I'll use the holes already there and screw it under the top plate of the choke so there is a clip at each corner of the unit....gives it a 4" wide grab instead of only 2-1/2". I'll drill another hole through the top plate and the other end of the clip so it doesn't rotate, tap it with the 4-40 tap and screw in a couple of flat head 4-40 screws 1/2" long from the old Dynamic chassis. Remember the short flat heads used for the front axle/wheel block, the weights, the guide tongue? I knew those screws would get reused some day.

I know this has been discussed somewhere on one of these boards, but what was the difference between hooking up the choke on the black wire vs. the white wire? I have always used a choke on the white wire... is this bad?
    Asking all things relevant-

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    I know this has been discussed somewhere on one of these boards, but what was the difference between hooking up the choke on the black wire vs. the white wire? I have always used a choke on the white wire... is this bad?
    I used to used hook up to white as well. I started getting some odd changes to the sensitivity of my Carsteen and tried hooking up to black. The problem went away. Since it was working I never went back.
    I am afraid to think that is why the rest of the planet started connecting their choke to the black lead of the controller.

When you hook to the black wire you also choke your brakes.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    When you hook to the black wire you also choke your brakes.
    Mike, first of all, congrats on the eurosport win at the Masters! That's huge man.

So, is there any problem with choke the brakes? What does that do? I understand choke the power and what it does to help the car become more drivable, but I think I have heard stuff about chokes and brakes around the edges from time to time. Never understood that.

Howard said to try it both ways, he didn't seem concerned it would do any harm to the FETroller. But sounds like Mr. Bugenis had some sensitivity issues with the Carsteen. I wonder what that was about?

I will be the first one to admit I know diddly squat about electronics and controllers. I only know how to pull the trigger and adjust the thing....to learn the controller. I need a controller that stops automatically when there is some piece of debris car lying across my lane. Howard, can you make one of those????

Howard said to try it both ways, he didn't seem concerned it would do any harm to the FETroller.
    This is good to know- Mr. Racer- It seems like last Saturday was ages ago, but but controller did you use at Rocklin?

I pulled out the "FETroller" (don't tell my my other controller I am cheating on her) for Rocklin and I am beginning to enjoy it! My driving style, when not dodging "some piece of debris car", is to have the first 40% to 50% of the trigger pull allow 20-30% of the power to the car... Howard recommended flipping all of the switches up and decrease the sensitivity all the way down- with those adjustments made, the controller was great! I will have to make a trip down to Slot Car Raceway in the near future to see if it is going to work for me with the ES cars- That Third Eye Guy sure knows his stuff!
    Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

From what I understand, hooking up a choke to the black wire increases the sensitivity range. I have not tried this, but that's what I've been told by a reliable source.
    that's a wrap!

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    This is good to know- Mr. Racer- It seems like last Saturday was ages ago, but but controller did you use at Rocklin?

I pulled out the "FETroller" (don't tell my my other controller I am cheating on her) for Rocklin and I am beginning to enjoy it! My driving style, when not dodging "some piece of debris car", is to have the first 40% to 50% of the trigger pull allow 20-30% of the power to the car... Howard recommended flipping all of the switches up and decrease the sensitivity all the way down- with those adjustments made, the controller was great! I will have to make a trip down to Slot Car Raceway in the near future to see if it is going to work for me with the ES cars- That Third Eye Guy sure knows his stuff!
    Bert
    I pulled out the FETroller too and Budgie is getting really mad. Your descriptions including the dodging thing matches my experience. A few weeks ago when we raced eurosport and Frank had just installed a new power supply, I simply could not drive with FETroller, it was out of control. Budgie said, "that'll teach you" as I returned to her warm embrace. Exchanged some emails with Howard ("That Third Eye Guy sure knows his stuff!") and he told me to do the same....flip up 3-4 toggles. The next week tried it on the Testarossa and I knew if I went into the dangerous "about to wreck zone" I could cut a 2.9 with either Vladimir or Piero....the FETroller was really good. So, I continued on that path a few years ago on Saturday at the last NORCAL bash. Loved it.