Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post
    From what I understand, hooking up a choke to the black wire increases the sensitivity range. I have not tried this, but that's what I've been told by a reliable source.
    I almost don't want to ask, but was that Dr. Nuke?
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post
    From what I understand, hooking up a choke to the black wire increases the sensitivity range. I have not tried this, but that's what I've been told by a reliable source.
    Actually, White should change both sensitivity and overall power. Black should affect brakes and overall power.
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Actually, White should change both sensitivity and overall power. Black should affect brakes and overall power.
    OK Alan, you say "white SHOULD change....." Why SHOULD white make a different effect than black? If black affects brakes, like Mazur said "choke the brakes".....does choke the brakes mean you get LESS BRAKING? Vegas is saying choke on the black wire INCREASES THE SENSITIVITY RANGE....so that means it would potentially be more sensitive at the top of the range and softer at the bottom of the range???

The theories about all this are interesting, but I just need to go to Frank's and try it both ways. Bill emailed me this morning and said he was mailing me a wire with a white boot on it in case I want to choke the battery like on the Speedshop controller and other controllers. Again, I just need to try it out. Time to put a practice motor in Big Piero and put in some laps on the Testarossa. Just bought a new track card from Frankie.

Track Card? how does that work?
    Jay Rogers
    Mic Byrd .....PowerPlants!!!!
    GARDEN STATE ISRA
    CRUSH GRAPHIXS...custom numbers and paint masks... just ask
    Balance By Bill Bugenis !!!!
    www.TheISraUsa.com

I'm guessing that a track card is you buy 20.00 dollars in track time and you get say 30.00 dollars worth of track time. So you end up saving 10 dollars.
    Jon Madtes
    Penn/Jesery NASCAR Series
    Motors by Mic B
    TEAM BLACK TOWEL
    Fast Tracks Raceway
    USRA D-2 Supporter

When you put the Choke on Black is it in Series with the Blast relay or Parallel?
    I'm guessing, if Series, then the Blast relay is going thru the Choke also, hence the difference in sensitivity on full power. Parallel wouldn't make a difference re: Blast relay.
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

Quote Originally Posted by madtes6i View Post
    I'm guessing that a track card is you buy 20.00 dollars in track time and you get say 30.00 dollars worth of track time. So you end up saving 10 dollars.
    Bingo. Slot Car Raceway has a screamin' deal for track time, you get FIVE HOURS for only $45. Where else can you get this much entertainment for such a reasonable amount? Not sure, but I think you save a buck an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    OK Alan, you say "white SHOULD change....." Why SHOULD white make a different effect than black? If black affects brakes, like Mazur said "choke the brakes".....does choke the brakes mean you get LESS BRAKING? Vegas is saying choke on the black wire INCREASES THE SENSITIVITY RANGE....so that means it would potentially be more sensitive at the top of the range and softer at the bottom of the range???

The theories about all this are interesting, but I just need to go to Frank's and try it both ways. Bill emailed me this morning and said he was mailing me a wire with a white boot on it in case I want to choke the battery like on the Speedshop controller and other controllers. Again, I just need to try it out. Time to put a practice motor in Big Piero and put in some laps on the Testarossa. Just bought a new track card from Frankie.
    When having the choke on the Black wire you will never get full brake. Most classes this is a good thing but I just wanted to put it out there.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    When having the choke on the Black wire you will never get full brake. Most classes this is a good thing but I just wanted to put it out there.
    Mike Not to dispute what you have said .I have used this chock with my Carsteen for 1 1/2 years now. Heard a lot of joking around about my controller and the way it looked now almost everyone around here has this set up. I have never felt or seen a difference in the way the brakes work or any difference in the way the sensitivity works. What I have seen and felt is how you can really dial a car in with this combo I wouldn't change mine .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

I never said you would be able to feel it but it is there.

20Ga wire is 10ohm per 1000 feet at 15ft of choke you have. 0.15 ohm of resistance.

So in a Typical brake circuit that is a 2ohm resistor you have a 7.5% loss of brakes at 15ft.

You can really see the difference with motors like falcon motors and yes i have run as much as 15 and 30ft of choke on falcon cars to tame down the low end grunt that they have.

and when you run the choke on the black wire you can see the difference. if you dont see the difference your contacts are dirty.

Now on the Fet based controller you will still have a 7.5% loss in brakes because the ground from the red wire to the black wire still have to travel thru the wire choke.

In most C-can and Euro cars you will not see it but you but it is there. I run full brake on most of my cars but not on my euro and when I am at full brake I want to know I am at full brake.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Mike like I said I wasn't disputing what you said but you should check your math 15 feet of 20 ga wire will have .015 ohm
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

10ohm/1000 ft = 0.01 ohms per foot.

0.01*15ft = 0.15ohms.

I was not good at math but I think i have it right.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

I'll try the Tworoid on Sunday and post a report

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	posativewireing..png 
Views:	141 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	10398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	controllerbox..jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	10399

I am not a numbers person I focus on visual. If you take a look at the diagrams as provided by PM of a standard posative track wireing diagram you can observe first hand what Mike is referring to. Using choke White has effect on the power curve and sensativity from the posative. Black has an inline effect on both the brakes and power as a whole. Power from negative goes to the left braid and the brake button. Posative connection or white on right braid. Power +/- through the motor is provided the through wiper cuircutry power band provide by the transistor variance. Once on the brake button connects the negative to the generative power of the motor it creates the "effectual short" which activates the braking power. Black is inline with red at this point. So the effect of a choke is also included in the cuircutry if inline on black.
    Generative Magnetic braking is solely determined by the regional placement of the polar flux declination as determined in the graph below showing regional magnet north shift activity from 1590 to 1990.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Earth_Magnetic_Fi&#.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	10400

Disclaimer not responisble for solar variance effecting polar activity of the Earth flux capacitor....

If you ask me which is better I would have tho add the comment: No clue...Beats me as its your personal preference....

Raymond

After I take a few Excedrin, I'll try the Tworoid on Sunday and post a report